Broken oil shaft

-

DARTLARRY

Reaction score
This is a weird situation, bit I have an oil primer that was an old distributor drive welded to a shaft. I use a cordless drill to prime the oil through the engine. I have had this tool for years and it worked great. Last night I was using the primer shaft, and the weld broke. Now the end of the shaft is stuck in the oil pump and flush with the edge of the brass bushing inside the block. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the broken end of the shaft out of the oil pump without pulling the pan? I have tried needle nose pliers, they would not fit between the shaft and the bushing.

Maybe tap on it lightly with a sharp punch in a CCW direction to see if you can knock the shaft loose from the hex; I suspect its end is mildly jammed in the pump.

If it frees up, it is magnet time.

This sounds silly, but if the weld broke, and the shaft is stuck, I wouldn't want to suppose that the pump stopped first, snapping the weld...........

there is always the chance that the pump never turned, and the impact of start up is what killed the weld

I'd protect and cover the valley, grind the end of a smaller diameter bolt to taper it down, and weld it to the stub. Weld will not stick to the bronze. Replce the bushing when you're done.

Outside the box. Know anyone with a dent puller stud welder?

Use 15 min lock tite and glue something like a 1/4 bolt to the end of it to pull it out with.
The 1/4 bolt threads will be good for the glue to get a grip on.
I'd give it a lttle more than 15 min to set though (half hour would do it)
Just clean the oil off the end of it first.

I use that stuff all the time for oddball crap like that.

-
Back