Budget 360 build in heavy car- Which cam?

-
You might be able to use stock pushrods but you'd be better off measuring with a checking pushrod once the heads are on with head gaskets and getting a new set, old factory pushrods often have some variation in length which can do weird stuff at higher RPM.
I have a pushrod length checking tool, but pushrods are just one more thing to buy, so if I dont HAVE to, I'd like to try not too. Then again, I can always throw the tool in and just see, for purposes of not being a hack lol
Just curious, Why is it killing it?

I get it’s a little much for this level of build, but even a fairly stock 360 gonna make peak tq around the 3000-3500 rpm stall especially with a cam.
Ill take the "bait"- Its not overkill at all lol...that's a very OLD mentality to have with converter technology coming as far as it has. Your logic makes perfect sense, and hence why I want a converter that will get me up to peak torque quick, and when I shift the rpm drop should still keep me there.
I can't get into the op's head as far as his tolerance for a ''mostly street'' heavy car. The converter preference and MVB leads me to believe he's looking for more of a hotrod type ride then some of us realize. I've built a few like that myself, but others i've done with good low end torque, a modest gear like a 3.23, and a aggressive timing curve with a lower stall turned into a great stoplight to stoplight beast and i never missed having to jump on the revs every time i wanted to accelerate a little heavy. Just a real nice pull up through the rpm range.
Yea, I thought it was pretty obvious from what I listed in my original post that im not looking to put it in drive and cruise to the local bingo night like some old fogie. I want my cruiser (or i guess correct term would be hot rod) to have some balls and be fun to drive. Ive driven with 5500 stall converters on the street and never had an issue, in fact I loved it, so I know a 3000 stall would work well for this combo.

Going to see what my converter does with the combo in front of it and then i will go from there on converter choice, but I know it will most likely end up there (3000) and like it

Ill take the "bait"- Its not overkill at all lol...that's a very OLD mentality to have with converter technology coming as far as it has. Your logic makes perfect sense, and hence why I want a converter that will get me up to peak torque quick, and when I shift the rpm drop should still keep me there.
That's what I wasn't understanding, even if 360 kept mild/stock and a 3000-3500 stall wasn't required couldn't see how it would hurt the combo, thought I was overlooking something. Thanks

A very old mentality may suite but….. is the converter an old school converter? How do I know this? I have to error on the side of caution since it could be a old school converter.

Now you said cruiser and then out in parentheses, hot rod. Two different one sets in my head! Even with 3.55’s and a 26” tire, you’re still looking at reasonably matched cams your said you wanted to drive around on with some trips to the track? Sounds like a regular old cruiser car to me the way we did them in the ‘70’s and ’80’s.

The duration @.050 you listed at first are 220 & 226. I have a 226 hyd roller in the wife’s ride we cruise around in. IMO, this is t a fast car and the combo is a total street ride. Just extra power moved up in rpm with the camshaft. A 2800-3200 max stall is a good match for the Hyd roller 226@050.

Sure! More won’t hurt if it’s a good recently built converter. The ‘70’s were very different.
Yea, I thought it was pretty obvious from what I listed in my original post that im not looking to put it in drive and cruise to the local bingo night like some old fogie. I want my cruiser (or i guess correct term would be hot rod) to have some balls and be fun to drive.
This is what I was thinking you were saying. The ability to cruise with a good “Go Pedal” feel. Good street performance!
Ive driven with 5500 stall converters on the street and never had an issue, in fact I loved it, so I know a 3000 stall would work well for this combo.
Modern converters that is! LOL!
Going to see what my converter does with the combo in front of it and then i will go from there on converter choice, but I know it will most likely end up there (3000) and like it
From the slight change in view point via the description you left, not the first feel of the first post, I think you will enjoy it.
Looking forward to your report!

A very old mentality may suite but….. is the converter an old school converter? How do I know this? I have to error on the side of caution since it could be a old school converter.

Now you said cruiser and then out in parentheses, hot rod. Two different one sets in my head! Even with 3.55’s and a 26” tire, you’re still looking at reasonably matched cams your said you wanted to drive around on with some trips to the track? Sounds like a regular old cruiser car to me the way we did them in the ‘70’s and ’80’s.

The duration @.050 you listed at first are 220 & 226. I have a 226 hyd roller in the wife’s ride we cruise around in. IMO, this is t a fast car and the combo is a total street ride. Just extra power moved up in rpm with the camshaft. A 2800-3200 max stall is a good match for the Hyd roller 226@050.

Sure! More won’t hurt if it’s a good recently built converter. The ‘70’s were very different.

This is what I was thinking you were saying. The ability to cruise with a good “Go Pedal” feel. Good street performance!

Modern converters that is! LOL!

From the slight change in view point via the description you left, not the first feel of the first post, I think you will enjoy it.
Looking forward to your report!

I dunno man, aren't all of us driving "hot rods"? If I wanted something to drive that was completely tame and good for commuting, I'd take the wife's lexus lol

I kinda thought with a stock bottom end, those cams I was asking about, a converter with an rmvb, and the fact that my only experience is with solids and rollers, that it would have been obvious I want something with some kick in the pants, but I guess I could have been more clear. Cruising a slow aint my thing.

Modern converters are awesome, id never screw with an old one, but I think even older ones with 3000 stall wouldn't be too bad. I mean heck certain Chrysler factory ones stalled 2800.

This is a winter project, but hopefully going to be tearing into it soon.
Mshred ,Melling has a pushrod that is .030 longer than stock for less than $40 from Rockauto. 1972 DODGE DART 5.2L 318cid V8 Push Rod | RockAuto More Information for MELLING MPR405
That is great to know, thank you!!

I dunno man, aren't all of us driving "hot rods"? If I wanted something to drive that was completely tame and good for commuting, I'd take the wife's lexus lol
LMAO! Well, in my mind we’re all driving hot rods but this not actually the case. I just wanna make a bad assuage give bad advice to you or anyone here.
I kinda thought with a stock bottom end, those cams I was asking about, a converter with an rmvb, and the fact that my only experience is with solids and rollers, that it would have been obvious I want something with some kick in the pants, but I guess I could have been more clear. Cruising a slow aint my thing.
Low riders in Cali will disagree…. YES! I know you don’t have a low rider…. No I’m not to fond of them ether, but I do respect them.

One day you may be for a roller?!?!
Modern converters are awesome, id never screw with an old one, but I think even older ones with 3000 stall wouldn't be too bad. I mean heck certain Chrysler factory ones stalled 2800.

Yea the more beastly engines got those 2800 units. Drove great they did!!!
Again, I just didn’t wanna assume. For a spirted ride, no problem.
Otherwise, I’m thinking it may be a bit much and there is another aspect, your own tolerance.

Just curious, Why is it killing it?

I get it’s a little much for this level of build, but even a fairly stock 360 gonna make peak tq around the 3000-3500 rpm stall especially with a cam.

I'm not trying to bait you, I'm not looking for an argument, I don't think I know? :) why I'm asking, I can't see the overly downside unless his converter is super loose and effecting drive ability or something. Converters are one the things I'm the least confident about other than the basics.

That's what I wasn't understanding, even if 360 kept mild/stock and a 3000-3500 stall wasn't required couldn't see how it would hurt the combo, thought I was overlooking something. Thanks

And then, after I read all of this, I know your reply was just bait.
I knew you knew but yet you asked.LMAO!

Ehhhhh, if I’m wrong, then it’s out of caution or stupidity.
Ether is readily possible!

But I knew you knew! You’re not dumb. Nor is @273
Honestly. I was not into a big reply and details.
On old school converters, the older they are the more they do nothing until….. LOL! If his is 5-10 years old, I wouldn’t worry. The manufacturer of the converter also has play in this.

I agree very much so in your line of thinking. I don’t know how it’ll drive and if I myself would like it much but this among many many things is how the driver of the car likes it.

Carry on brothers! I’m off gallivanting around with the neighborhood hot rodders.

Last edited:
You need a big *** rowdy cam, min 5000 rpm converter, and 456s with a spool. Tunnel ram with a couple 750s. Go big or go home.

I disagree with your choices, and many of the suggestions. An advertised 206/212 camshaft or Crane's 693901 (Crane 693902 with lifters) for a HEAVY CAR, that CRUISES, with throttle response. Having more horsepower at top end doesn't fit this description. the crane has torque come on at idle, or 700 rpm, and all done at 4500 rpm for the hp band but people claim that they have run that camshaft up to 5500 rpm no problem. This puts the torque right where you described the purpose of your car. An advertised 204 to 211 for the intake would be what I believe that you should be shooting for. I cannot imagine a more appropriate recommendation given your described requirements. Best Wishes and please tell us what you end up selecting and how well you feel it performs.

I disagree with your choices, and many of the suggestions. An advertised 206/212 camshaft or Crane's 693901 (Crane 693902 with lifters) for a HEAVY CAR, that CRUISES, with throttle response. Having more horsepower at top end doesn't fit this description. the crane has torque come on at idle, or 700 rpm, and all done at 4500 rpm for the hp band but people claim that they have run that camshaft up to 5500 rpm no problem. This puts the torque right where you described the purpose of your car. An advertised 204 to 211 for the intake would be what I believe that you should be shooting for. I cannot imagine a more appropriate recommendation given your described requirements. Best Wishes and please tell us what you end up selecting and how well you feel it performs.
I respectfully disagree on that one. The smaller cam of the 2 that I posted is the smallest I'd go. A cam like that crane, mine as well run a stock cam in my eyes. I say cruise, but I'm not looking for something docile that will have "excellent street manners" as so many people say...I could care less how I accelerate away from a light driving normally, I'm more interested in power when I stomp on it- so something that won't be a complete dog with the lowly stock compression bottom end, a good converter, and my lead heavy right foot should hopefully get me what I am after, while still being able to put around just fine.

I will definitely keep you guys posted on what I end up doing, and how it performs. We will see...either epic failure or epic fun! lol

I respectfully disagree on that one. The smaller cam of the 2 that I posted is the smallest I'd go. A cam like that crane, mine as well run a stock cam in my eyes. I say cruise, but I'm not looking for something docile that will have "excellent street manners" as so many people say...I could care less how I accelerate away from a light driving normally, I'm more interested in power when I stomp on it- so something that won't be a complete dog with the lowly stock compression bottom end, a good converter, and my lead heavy right foot should hopefully get me what I am after, while still being able to put around just fine.

I will definitely keep you guys posted on what I end up doing, and how it performs. We will see...either epic failure or epic fun! lol
I missed stock bottom end. Then you want a Whiplash camshaft from Hughes performance. That would run up the compression the best, BUT the two camshafts I quoted literally would, "more interested in power when I stomp on it- so something that won't be a complete dog with the lowly stock compression bottom end, " put you back in your seat. Those two choices are not stock cams, yet they would work with a stock bottom end.

I didn’t think about those line of cams. Good idea.
The Whiplash, Thumper cams, Rattler cams, all along the same thought line. Low LSA numbers, lots of overlap for their size.

-
Back