Budget interior tips and ideas

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
So eventually I want to spruce up the interior in my 72 Duster.Right now it's blue but I'm going to change it to black but I don't want to spend 1000s of dollars doing it.Right now,it has blue seats,front bench that are decent but are worn out in areas but no rips.The door panels are decent but have small tears here in there ,the dash pad is gone.I still have the dash pad but it's missing chunks on it so I can either get a molded cap or I can strip the dash pad down to the frame ,weld in some metal to cover the holes,smooth it out and paint it,or just fill in the holes on the dash and not even put on a dash pad.The headliner is the board type so I can paint it or cover it with headliner material,the armrests have holes. and there is no carpet it has the rubber mat that is basically still in good shape but I do want to put carpet in it.For the seats I was thinking of just getting some black racing bucket seats and just eliminate the backseat or just buy some pre made seat covers.The door panels I was thinking about covering with new vinyl material,or maybe even replace them with sheet metal.The steering wheel I was thinking of replacing it with a Tuff wheel,or just a simple Grant wheel .I'm not looking to restore it to original,just make it look good.If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

So eventually I want to spruce up the interior in my 72 Duster.Right now it's blue but I'm going to change it to black but I don't want to spend 1000s of dollars doing it.Right now,it has blue seats,front bench that are decent but are worn out in areas but no rips.The door panels are decent but have small tears here in there ,the dash pad is gone.I still have the dash pad but it's missing chunks on it so I can either get a molded cap or I can strip the dash pad down to the frame ,weld in some metal to cover the holes,smooth it out and paint it,or just fill in the holes on the dash and not even put on a dash pad.The headliner is the board type so I can paint it or cover it with headliner material,the armrests have holes. and there is no carpet it has the rubber mat that is basically still in good shape but I do want to put carpet in it.For the seats I was thinking of just getting some black racing bucket seats and just eliminate the backseat or just buy some pre made seat covers.The door panels I was thinking about covering with new vinyl material,or maybe even replace them with sheet metal.The steering wheel I was thinking of replacing it with a Tuff wheel,or just a simple Grant wheel .I'm not looking to restore it to original,just make it look good.If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

black, lite weight speaker box material.

Go to a fabric store, Joanns by me. I have found some great material there for a truck I redid, kind of.

Redoing my dash now. Dash pad was the cheapest part I've bought ( for what it is). Took out instrument panel, glove box door and now going to take out center part for painting. Thankfully the wood grain look is still ok. A LOT of masking, satin black, metallic . Followed metallic with polyurethane so it will take more abuse. Not looking too bad for a rookie dog.
Have found felt tip paint pens useful for touch up, followed by rubbing with purple metal polish after paint is completely cured to help it blend in.

I painted my door panels black (from brown), painted the rear seat with black leather paint.
Used regular black paint on the roofliner, applied with a roller.

Front (BMW) seats were already black. I used black nylon carpet, sliced in 3 parts (front left & right and in front of the rearseat).
Mounted a console between the front seats that covers up the splitseam in the carpet nicely.

I have been keeping my out for some bucket seats but no luck.Maybe I'll take a trip to the boneyard and see what I can find.My other issue is I would love to update the seat belts.I feel like I'm suffocating wit the current hook on stock seat belts and I really don't feel safe wearing them should I get in an accident.

The interior hasnt changed much here since I took the pics.I know ebay has seat covers that would replace the fabric covers.I think I may just leave the 6.5 speakers and replace them with new 3 way speakers.(I really hated that the PO put holes in it)So,this is what I'm working with here.You can see the wear spot on the side of driver side of the bench seat.

Attachments

• Picture023.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 267
  • Picture024.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 273
  • Picture027.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 260
One thing I hate about those seats is when I fold over the driver side seat,it hits the horn and goes BEEP!

And if someone gets in the back seat on the drivers side and puts their hand on the seatback for support it goes BEEEEEEEP!!! Lol

Well,I came up with a few ideas and theme for my interior.There is no way it's going to be all stock .But here is what is on the drawing board so far.The front bench is for sure coming out in place of some racing buckets.The rear seat I may just get new upholstery for it.the factory seat belts are coming out and are going to be replaced by some harnesses,of course I'm leaving the back seat seat belts.The dash pad I'll either just leave it off weld the holes shut,or I'll figure out something unless I can find a dash pad somewhere.Year One has them,but my God they are expensive.The door panels I may just cover them with vinyl.I have a plan for the dash cluster but it does need work to look good.The previous owner or someone cut the dash for a DIN Stereo so it's going to get a modern sound system with bluetooth,Iphone USB and AUX inputs.The column shifter is for sure coming off in favor of a B&M or Hurst automatic floor shifter.I'm not sure which one.I may go with a cheap Z Gate,or Starshifter.and I'm going to grind down and smooth the area where the shift indicator is and shift lever.I saw a thread on here where another member did the same with his column for a manual transmission swap.I wont modernize it,too much but to restore it to stock will be too costly and out of my budget.If I can do most of the work myself,I will without outsourcing anything.My armrest pads on both doors are shot but I will attempt to repair them myself.New carpet for sure.

oh,I forgot I do have a small rust hole on the driver side floor.It's not too big and that's the only rust only on the floor.No biggy to fix.Thinkfully it's not too bad.

-
Back