Building a new 505 With Callies / Mopar Performance Block

-
More parts crank, rods and pistons. Block machining will be done this week fingers crossed!

20231027_125025.jpg

20231027_125033.jpg

20231027_125042.jpg

20231027_125154.jpg

20231027_125302.jpg

20231027_125314.jpg

Good luck with your build. Have you considered e85? That and a toilet injection system will add torque and some hp over gas, and down low where your combo looks like it will shine. If your car wieghs 3000 race wieght, i don't see low,low nines as out of the question in good air .

I am looking at all options including injection. I am considering all the pros and cons of, E85, alcohol and race gas. I still have not made the decision yet.

Block is back from machine shop looks great. Spent the extra money and had the block ultrasonic cleaned. I have to admit it was really good. Cleaned it again anyway just to be sure.

20231128_080518.jpg

Block is back from machine shop looks great. Spent the extra money and had the block ultrasonic cleaned. I have to admit it was really good. Cleaned it again anyway just to be sure.

View attachment 1716171913

Always wash, wash, and wash a block again with soap and water after coming from a machine shop. I then coat the bare surfaces with transmission fluid till it ready for rebuild.

I use transmission fluid too! Block has been cleaned at least four times. Some areas five and six times.
I clean so that I am totally satisfied and then my OCD kicks in and I do it again. Better safe than sorry!

I use transmission fluid too! Block has been cleaned at least four times. Some areas five and six times.
I clean so that I am totally satisfied and then my OCD kicks in and I do it again. Better safe than sorry!

Good luck and enjoy your build. Nothing better than putting an engine together

Drag race only. Hoping for some low to mid 9 second passes next season fingers crossed. Prices have gone up so much in the last couple of years my budget is already shot!
Thanks for sharing. You have some nice pieces there. I'm sure it'll run mid-9's regardless. Any idea how much the car will weigh?

Updating car and chassis hoping not to add too much weight should be around 3k with driver.

Finally, some of the parts are arriving so hopefully this project can continue. Valley Plate showed up today. Oil pan and windage tray came in last week. The timing cover should be here any day. Now if the timing chain and gears would show up, I could make some progress.

20231212_173114.jpg

20231212_173633.jpg

20231212_173643.jpg

SWEET BUILD!!! I think I have decided what to do next winter....lol

How much was the block if you don't mind my asking?

Bought it a Roseville Moparts in Michigan they had the best price. $5895.00 plus tax and shipping. I live close enough, so I picked it up and saved the shipping also because I paid cash, they did not charge me tax. All in with fuel and machine cost I am about $7200 to $7300. I found a great machine shop in Michigan to do the final boring / honing. They also checked the deck height, installed the cam bearings, checked the crankshaft bearing clearance, ultrasonic cleaned the block, etc.
If I had known about the machine shop at the time, when I bought the block. It would have saved me a trip to Michigan and about $150 bucks worth of fuel. Live and learn.

Last edited:
That’s a nice piece, I have the same one, it’s a work of art.

-
Back