Building a slant for torque

-
And see......this is where I question the program. The next engine has more compression, less camshaft and WAY MORE cylinder head AND good quench.....so I still think something's missing from the equation. It's still a ton of fun putting it all in to see what comes out and I appreciate your time on it more than you know. I wish we were local to each other. We'd get into all sorts of mischief.

So you are thinking that by upping the compression because you are using a longer duration cam has about a 1:1 nulling effect. The amount of loss of low RPM torque can be countered by upping the compression? That I have not seen especially once the compression get to a level I seem to recall it starts to flattens out around 10:1 and you need more to make the same extra power than when you are jumping from say 7.5:1 to 8.5:1.... but I have slept many times since then.

Since when does an engine have to have a lot of horsepower and fuel mileage to be a subject of affection.

I love my slant and it gets horrible mileage and not much torque, and it's slow.

Since the 68 dart got rear ended, I'm moving the slant and OD to a clean 75 dart body.

I love my slant because I am living in a free country where I do what I want.
Yup, just how it's supposed to be. As you know, there's always somebody that has to piss in your Corn Flakes.

So you are thinking that by upping the compression because you are using a longer duration cam has about a 1:1 nulling effect. The amount of loss of low RPM torque can be countered by upping the compression? That I have not seen especially once the compression get to a level I seem to recall it starts to flattens out around 10:1 and you need more to make the same extra power than when you are jumping from say 7.5:1 to 8.5:1.... but I have slept many times since then.
No, the new build has less duration and more compression.

No, the new build has less duration and more compression.

Correct, I am saying a one point increase in compression once you are already in the high 9's does not give as much as a 1 point jump if you are starting in the 7's.. Again that is what I think I remember.

Correct, I am saying a one point increase in compression once you are already in the high 9's does not give as much as a 1 point jump if you are starting in the 7's.. Again that is what I think I remember.
I go along with that. Compression in the current engine is 10.2. New engine will be around 10.5 or 10.6.

Yes, it is. Look at the top of the page. It clearly says "Slant 6 Engines" so yeah, it is in the slant 6 section of the forum.
no, it is not
look at the top of the page...it clearly says "for A bodies only dot com"

THAT is the forum we are in
as you so poignantly pointed out, we are in the slant 6 section of the forum
but that does not make this a slant six forum, any more than you being from Georgia makes the entire United States Georgia

semantics, you know

So I upped the head flow to what a good aftermarket small block head can flow... bam... 270 ft-lbs of torque at the same 4000 (1.13 ft-lb/cu-in) and 25 more HP at 4800 RPM to 225HP (1HP/cu-in). Now a bigger cam and carb should help that.

Ok ran that and nope...ran that and not much change. So I did this without opening up the ports in the model. The stock'ish ports will limit power to those numbers. I opened up the ports (head and intake) from and average of 1.3" diameter to 1.5" and now she is hitting a resonant point with VE over 100%!
276 ft-lbs of torque (1.23 ft-lbs/cu-in dang good) at an increased RPM of 5000 RPM and 275 HP (1.22 HP/cu-in dang good) BUT as expected larger ports push the peak number up in RPM to almost 6000 from 4800.

This is all just foot stomping what we already know, we need a better head for a slant..

I have never dynoed or gone very far but I can tell you that i got my slant in the valiant wagon with the long runner intake running. It can make two solid black tire marks in front of the house.

I have 3.73 limited slip 8.8 from a ford ranger and a 833. I let the clutch off easy and then mashed the gas pedal. The black marks were solid and then I shifted to second and backed out of it because it was wild.

Sucked through a gallon of gas pretty quick.

20200623_180120.jpg

20200731_124009.jpg

no, it is not

but that does not make this a slant six forum, any more than you being from Georgia makes the entire United States Georgia

semantics, you know.
:realcrazy::rolleyes:

no, it is not

semantics, you know

i'd say that's more didactic, personally. but we can all be pedantic about it if we choose.

If you want to increase tq by any large amount like 300+tq, a turbo that comes in at a low rpm would be the way to go.

If you want to increase tq by any large amount like 300+tq, a turbo that comes in at a low rpm would be the way to go.
IF I was a turbo guy. I am not.

Yup it is the only way to get there with the factory head

i'd say that's more didactic, personally. but we can all be pedantic about it if we choose.
its not so much about being pedantic as it i am just a guy fed up with people trying to change definitions of things

holy ******* hell what is that monstrosity?!?? i don't watch UTG (one rambling video was enough) so this whole swiss cheeze mobile is all new to me.

jesús de christo i'd hate to be anywhere near that rolling at speed....

I'm always interested in what folks have done to squeeze torque out of a 225 slant. Please feel free to offer your knowledge here!

@Jim Kueneman, in the Peanut Gallery Survey thread, you noted the following:

Too bad you left Az you could have driven our Dart to see if that what you would want. Rusty and I just got a simulation model of the 225 that seem very accurate we could run with different components and relate to mine. Ours is 100% max torque build from 3500 and down and the model shows it.

What are the details on your build to get max torque up to 3500 RPM?
See what you started troublemaker! Lol...

The unique [ for an inline 6 ] long intake runners on the slant give it a head start for tq, & so does the short rod/stroke ratio.

Wrong thread, & that's a lot more work than You think, see @JohnFM3 's thread...

If you're not supercharging, you're leaving torque on the table.
Nitrous? Are you just going to leave it on drip or what?

-
Back