Building up a Dart

Which engine

• Total voters
-
Just a plain old strong 360 buildup will probably be your best bet as far as cost and power goes...I have always HATED BB is A bodies(after having a buddy with one and trying to help him shoehorn it in then trying to work on it an get stuff to fit like headers,starters,etc,etc,etc..just a PITA).

chasb said:
I VOTE BIG BLOCK

Chas

Hey chas I like your style. Back in the early 70's the first car I ever modified (with a friend who had the money) was a 69 Dart Swinger. We stuffed, and I mean stuffed, a 440 under the hood with fender headers and souped the bejesus out of that bullet. Only problem was not roasting the tires off it until we put a couple slabs of lead in the trunk. What a rush. :burnout:

My son's car only looks more like a racer because it spent most of its life that way. It's got a mild 383/4sp/3.55SG. He used it to go back and forth from Fresno to San Luis Obispo many times.

And, I will say it again. It is NOT HARD TO MAKE ONE HANDLE. It is not any harder than making a small block a-body handle or brake. I've owned a few of each and you really don't feel the weight over the front if the car is built correctly.

There has never been a better time to build a big block a-body due to the parts available. If I had all the parts all lined up I could throw one together in a weekend.

I don't hate BB A bodies so much for the handling...for me a NON-Mechanic that does not have a ton of tools,lifts,etc,etc...its just the ease of maintainance. After helping my buddy try to install headers,change starters,plugs and all that jazz..thats what I hate and to me why its just not worth the hastle....they are just NOT fun to work on with the tighter clearances..I mean i cant remember if he had to actually take out the power steering and go to manual mabey cause if "issues" (i dont remember casue this was back in 1990) but I just remembered he loved driving it but hated working on it.

I dont hate tham either. I've also had/built a few, with 383s and one 440. It's "just easier" and cheaper in general to not do it. I can change plugs in 1/2 hour with hot headers, I can get headers for less than $300, and they are lighter, plus the stroker idea adds more stroke (read as torque) than any big block came with, while using all the same support items. Bigger is not always better, and in this case, I wouldnt try to sell him on it.

Maybe you wouldn't try to sell him on it, but I would. It's a matter of a difference of opinion. I've owned, maintained, and driven both over the last 28 years. The only a-body I have that is remaining a small block is my 68 GTS convertible. I have also used both for daily transportation.

Go pick up a cheap 400 and make it run 11's real cheap with 400 cubes. You dont have to stroke the 400 to have an easy 11 second A-body with a 400. My boys Dart is a .030 over 400 with KB pistons and the steel 383 crank (same stroke as 400 crank) and bone stock Eddy heads thats 10.2 comp and runs on 93 pump. Its a real street car driven everywhere including to the track as he uses 3.91's. Has run 11.50's. You can use iron heads and do some home porting and run about the same. It handles great and if you got some spare cash you can always throw a 440 crank in her and make a 451 that would be no problem to put in the 10's on 93 pump. Ron

Grinder said:
Not sure when or if I will but, I would like to keep the option open! Just in case I want to restore it and show it off for how rare it is! I mean this is the only Spirit of 76 Dart Lite I have ever seen or heard of! I have heard of one or the other,but not the same car having both packages!
you nailed it there grinder! go with the 360. a crate 360 motor would work nice, but just don't cut it up, and keep everything you take off. document it with lot's of pics so you will remember how to put it back. this is a rare combo. i have seen only 1 before in person and 1 on ebay that was gutted.

Just Curious here.... I vote for the 360/904 combo. That's how I'm building mine.. I think the BB puts too much weight up front. A well built 360/904 with a converter surely should push an 3200lb a-body to a 10.5 ET run... After that you need a competition license, Dont ya? And at that ET (10.5 or less) I don't think the car will be too streetable. Maybe I'm wrong .. Just my .02

If you don't use a column shift you can put in a B or RB with the B body manifiolds and only have to trim the column tube just a little to flush it with the firewall. You will have to lightly grind the bend in the drivers side manifold for the RB to clear the steering shaft though. Running 2 1/4 pipes all the way with a good "H" or "X" pipe really adds to the bottom end power. I made my own elephant ears out of 5/16 plate and had the waterpump housing milled accordingly for stock pulley use... (factor in thickness of dual gaskets). For you guys up north you may never have had the heating issue but.... My daily big block drivers had issues in the summer untill....... I started using the 195 degree or higher thermostats!!! Yes.... the hot thermostat cools better in the summer or in stop and go driving because ...... it slows the coolant down allowing it to transfer/exchange more heat. Much cheaper than an aluminum radiator..... HTH

BD

I'm agreeing with everyone who said the 360. It seems the best fit for what you're trying to accomplish. I am faced with almost the same dilemma. I have a 360 with aluminum heads that I'm building up however, the power that can be made from a Slant and the fact that it's different attract me to staying with my Slant. In a nutshell, if I were you, I'd go 360. If I were me (am I?), I haven't decided what to go with yet......

-
Back