Bumper Boyz... Stay Away!!!

-
5.00??? Wow they paid my price for mine.Maybe they didn't have any cores for lil reds.Any way I have had Highline do a bunch of plating for me and people that I know and it has all been great.Of course I don't try to get a cheap price either.

here is the problem we have with tri city bumpers..

all those darker dots are the chrome starting to rust or corrode. they are all over the rear bumper and starting on the front even though i can't get a good picture of the front bumper. the friend that we bought the car from is a clean freak and i know he took care of the bumpers and i have cleaned and kept wax on them since we have owned the car (not even a year yet). he got the bumpers maybe 3 years ago at the most. i can dig out the reciept but don't feel like it right now..lol bottom line is its cheap chrome.. it still looks good from a distance but isn't gonna be long before it starts popping all over the place.. pay more for the chrome the first time around so you don't have to do it twice is all the advice i can give.

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

I/we have bought around a half dozen bumpers from Bumper Boyz....always at the Nats (no shipping/visual inspection)...never a problem.

they have taken some nasty cores from us....

Of course they turn those nasty cores into rechromed bumbers too :-k

My dad has his 66 Cuda bumpers done 26 years ago in "show chrome" and they still look awesome, just like they were done yesterday. This was done here in St. Cloud MN (at the time Northstar), the place is now called Keystone automotive, I think they ship them to their Brainerd MN location to be plated. My dad just had his 59 Dodge Sweptside bumpers done there a few years ago....flawless!!

If I could save one other person from going through the headache that I have, this post was worth it. Funny, Bumper Boyz has an "F" rating on the BBB too. I dont have a single nice thing to say about their service, products, or emloyees and the owner. Nuff said.... I thought TriCity has a lifetime warranty? Thanks for the responses,
Erik

Nice.....Send them a copy of this thread,maybe they will realize that people are talking and that bad news gets around fast ! Just a thought

Every time I've seen an ad for Bumper Boyz (and , yes , that spelling bothers me as well :tard: ) I've always thought to myself , This is seemingly too good to be true , especially for a Cali-based business .

You can't get *real* chrome plating done in good ol' Cali . Unrealistic , overzealous environmental regulations have destroyed that possibility
( thiis for you Mary Nichols and Jerry "The Condor" Brown : :finga::finga::finga::finga::finga::finga: ).
It's been that way for absolutely years now !

So , while I'm definitely not defending Bumper Bozos , I will say that I'm certain that at least half the problem is the lack of *legal* , accessible plating .
Then there's the other very real possibility that they're sending parts to neighbouring Mexico and having said parts plated there ; zero enforcable environmental rules down there !

I have bought several bumpers from The "Boyz" and had nothing but good relations. I had to exchange one and they did this with no questions asked. I have never heard a bad thing about tri-city until today

contact the attorney generals office in calif and register your complaint. They will get it straight

Did you pay with a credit card? They'll resolve it for you if so. It's almost always worth the extra headaches to use one because they are vicous on dispute resolution...

I don't think that problem is actually the chrome,Joe
To me it looks like the prep work as in the copper and nickel that would cause whats going on on your bumpers or the lack of those materials.
Just my 2 cents
Doug

Bumper Boyz? Are you for real? Just the name is so ghey I wouldn't ever use them. Mega ghey.

Had one experience with Bumper Boyz several years ago. Bought a rear bumper for a 70 Cutlass I was working on at the time from them while I was at a Carlisle meet. 6 months later while I was detailing the car the polishing cloth I was using snagged on the left edge of the bumper and off came a 3 inch piece of chrome plating. The Boyz then proceeded to tell me that I must have chipped it in this area while installing the bumper and that they weren't responsible.
A BIG thumbs down for the Boyz from California.

Used Keystone for my Dart and have show chrome

Very happy with them, but there was a place on the front bumper that looked like it had been touch by a grinder before chroming, they said return it and they would redo ASAP, in less than 2 weeks I had it back and perfect

I look at BB stuff and seen how much the bumpers had been worked to straighten, at that point decided my bumpers were in good shape and didn't want they straighten stuff. But it took 2 different platers to get what you see on my car. My original set was done by someone that was recommended, they didn't straighten the slight bend in the right side and the plating was thin on the rear. Took another set from my parts car and had KEYSTONE plate them

Keystone was bought out by LQK or is it LKQ, anyway they are body shop supplier

Good chrome is hard to get, EPA has made it hard on them, only the older shops that could be grandfathered in to do it the old way can give you good chrome

i though it was common knowledge on most forums to stay away from the bumper boys..

don't use tri city either. looks good when you get it but it doesn't last.

I kinda agree tri city is hit and miss they did front and rear for my bee
10 years ago they look just as good as the day I got em back

both mine are tri-city--the front you can tell where they welded the jack slots closed but chrome is looking good only 4 years now,The back when I first installed started peeling around the bolt holes you could pull the chrome off in pieces,Called them they paid shipping back and replaced it and had the bumper in 2 weeks-no problem with the new one--With these problems I would think it all has to do with the prep work before they are chromed --I'm starting on a 68 Valiant and now don't know where to go-Would like to see a amd in person--Steve

tri city i used there bumper for years no problem now i get my stuf from ted stephens performance andits cheaper and with a warranty hell yea ..................my other chrome work is done in nashville tenn perfect plating lester the owner 615 650 8888 hes been doing all my other chrome work and polishing for 20 plus years if you get a problem he fixes it

That is a first. I've never heard the words" Ted Stephens is cheaper" from any body else. I wanted a rear clip from a 66 Polara a few years ago. He wanted $3500.00. He is known as if you need it and can stand the price, buy it from Ted.

Got a front and rear bumper, for my 66 Cuda, from Bumper Boyz, a few years back. Rear is still OK. Front started rusting after about 13-14 months. One year warrentee, they would do nothing. Still on the car, and I tell people where it came from.

The end result was me buying the front bumper I needed from cuda mike. Since I had converted my rear bumper to a 70-72 duster rear bumper, I had my old one laying around. Cuda Mike took that in for a core. Seems like a good guy and I am happy with the look of the bumper. Hope it stays that way. I called Bumper Boyz and asked if they would buy my core they had of mine so I didnt have to drive again to a show to pick it up. They offered $50 and I took it. I am relieved to be done with Bumper Boyz. Never again.

So, long story, but I'll try to keep it short....
Bought a bumper off of Bumper Boyz in March. I was at the swap meet and looked through a few and thought I found a good one. Not so. Chrome rubbed off and flaked after I brought it home and tried to polish it. Also, they jacked it up around the bumper bolt holes so the bolts didn't sit flush. Told them I was not confident they could produce a good part, didn't want an exchange because I already looked through all the shitty ones they had, and wanted my old core back and a refund at the next show close by in May. They argued some but agreed. So, come May, I drove 1.5 hours, paid to get in, only to find out they forgot to bring my core and didn't have any cash or check to refund me. I was a dumb *** and left with them the bumper I bought initially. He wrote me a statement saying he would send me a refund check and ship out my bumper at his expense when he got back to LA. This was about a month ago. Now, he is claiming the owner wont pay to ship my core back and I have to pay the shipping. $70 they say, or I can wait two months and drive two hours to the next show around here. They also keep putting off sending my refund. They said today they have to balance their books first.... It's been almost a month since the refund was supposed to take place and they still have my original core, the one I bought, and they have almost $400 of my money. I've heard every excuse imaginable. I'm about to blow a gasket. They have provided me the worst possible buying experience anyone could have. Do yourselves a favor, and don't make the mistake I did. Stay away from Bumper Boyz.
wow sorry about your luck these guys are assholes to the extreme

Check with the Latin boys see what their Chrome and their lowriders with they only get Triple Nickel

-
Back