Bunch of snowflake pansies......

-
I'll take the disc brakes 6x over the drums... LOL. Drums do fine in slower traffic, but when we took our old '70 Dodge truck into Denver and traffic went from 70 mph to 0 and then back to 70 and back to 0 on Interstate 25, well, the third time I had a peddle that was up but drums that were hot and no stopp'n….. LOL I managed a quick exit up a ramp and had to let it sit for a 1/2 hour.
holy smokes I visited Denver several times and what in the hell is up with their driving! 0 or 90 one of the two...

Don't get me wrong I think it's totally cool and lots of fun...
just like riding a moped LOL

holy smokes I visited Denver several times and what in the hell is up with their driving! 0 or 90 one of the two...
my wife's folks lived in Denver till the last 2 years. I hate Big City driving anyways, but them guys are nuts. You get 3 blinks and they cut over. 25 comes to a complete stop and the takes off like the Indy 500. It would get me so tense the back of my neck muscles would just ache by the time I got to their house.

My daily driver 68 dart has drums all around and it stops strong. If you need more than one panic stop a trip, the problem is not the drum brakes...... its the defective driver
Probably so. LMAO
The Valiant has 4 wheel drums and stops very well. I've never had issue with drum brakes.
DITTO
Don't get me wrong I think it's totally cool and lots of fun...
just like riding a moped LOL
BUT you just don’t wanna get caught riding it by your friends.....

My first car was a Mopar of course. A 65 Dart 270 sedan with a HP273 and a 3 on the tree. Dang that thing would scoot but powershifting 2nd was a tough thing to do. I would lock the shifter up andI would have to hammer it back into neutral to get going again. I kept a hammer under the seat. LOL You either had a 3 on the tree, a 3 by the knee, or a 4 on the floor with a 5th under the seat! :rofl:

Although some of these items are a thing of the past, to me they’re still present day. I have drum brakes on 3 of my cars, and they work just fine. The column shift is another thing, learn how something works and it’s easy to use. I’m teaching my son how to drive everything I have. I let him drive the plow truck all the way home from a job far away. He proudly told his mom that he drove all the way home and she freaked out. “How can you let him drive that thing” was what I heard, but I want him to be able to handle anything that comes his way.

I called a local restoration shop to see if they would be willing to repair some rust on one of my cars, but keep as much of the original paint as possible. They started talking about how they would swap out the drums for Wilwoods, and a bunch of other stuff I didn’t want, I want as little done to the car to keep it original, but that is the new mentality. Needless to say, I will not be going there for any reason. It’s the woosification of America!

Although some of these items are a thing of the past, to me they’re still present day. I have drum brakes on 3 of my cars, and they work just fine. The column shift is another thing, learn how something works and it’s easy to use. I’m teaching my son how to drive everything I have. I let him drive the plow truck all the way home from a job far away. He proudly told his mom that he drove all the way home and she freaked out. “How can you let him drive that thing” was what I heard, but I want him to be able to handle anything that comes his way.

I called a local restoration shop to see if they would be willing to repair some rust on one of my cars, but keep as much of the original paint as possible. They started talking about how they would swap out the drums for Wilwoods, and a bunch of other stuff I didn’t want, I want as little done to the car to keep it original, but that is the new mentality. Needless to say, I will not be going there for any reason. It’s the woosification of America!
I 100% agree on the part changer stuff LOL my son's a mechanic and that's pretty much what he does and all he knows how to do for the most part, but I'm trying to change that of course. I'm going to try to get him to own his first timing light in his 10-year mechanic career LOL and I really like all this old stuff, but would I change my stuff to that? no.

I drove this 72 swinger special around for 2 years with a 318/ 3 on the tree.

Towards the end of the two years before I parked the car, the linkage was the problem.

One time at a red light, the 1st gear lever came loose so I was stuck in 1 st gear. That wasn't a good thing to happen when I was in a hurry. I burned myself on the exhaust manifold, trying to fix it in a hurry.

Another time it came loose and I needed to back up. So I had to put it in reverse by hand, backed out, turned the car off, manually took it out of reverse and then I drove with 2nd and 3rd home.

Then, the last day.....I was driving and heard a clank clank on the highway (sounded like a Chinese name) and it turned out to be the 1st/ reverse linkage rod. I tried to find it but I never did find it on the highway.

I parked the car and set out to 4 speed swap it. (Never did) Now I would go back to it if I could find parts or a set up from another car.

View attachment 1715304494
That is a beautiful car!! I'm jealous of that! I'd drive that sucker as is! I love the color with the grandma wheels

Loved the way my 66 Valiant drove/stopped and shifted, made me look like an old pro for 7 years of daily driving with some fun at the track :thumbsup:

Wait !! I am an old pro when it comes to shifting on the tree :lol: ain't I @FISHYPETE :D

AHhhhhh the 3 on the tree! My first car at 16 was a 49 chevy circa 1962. Yep on the tree dal. If I stopped in Third , the sucker locked up, had to get out and open the hood and flip the rod up, Then it would fall out of 2nd IF I did not hold the lever up, First? it just jumped out of gear! OK so it was a Chevy!
Next was the 64 Ford Custom 289 and yep 3 on the tree. Ever try to speed shift a 5000 lb Ford with a SB and 3 on the tree!!??? ha
IF anyone needs the shifter linkage for my 62 Lancer with yes, 3 on the tree, holler , just pay postage! It is gtting a floor shifter Hurst box!!! Yep 3 speed.

We had two nearly identical 62? Chev 1/2T service trucks. One, the shifter would easily get bound/ jammed between gears stuck in second. So you had to "nurse" it back to the shop, get a big screwdriver, and crawl under and pry it out again
I remember those Chevy truck column shifter problems... My next-door neighbor's dad had one that did that, as did the '64 short wheel base C10 that I drove for the Roanoke TV station for my summer high school job. The big screwdriver was the 'repair tool' of choice for that problem LOL

Yes you are! You went through the gears in the old Sweptside like a pro.
Loved the way my 66 Valiant drove/stopped and shifted, made me look like an old pro for 7 years of daily driving with some fun at the track :thumbsup:

Wait !! I am an old pro when it comes to shifting on the tree :lol: ain't I @FISHYPETE :D

Drums vs discs! Like arging about motor oil. I have no problem driving in my "rural" environment with my 71 slant duster, new 9 in drums. Pretty light car. I do like my discs in the heavier 76 Roadrunner with a 318, much heavier car. NO I never had any need for rear discs personally! Some people seem too want thus.
Cell phone, I am old and don't need it. ( Got one tho, sits here on the desk) ... Yep, I can drive across country with a road map, screw GPS. Fast food,?? I rather eat a horse apple.

The Valiant has 4 wheel drums and stops very well. I've never had issue with drum brakes.
Agreed. I have locked all 4 up on my 66 Dart a couple times as needed. No issues here. Now I will say, a dual master cylinder would be safer and disc would help with the brake fade in the hills over by the Mississippi River but that's what downshifting is for! LOL You have to drive the car for how it is built. I don't drive it like a soccer mom drives her suv, cruising up to the stop sign and slamming on the brakes at the last second. :BangHead:

It's simple really....and I can tell you get it. You just don't push the boundries with drum brakes. You don't put yourself in a position to have to make a long hard braking stop. Then they can fade. They were never made to stop on a dime and give you 5 cents change.
Well actually the only issues with drums on stock cars is that they were chronically undersized..... If they are sized right, and you use the right shoe material, they are 100% fine.

I raced with the stock rear drum setup on my Opel rally cars but they were huge for that size/weight of a rally car..... 9" diameter x 2" shoe... bigger than the early A cars rear drums, on a car several hundred pounds lighter! I would have the shoes lined with 'police service' linings, and upsize the rear wheel cylinders from 16 to 19 mm for more rear brake bias, and the rear drums would not fade even when the front discs and pads were getting hot and starting to fade a bit. So it is all in the sizing and lining, which Detroit did badly IMHO. OH, and JC Whitney shoes were notoriously bad LOL

The one situation that discs consistently do better is when soaking wet. Drums WILL have issues when water gets inside; water seems to get thrown out right away on a disc setup.

I think the bottom line here too is that drivers who have not grown up with drum brakes, column shifting, and older cars in general tend to drive them like they’re new cars. You simply can’t follow Bumper to Bumper with an older car. You need to think ahead, an attribute lost in most younger drivers. And you need to put together the limitations of your equipment with those factors and drive in a respectful manner in relation to all of the criteria involved! Oh, and put down the cell phone while you’re driving, something almost impossible to do with younger drivers! And many older drivers too for that matter!

The biggest problem I have is trying to turn and shift at the same time without spilling my coffee.

First time I drove a 3 on the tree was from a 59 rambler I purchased back in 2008 when I was livin in az. I thought it was coolest thing ever going through the gears shifting in the column. Took me awhile to figure out the down shifting from second to first since it had no sincro for 1st to 2nd. Sold that car and bought another one 4 years ago but was a push button automatic. That was also cool but Tranny was going out so went to a junk yard and found a complete manual setup with overdrive which I ended up swapping it over. The overdrive tho I still get a kick out of it. Love driving these old cars! Did upgrade to disk brakes tho.
This was my first rambler

EEEE1871-C363-442C-9EDD-7CD49CAE21E4.jpeg

Hears the one I have currently which I fixed up

B0AFB95B-B60E-42A7-80F5-C5388C429BEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Driving od cars with drums I like pulling a 32 ft. gooseneck stock trailer full of cows, and then figuring your trailer brakes are not working, ( usually the case). You do not ride the guys bumper!!!! You KNOW you can not stop as quick as you might like! Common sense tells people some things. Like get the trailer brakes fixed!!!! Yea right!

-
Back