Buried a friend today :(

-
I am so sorry for your loss. I had to put down my minature Dachshund about a year ago, He had become paralyzed in his rear. I kept his legs wrapped with vet wrap and cleaned them with disinfectant every day.( I had bought him a set of wheels but it did not work for him.) I did this for about 8 months. Then I could sense he was getting an infection, so I made the decision I knew would come. I sat with him in the vet's office trying to hold back my emotions. Hardest thing I ever had to do.
I think of him almost every day. I remember all the good memories which were a lifetimes worth. . A dog has an uncanny ability to give us a certain joy not to be found anywhere else on this Earth.

Just went through this Saturday. He and I both fought for the last week to let him keep a chip in the game of life but time gets us all and that's the story line. He and I were thick as thieves and will be missed.

I have done my share of saying goodbye to my furry friends and it never gets easier. But each one of them would not want me to waddle in sorrow and not go find another rescue in need. I suspect a short break is in order to regroup from my loss but some unsuspecting furry friend will make it's way into my heart. It will happen just as sure as the sun will rise in the morning......

RIP Pudd.....

JW

Image1560261554.jpg

My thoughts go out to you. Dogs are a great part of the family and bring so much into everyday lives. Our dog has slowed down a lot, he will be 15 soon, but he still keeps the yard safe and on warmer days he can sort of chase a squirrel

To the memories and the smiles dogs bring

IMG_8765.JPG

Sorry for your loss. I lost a 3 yr old mini Dachshund due to a massive liver infection. Took me a year to get over her. I have a rescue pooch now, and will continue to rescue from the local humane society

We have an old lab (wife's actually) , 15 !! she is deaf as I am! blind in one eye, maybe a little senile, but still is fat and enjoys life best she can.. I go out every am and nudge her to see if she is still alive!!

Sorry for this loss. At 67 I have lost a few great pets as well. Guess you have to reflect on all the good times they gave you. A great book is The Art of Racing in The Rain by Garth Stein. Its a story about life from a dogs perspective who is owned by a race care driver want a be. Gets sad in a few places but the ending is way cool.

A wise cowboy philosopher once said "When I take the keys to my pickup and say 'Wanna go?', the dog is the only one who doesn't ask 'where ya goin?' No, he just jumps up, tail wagging and hunches down ready to jump up onto the tailgate.
I miss the days when my old mutt was young enough and spry enough to make that leap. He can't do it any more, but still my pal.

Its time to reveal my mental defect ( one of a few I suppose ). I fall in love with a blue eyed husky pup. I even teach them to wink. I do like other breeds and we have had other breeds. Raised and sold 3 litters of Cocker Spaniels back when indoor breed was all we could have. Our friends have long haired dachshund. Such a sweet and beautiful girl. I could pet her all day.
I got Roxanne ( Siberian Husky ) right after we built this house. She was the best dog I've ever had. Damn close to the best friend I've ever had. Nikita? She was Nikita. Never more or less than herself. She taught me real quick that she had no need or desire to replace Roxanne. I learned that I didn't want her to be more than her true self. Anyway...
Somehow I feel I'm seeing deeper into their heart and soul through those bright blue eyes. If I had a nickel for every time I've said "Gimme a wink?" over the past 30 years...
I'll just have to stay away from them.

Last edited:
I am so sorry!

Many of us understand the depth of your pain.

Puppies.jpg

We lost Gunny, the Lab in the center this year!

They are all hangin' with my little buddy Cheeko and his predecessor Motley. I hope they are chewing on juicy steak bones and laying on the porch in the sun.
RIP, and thank you, to all of our buddies, they gave us undying love and loyalty.

:thumbsup:

It hurts to lose our friends, but the fact that we love them as much as they love us is comforting and heart warming. God bless you sir....

Sorry for your loss Redfish.

We’ll be looking at the same thing with one of our kitty’s before long. Picked him out at the humane society as a kitten about 15 years ago. Jeffrey is his name and he is absolutely the sweetest boy cat ever. Now he has stage 3 kidney failure. We have to give him saline injections every day to keep him hydrated and we feed him special prescription food. Vet gave him a year to live, and that was two years ago. He’s still lively and perky as long as he gets his saline. But his days are numbered.

E32E5D07-84C6-47DA-B8CF-80B36E3856D5.jpeg

I have an old lab I know we will lose soon. It hurts just thinking about it.

But the worst was when I had to give my one year old saint to a shelter when my daughter was moving home with my grand children. She didn't feel safe with him in the house. They stayed for a two weeks and moved out. I had to watch him look at me as he wondered where I was going. I still tear up.

spoiler pics 490.jpg

spoiler pics 154.jpg

!CID__0507121926.jpg

2013-10-02%285%29.JPG

From Jim Stafords rendition of Mr. Bojangles... "I wonder why a dog don't get to live too long, But it still has to die old?"
We've known this day was coming for about 6 months.
So literally, I dug a grave. Nikita rests right beside Roxanne. Roxanne? That was 17 years ago. I sure aint the man I used to be. I hurt all over! Which brings to mind another lyric..."I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance. Crying again.
I hope yall don't mind too much my sharing this here. FABO is the closest thing to social media that I do.

View attachment 1715141352
So sorry I cant believe I didnt see this till now. I also had to lay my great friend down on Feb 12th also after almost 12 great years. It never gets easy.
Deere mower 001.JPG

I've reduced my dog lot to a pile of materials. Dog house for sale. Deleted most of this post. Decided not to share my postpartum mind games. Peace to all.

I've reduced my dog lot to a pile of materials. Dog house for sale. Deleted most of this post. Decided not to share my postpartum mind games. Peace to all.
I learned the cure is another dog, They all need a good loving home for their short lives. Keep the coupe you'll get another one that will need it.

I understand, don't give it another thought.
Years of bonding does that to the heart.
9 years later and I get watery when I think too much about it. I lost 2 , sisters and a yr apart to renal failure.

It sux man...... Gene Hackman said it best in the Wyatt Earp movie (life is about loss.) It's ok to be angry and grieve over the loss of your best friend but there is another one waiting for someone who loves their animals to bring them into their lives so think about that before closing the door for good.... Time will heal all.....

I have kidnapped the company dog a time or two since losing Pudd and it really helps to make sure I keep a chip in the game of pet ownership. Everyone is different but it works for my family and helps to endure the loss.....

JW

I have an old lab I know we will lose soon. It hurts just thinking about it.

But the worst was when I had to give my one year old saint to a shelter when my daughter was moving home with my grand children. She didn't feel safe with him in the house. They stayed for a two weeks and moved out. I had to watch him look at me as he wondered where I was going. I still tear up.

View attachment 1715148198

View attachment 1715148199

View attachment 1715148200

View attachment 1715148201

Beautiful lab.... Yeah, I am little biased currently lol....

JW

-
Back