But I Would Have Sworn They Were Left Hand Threads

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Sometimes being an "expert" Mopar fanatic can actually work against you. Case in point, this '65 Valiant Signet Convertible which has been around the block more than a few times. We should know that through '69 model year or so, Mopars use left hand threads on the driver's side lug nuts, correct?

Like I explained above, all of the driver's side left front wheel studs have an "L" clearly scribed on the end of the stud, how convenient. With that same verification in mind, who would need reading glasses when moving back to change the driver's side rear tire? Not me.

Get out my magnifying glass to find "R" printed on the driver's side rear tire lugs. Wait a minute, this is 1965, right? Well, if one turns the yellow letters upside down that are found on the 7 1/4 differential cover, one can clearly make out the number "1974". Well, I don't envy the next owner who decides to rotate his/her tires some day (snap!).

Differential.JPG

Did you measure? Someone might have done a conversion.

I swapped tires and rims with my '65 Barracuda and all four rims went on. Maybe the yellow script on the cover is not 100% accurate?

A: we're assuming the 74' is correct.
B: wouldn't be suprised if the place that installed the new rear swaped the axles from the old one so it wouldn't have two diffrent size wheels

Disc or drum make a difference in later years? Found this on another FABO thread, don't understand what they are talking about exactly:

"4" center with 5 lugs. The bolt pattern was the same for KH disk brake cars through the 72 model year. In 73 it changed to 4½", but only on the disk brake cars."

I told you above. All A bodies were small pattern if they had drum brakes, and large pattern 73/ after if they had optional disk brakes. Earlier cars with optional disk were small pattern

When I replaced axle seals & bearings I swapped the left rar to RH threads as the right front has the KH discs with RH threads. Gonna write RH threads on the brake drum!

Yup drum brakes kept the small bolt pattern all the way to 1976.

I told you above. All A bodies were small pattern if they had drum brakes, and large pattern 73/ after if they had optional disk brakes. Earlier cars with optional disk were small pattern

Pretty much, except starting in ‘73 all the V8’s got front disks standard. So front disks were only optional on the /6 cars. Also, if you got an optional “towing package” on the /6 car it automatically triggered front disks. There were a couple other options for the /6 cars that would result in front disks as well. And all the ‘73+ front disk cars were BBP. So ‘73+ the only way to have a SBP car was to get a /6 car with front drum brakes (which were all 10” drums too)

In January of ‘76 all mopars went front disk, so that was the end of the SBP and the remaining ‘76 model year cars were all disk fronts and BBP (allegedly anyway, ma mopar and all).

My ‘74 Duster was a /6 car, but it came with front disks so it also had a BBP 7.25” rear.

-
Back