Buying a car without a title, but how do I get one?

-
IF your state allows bonded titles.

FL just started allowing title bonds BUT the previous title MUST be a FL title.

That's kind of limiting and .....how can you be sure?
I assumed they applied the paperwork through various states (even if yours isn't compliant) basically accomplishing what the community DESPISED with vin plates. 'Lawyers "making" it legal.'

When I lived in Georgia I managed to register a 1991 Subaru Loyal (with cheese) without registration and a 77 volare-no one knew where these cars came from but maybe the junkyard i got the subaru from and some backwoods relative of the man that had the volare rotting in his yard.
In Texas, a 'friend' sold my 1984 buick lesabre out from under me without my title and registered the car as well.

Though I see your point, some DMV's are more relaxed (especially outside of the city) in some states than others.

Was the car previously titled in your state?
No, it was from the east coast. The DMV lady said it is actually easier if it was from out of state. Likely less research available so they simply don't. I don't know

Well, I'd like to thank everybody for their help, but I no longer need help. I was set to go down and pick up the car tomorrow, and then noticed that the listing had been marked as sold. I contacted the guy to thank him for marking it sold and I would see him tomorrow, and he informed me that he had already sold it to somebody who just walked up. Everything had been negotiated and I had already rented the hauler and was set to go and he pulled this little piece of joy. All is well though, I'm picking up a different one tomorrow that's in better shape so in the end it worked out better for me. It's still a crappy way to do business.

Thanks again folks!

Probably for the best!

I'll bet the buyer did not due his due dilligance like you did and will end up with a registration nightmare.

No paper trail, no registration.

Sounds like a blessing in disguise.

Indeed. In fact, the one I'm NOW picking up has the correct 360 (with a mild cam), 727, 8 3/4 3.91 Sure Grip rear, and the original Rallye wheels, and all the sheet metal work is done and car has relatively new paint. What I'm not overly excited about is the 3.91 gearing, as I'd really like to be able to take highway trips, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to change the gearing, or how pricey it would be to go to something with a little better top end, less "off the line" performance. I'm not sure yet which center section case it has. This is my first Dart since I owned mine in 85, and mine was essentially stock. I'd love to go down to something closer in the "3" neighborhood, but right now I know enough to know that I DON'T know much about which one to favor. Too low and I won't have decent take off, too high and I'll never feel comfortable about 55 mph. :) Too bad there was never a 4 speed auto or overdrive that would bolt up and go. Or was there? I love a manual, but my back issues preclude the use of a clutch.

So it's :easy to get a title" like a lot of ads for no title cars say IF:

you hire a DMV inspector and have a friend that's private investigator and/or a repo man.

Sounds easy to me now.
I didn't "hire" the DMV Inspector. He works for the State of NC. He simply ran the VIN to see if there were any liens or if it was stolen. He did all he was legally allowed to do, and requested that I stand behind his computer screen so I could not see any info like who it was last registered to because as a law enforcement officer, he is not allowed to pass that info on. As far as the PI, yeah...I do feel very fortunate to have a network of friends with lots of different jobs. I always help them too when they need me.

I don't know about SC, but here is what you might consider doing. You went to a DMV office, and they said it was impossible. Go back to that office and ask to speak with the manager. Explain the situation and see what they say. If the manager says NO, then go to another SC DMV office and ask the same question. In my opinion, the bottom line is that if SC DMV says no, then I would not do it. You risk losing what you spend. I don't like the idea of going through other states to get a title and then going back to your state to register it there. Do what you want, but if my DMV said no, I wouldn't do it.

-
Back