Buying parts on FABO

-
I don't care for paypal either, but if you send payment as a "gift", you're out of luck if the seller does not send the item.

Just be careful who you're buying from....my .02

C, you just beat me to it. Marking your payment as a gift eliminates all buyer protection you would otherwise be entitled to. I discourage my customers from checking that "gift" box when paying for work just for that reason. In case something happens, I want them covered.

Leanna, I didn't have any problem sending paypal for those beautiful valve covers you just did for me. Had to get that little plug in!

Leanna, I didn't have any problem sending paypal for those beautiful valve covers you just did for me. Had to get that little plug in!

Thank you Joe! I'm glad to hear you had a relatively painless paypal experience and even gladder (is that a word?) to hear you're happy with the results. Feel free to toss out a plug anytime you like -- I won't complain!!!! :love7: I appreciate your business.

Shrugged it off??? That's ridiculous,

Yeah, it sho nuff is. I am chasin an intake I sold back in October. It never showed so I launched an investigation. The PO sent my shipping lable back to me taped to a form. The label had obviously been cut off my box with a box cutter and purposely. I have yet to get my claim paid. I may have to end up refunding the buyer out of my own pocket. I lost my *** on the intake to begin with. It was that REAL nice BB offy I had. It sold for a tick over 100 and I got 30 shipping. I paid 159 plus shippin for it, but we were in a tight spot last year and I needed to seel some stuff. I sold it but it is going to end up costing me twice over.

I've always used money orders, no problems. FABO members have always done right by me, a few have been truly amazing. If someone has been an active member for a long time, chances are they are not going to spoil their reputation by screwing you over. Sometimes I will spend a few minutes reading thru a members previous posts to get a vibe on them. Good communication is key, photos are very helpful, ask questions, agree on details like method and date of shipping. PM's are a good way to communicate, if someone doesn't respond to repeated p.m.'s, you can click on their profile and see if they have been logged on the site. Sometimes people travel for work, or they have a family emergency.

I use both Money Order and PayPal.I like PayPal best cause it,s quick.Waiting for a money order in the mail,then waiting for it to clear,takes time.PayPal is just a click and money is sent or recieved.I don,t mind paying the fee for PayPal,usually a money order cost about $6.Since using PayPal,I,ve had zero issues using it.(2 years)and about 50 transactions.

Ok so thats all good info. I contacted the seller in question. He is a FABO member, I went to his public page, checked his stats and nothing good or bad reported. He has alot of FS posts so I'm thinking he's OK. so I will go the POMO route.
Thank you everyone.

I have done tons and tons of transactions right here on FABO. I used to only take Money Orders, and never had any kind of problem with them. I was more or less forced into Paypal to help some customers with the ease of transactions. It definately boosted some of my sales, and it is pretty much painless. Yes, Paypal has fees for the ease of transactions, but if thats what the buyer wants then they can pay the small fee....its not bad really. I have even consumed a lot of fees since it doesnt make or break me. As far as trusting someone ? ? Thats all a big leap of faith. Do some research, have good comunication, and most of all dont sell/buy something that if the deal goes sour your not going to eat for a week. Just keep in mind all transactions are simply between you and the buyer/seller. How much faith do you have that you are going to get a smooth transaction. Yep, there is a chance that the part gets lost in shipping... or damaged. Good communication between both parties should be able to clear the concern. Both parties just have to expect that something beyond their control can happen. When it does.... the way its handled is what counts. When you play the game there is a chance of winning ...or losing. Luckly enough when you hang out on a forum long enough you figure out whos who in the swap meet world. I have numerous and i mean numerous repeat customers from here and for that I consider this a great site with great people.

-RPM

I am confused about the comment that sending funds via a paypal gift transaction is a sign of dishonesty. I have purchased may parts from here via the paypal gift transaction. I always execute the transaction as soon as the deal is struck so the seller has the payment before the item is shipped.

I prefer not to do the Postal Money order due to the hassle of having to go the the post Office to get the money order and a stamp to mail it with. I understand the reasons that it protects the transaction and would do so on large transactions but on items under $200, I feel it is more trouble than it is worth. I generally take the burden of the risk on the transaction for the seller and give the benefit of doubt that they are a honest person.

I have been fortunate to have worked with many good honest folks here. I also trust my intuition and if I get cold feet, I notify the seller that I will pass. Not saying it is the right answer for everyone but it works for me...

Jesse

I am confused about the comment that sending funds via a paypal gift transaction is a sign of dishonesty. ...

It can be construed that way if the person you're sending money to asks you to mark it as a gift. If YOU decide to mark it as a gift you're saving the paypal fee charged, but you're giving up your buyer protection in exchange for it.

It can be construed that way if the person you're sending money to asks you to mark it as a gift. If YOU decide to mark it as a gift you're saving the paypal fee charged, but you're giving up your buyer protection in exchange for it.

Wow :iconbigg: I did not know that "mark it as a gift you're saving the paypal fee charged, but you're giving up your buyer protection in exchange for it" Thank you this morning :flower:

I agree, buying through PayPal is easy.....selling is expensive and intrusive. I don't like giving sensitive info to anyone so I don't take PayPal but since I take credit cards through a traditional bank system, they can be used over the phone. Sometimes that gives a buyer a bit more reassurance when they can talk to the seller. Money orders and cashiers checks are fine too. Check a sellers feedback on here or on E-bay. That will give you a good idea who you're dealing with....not a perfect system but better than nothing.

Wold it be bad behavior to openly ask if anyone here has had transaction experience with a member?

Case in point... I recently attempted to purchase a 1973 B200 van grille from a seller on ebay. It was priced right but the shipping was stated as "just a guess" and the seller said he would "charge actual shipping". After a couple communications with an intent to purchase the item, I messaged him asking to have an accurate shipping quote and included my zip code for calculating. He responded that he "ships a lot of trim" and "guessed" that the shipping would be another $30.00 over his initial "guess" in his listing, and another $20.00 on top of that for him to package the item securely. This was with a little over a day left before the end of the auction, at a time when he should have already had it pre-packaged for shipping, knowing I was an interested buyer. I wrote him back stating that I was not going to bid without him providing accurate information, and his item ended with no bids!!! He lost a buyer by not doing what he was eventually going to have to do anyway, provide an accurate shipping quote!!! Yea, I lost an item I really wanted, but without honesty and integrity on his part, he is the actual loser in this deal!!! Geof

Yeah thats ridiculous. I wanted to buy some sail panels on ebay a few years ago and I had to contact the seller for a shipping quote. He said it would be $50 to ship them. I told him no thanks because I knew it would only cost $20. He got mad and responded back (in caps) saying not only did he have to supply the box and packaging (old newspaper?) but he had to take up his own time to box everything up and go down to the post office. I get that time is money, but time isn't money if you would have just been sitting down watching tv instead of shipping some parts. This guy wasn't taking off work to package these sail panels. People think that the seller should pay some kind of hourly wage for the "labor" they put into shipping the items.

I could see if it was something you'd have to make a crate for or whatever. But stuffing two pieces of metal into a box with newspaper isn't work if you ask me. This guy wanted me to pay for the box, the newspaper, his time, the shipping, lunch on the way to the post office, gas to get there and back and his bar tab on the way home. No thanks.

FYI... for anyone unfamiliar with it... this is a good source for reporting any fraudulent transaction that takes places via the internet, be it a business, auction site, or transactions between individuals (such as would normally be the case here):

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

I had to use it one time for an eBay transaction that eBay was not helping out much with. I do not do a lot of transactions with individuals, and have been fortunate with the transactions I have done, and in this one particular case they were able to help out and recover what I lost.

Shipping via the Post Office is also an excellent idea for the reasons previously mentioned.

Wold it be bad behavior to openly ask if anyone here has had transaction experience with a member?

FABO feedback scores show openly under a member's user name if you look in any of the For Sale / Classifieds subforums. The "Search" key at the top of the page can be used, the user name can be filled in and certain forums can be marked for the search.

As to your question, I personally don't think it would be bad behavior ... but I'm an open and honest woman who has nothing to hide either. :-D

Being a seller of items here, on ebay, or anywhere is a job, I don't care how you label it.

My opinion is this...if you are going to sell items then you must be prepared to picture them, list them, describe them fully, buy or find packaging supplies, package them, weigh them, send communication and answer questions, provide quotes for shipping, ship them, sometimes driving to the shipping outlet that is not nearest you to save a couple $$$ for the buyer, message with follow up details, and sometimes take the heat when the item is not what the purchaser expected.

I personally do not charge for any of this time and effort involved and instead only charge the actual shipping from the company that the buyer chooses. I only get my money for the actual sale of the item, and almost always it is more than a fair price for the item being sold. I usually ask for a postal money order for the reasons mentioned in my previous post, but will also offer Paypal for the buyers convienience. I do not ask that they check the payment as a gift, but only offer Paypal as a convienience to them.

With that said, if the buyer can't take the time to go to the post office to get me a money order, thats fine with me. But know that as a seller I am taking a lot of time and care to get you the item you need, and am only making the sale price!!! Am I doing it for the $$$??? Am I making a killing on selling parts??? Try selling items using this method and then decide for yourself!!! Enough blabbing, I think my cookie is ready!!! Geof

I don't like purchasing US M/O they charge too much I'd rather go to my C/U and get a certified check for free, and furthermore if I sell something and someone pays me with paypal I wouldn't want to pay the fees I'm not a business I'm a guy just trying to restore a car.

I have had many purchases, and sold items on here and always used paypal or money order and never had a problem so far. Great bunch of guys on here. I would not except any bank certified checks because of all the scams mostly with craigslist but you just never know.

too many fake bank checks,money orders.. etc. out there for me. i prefer pay pay. i have a confirmation reciept and all that way.. if not pay pal then a wire transfer...

Ok so thats all good info. I contacted the seller in question. He is a FABO member, I went to his public page, checked his stats and nothing good or bad reported. He has alot of FS posts so I'm thinking he's OK. so I will go the POMO route.
Thank you everyone.

Well if he aint ok, just post it up. We can drag his through the mud on a thread and if somebody lives close, they can go break some bones for you.

Here's how "I" view the whole "Paypal/Ebay" thing. First off, since Ebay owns Paypal, THEY are the ones being dishonest right off the bat by charging people TWO times. Once on Ebay and once on Paypal and BOTH times with ridiculous fees. All they are doing is sitting back on their ASSES pushing buttons and getting rich. I have NO problem whatsoever ASKING someone to send as a gift, or someone asking me. If somebody views that as dishonest, then they need to buy their parts from someone other than me, because all I am doing is trying to look out for me. No one else is doing that, ESPECIALLY the buyer only friendly Ebay or Paypal.

I think someone's visibility speaks volumes about them. For instance...I post here a LOT. I am on Facebook. I am on other forums as well. I am not difficult to locate. I am in the phone book. Hell, I even get Christmas cards. Most people who INTEND to rip you off will only be accessable one or two ways. That should throw up a red flag right there. Yall need to remember something. Trust is a two way street. Paypal payments can be reversed. There was a rash of that not too long ago. The seller is putting his *** out there just as much as the buyer. Ebay and Paypal seem to have forgotten that in their ever quest to get more and more buyers. You'd think at some point some of their people would figure out when they run off all the sellers with their stupid fees, there won't be anything left for the buyers to purchase.

I like Paypal.....because like HemiEd says, it's convenient. It's true. We're a lazy society. We like wakin up and seein money in the bank without havin to do any work other than shippin a box and if we could get outta that, we would. The bottom line is with all this I guess is, if somebody wants to rip you off, you're gonna get ripped off. Just have comfort in knowing that what goes around comes around.

-
Back