By pass hose

-

z_daddy

z_daddy
Reaction score
My question is do you really need to have a by pass hose from the water pump to the intake ?

Although I've personally never done it, plenty of people have eliminated it with no ill effects.

IMO, it can be more of a hassle. The hose and clamps are inexpensive to purchase to operate the system as designed. Most guys use a rubber cap and clamp.

There was a LOOOOONG thread about this a couple of years ago. My take on it is, the Chrysler engineers knew more about it than I do and if they think it's needed I have no problem running one. If it was problematic, they had thirty years to correct it and they didn't. I do recommend running the good silicone bypass hose that came on police cars and taxis instead of the cheap one you buy at the auto parts store. I split one of those on the very first day, must have been sitting on the shelf for a long time.

The way I look at it is without a coolant bypass of some sort (bypass hose, no thermostat, heater core) you have the water pump trying to pump coolant into a dead end. Think of what's happening any time you try to pump something into a capped hose, big pressure build up. Racers eliminate it but they also eliminate the thermostat or use a restrictor in place of the thermostat. Either way coolant can circulate. I wouldn't hesitate to restrict it some but I don't think I'd completely block it off unless I took the thermostat out (or used a restrictor). Just my .02

That little hose does more than just bypass the thermostat. The ends are 2 different sizes to create a mechanical differential. This is required for a impellertype pump to pull from one direction and push in the other.
I don't know squat about the electric water pumps. If they are some other design inside such as a vein pump, like a power steering pump, they wouldn't need the flow restriction / mechanical differential.

-
Back