C body pitman arm swap

-

retsud_043

Reaction score
I've read in Mopar action that using the longer C body pitman will give you the feeling of a quicker ratio power steering box. Is there more to this swap (like the idler or center link) to work on an A body?
Thanks,
Chris

The theory is correct,but you need a idler arm of the same length also and a new alignment to bring it back into spec,mrmopartech
Thanks Mrmopartech
I see Napa has one NCP 2683467 for around $75

I realise Firm Feel makes one but I have a 1971 Chrysler Newport Custom
up on my hoist, so I thought I'd use it .....and I'm a cheap b*stard to boot:toothy10:

I wonder how much fun the headers will have with it?????

No off the shelf headers will fit that combo except maybe spitfires.

People have fit Stock 68-70 340 manifolds with very carefully made headpipes.

Thanks Mrmopartech
I see Napa has one NCP 2683467 for around $75

I realise Firm Feel makes one but I have a 1971 Chrysler Newport Custom
up on my hoist, so I thought I'd use it .....and I'm a cheap b*stard to boot:toothy10:

The indexing of the 4 master splines is different on a C-body. You'd have to grind off the internal wider master splines in the C-body pitmans

IIRC, the 71 C-body pitman uses the large spline output shaft that 73 up smaller cars use.

I've read in Mopar action that using the longer C body pitman will give you the feeling of a quicker ratio power steering box. Is there more to this swap (like the idler or center link) to work on an A body?
Thanks,
Chris

It won't give you the feeling of quicker ratio, it IS A QUICKER RATIO. The stock power steering ratio is about 16:1. With a longer pitman it is 12.7:1.

-
Back