Cal Tracs vs. Comp. Engineering

-

440dartsport

Reaction score
I am building a 74 Dart Sport 440 4 speed car. The car will be mostly street driven but also see the track throughout the summer. I have been looking at the Cal Tracs traction bars and Comp Engineering bars. Does one work better than the other or are they about the same?

well there is plans on the internet to build them so i cant imagine the comp ones would be any different other than maybe materials used and pretty colors...

Unless you like to hear a lot of clunking noise while driving, I would suggest against the cal-tracs. I have them with the mono's on my 67 and they make a lot of noise. Also, I haven't tried it, but from what I understand you don't want to drive them on the street in "race" trim with the bars pre-loaded. It makes for a rough ride.

SS springs and a pinion snubber would probably be a better street set up for a car that will see a lot of miles.

You can eliminate any "fitment issues" (which is what causes the reports of noise and rough ride) by getting the geometry right if you make your own. Given a close to parallel to the leaf, you will not even know the Caltracs are there - except for hard, straight launches.

This is one reason Calvert wants you to use his monoleafs, and installing them with other type springs can lead to some problems. If you are building your own, just build them to fit right the first time.

You can eliminate any "fitment issues" (which is what causes the reports of noise and rough ride) by getting the geometry right if you make your own. Given a close to parallel to the leaf, you will not even know the Caltracs are there.

This is one reason Calvert wants you to use his monoleafs, and installing them with other type springs can lead to some problems. If you are building your own, just build them to fit right the first time.

So then are you saying if I built my own with the right geometry, I could get them to work with my SS springs? I know everybody says the Cal Tracs don't work well with them, but maybe something home made with the right geometry might....

So then are you saying if I built my own with the right geometry, I could get them to work with my SS springs?
No I'm not saying that, because I know there's alot of people out there who are philosophically opposed to that idea.

The idea behind the caltrac is to prevent the axle from wrapping or moving towards the floor of the car. The explanation in the link is 100% correct and much better than anything I could say here.Unfortunatly this does mean the front of the leaf cannot flex as much as it would without the caltrac.

I like the idea of getting the geometry correct. It would help a lot and as mentioned you wont notice thier there if done right. I have heard that the ride is very nice with a monoleaf.

I like the idea of the caltracs,allows for use of stock leafs yet gets you a very good launch which is acceptable for a street/strip ride and a very economical option compared to a 4 link or even the SS spring.

If you cannot afford to do a 4 link I really like this option. I like it better than the SS spring,not because it's cheaper but because the SS spring quality these days is very questionable.

Have your original springs recurved or rebuilt and throw the caltracs on it if your budget is tight. Most truck spring shops will be more than happy to rebuild your stock springs for you.

I had the C.E. Slid-a-links and they work!! They were on my 500" 1987 Prostreet Ram. Stopped all windup and wheelhop instantly. Also picked up 2 tenths on my 60ft time. They are more reliable on the street than the Cal-tracs IMHO!! They are Very adjustable and more forgiving due to the poly bushing.. Leave a 1/4" slack in the bushing for street use and 1/8" for track use.

Attachments

• slidalink2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 305
  • slidalink.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 295
What shocks work well with the c.e. traction bars? I would like to use air shocks but I don't know how well those will work with the bars. Any thoughts?

What shocks work well with the c.e. traction bars? I would like to use air shocks but I don't know how well those will work with the bars. Any thoughts?
I have CE 3 way adjustables with slide-a-link on my 73 D.Sport 340 4 speed.I advise not to use air shocks with these.

-
Back