California Flash

-
next up.....fake Fentons

20211210_171758.jpg

20211210_171758.jpg

passenger side glass, door panel and trim done, drivers side tomorrow. just a few small details to wrap up. Man does it feel good to work on this hot rod again. I love my job!

20211213_152729 (2).jpg

20211213_152657.jpg

No, it is out to stud. To restore it back to original (as built in 1975) , I removed the "updates" added thru the years. It is available and does makes special appearance's at NHRA events and car gatherings.....often with Butch.

214920655_10219483831541763_4426262446304649298_n.jpg

If any of y'all ever see the restored California Flash race car at an event, be absolutely sure to take the time to stop and really look at it. It ain't just another old worn out race car with a fresh paint job.....that thing is as nice or nicer than any car on the show field. The restoration is stunning, and Denny left no nit unpicked! LOL. :D

Denny....are you putting the drip rail trim back on the street Flash? I'm diggin the ghost graphics!

:thumbsup:

Wow, thanks for the compliments!!

No stainless on the drip rails.....I'm a fan of the no - frills painted drip rail.

An amazing car with a fabulous restoration...

Glad to say I got to see it run at the 1975 Summernationals.

"Duster Do" ! ... on the back, man did that ever get etched in my brain.

What I don't remember was D5 heads being allowed in Modified Production.

An amazing car with a fabulous restoration...

Glad to say I got to see it run at the 1975 Summernationals.

"Duster Do" ! ... on the back, man did that ever get etched in my brain.

What I don't remember was D5 heads being allowed in Modified Production.

This one has / had Mullins twin plug aluminum heads. Not the D5 heads. For some reason, Butch was not a fan of those. You just had to run a naturally aspirated/ carburated Chrsler engine in a Chrysler. Class of course was lbs per cubic inch. Butch ran a destroked (3.5" crankshaft / std bore) 396 cubic inch Hemi in B/MP (8lbs per cubic inch) car weighs @3190

Last edited:
Denny does anyone still campaign the flash car under the cover in the back ground?

I have been considering for some time now building (along with Butch) a period correct 396 (short block) for exhibition burn out and starting line launches. I have a new set of 14 x 32 Goodyears and can mimic the Firestone logo like on the fronts. The "Stones" on the back are over 40 years old.

The Hemi in the Flash now is Butch's (1982 Pro Stock) Hemi from his 82 Horizon. With 500 cu inches, 16.2 compression and aluminum rods, it is too much "kill" for what I want to do. I have two correct cranks, the correct Crane R296 roller can....need a block , rods, misc internals and I'm rockin! Callies is 10 miles from my shop.

Last edited:
template to verify location of ghost graphics and sponsor / name cut-outs

20211026_102905.jpg

20211026_103057.jpg

Ive been lucky enough to see both of these cars at Denny's shop and they are better in person.
Maybe I can schedule a test drive?

wouldn't be a Butch Leal Duster without ..................Duster Do !

20211216_164746.jpg

Last edited:
Well beyond the question, think how much better it would look in Sublime? Hah! Obviously I am partial to the body style and being a long time track rat I really like it. And I am not usually a fan of anything red, other than my neck of course. Seriously guy, just honking well done, beautiful. So far…….. lord knows you will never be done with it! Nice work, congrats to you and your merry mob.

-
Back