California Flash

-
added a small mod to the drivers side engine mount perch for the new A/C compressor, it cleared without it, but just looks prettier. K is now ready for powder coat.

20200814_165224.jpg

20200814_165220.jpg

this morning I took the shell off the rotisserie and put it back on the dollies .the painter likes it closer to the ground and I like to keep the painter happy. Maybe theses pictures will highlight the difference in the old orange and the new California Flash poppy red.

20200817_104935.jpg

20200817_104941.jpg

20200817_104943.jpg

Got some special (to me) wall art today. Not a barn find, maybe an attic find. My brother drug this out of the attic this afternoon ....it was removed (by me, 16 at the time) from my 69 GTX (first car) in late 1971.

20200818_101715.jpg

20200818_101632.jpg

Last edited:
Likely he will not read this....but thank you Mark Boutwell (Boutwell Customs). He treats me like family, lets me squeeze my projects in, do the time consuming grunt work to save $$$, gives me pointers and even trains me if needed, and refuses to allow shoddy work. All that and brings his wife's strawberry pie(s) to the Nats for us every year.
We have been friends since 71, ....is it any wonder??

built the brackets specifically for this build.....but if anyone wants some....PM me

20200828_163345.jpg

20200828_163350.jpg

A great looking job HD. Nice and straight and the next step won't take much at all. Beauty, as nice as it gets!

Thanks (retro) Ron, watching your build motivated movement of the next Flash project to the front bay for the next step......modifying the rockers to fit a perimeter mid-frame and AMD replacement floor pan. The modified rockers and perimeter frame rails will accommodate a couple of major mods...1) raising the entire floor pan 1-3/4" and 2) moving the complete factory firewall, floor pan and frame assembly rearward approx 4".

The new midsection assembly will be attached to aftermarket rear frame rails, inner (frame side) half of the rear wheel tubs (16ga trailer fenders for the halves) and HDK custom front frame rails. The front frame rails will be mounted to the narrower early A-body specs (inward approx 5/8" per side) to tuck the fronts wheels / tires inward as far as possible. The narrow rails will sport (Auto Metal Direct) reproduction B/E body UCA and shock mounts that allow fabrication of tall, relatively smooth / straight 16ga metal inner fender panels. This entire assembly is independent of the shell and once fully tigg welded with additional support bars, will be powder-coated, then welded in place along the modified rockers and rear.

Naturally, the Duster will have a slammer / early A body HDK to raise and move the the drive-line rearward in the new chassis. Looking for the low to the ground and tall tires.....the 73 California Flash Pro-Stock look, street car with power steering and A/C....it's hot where this street Mopar hot rod car will end up.

IMG_0838.jpg

(Hemi)Denny,
Just for grins; when I was a young man one of my friends married a fellow named Joe Lewis ( I think it was Lewis). was a member of Butch’s crew while he was in Oakland. I think he stayed with Butch for a long while. I bought Joe’s ‘57 Olds and raced the crap out of it in Colorado while in the USAF. Sold the Olds to buy an engagement ring. One of the dummer things I’ve done.

Ill ask Butch about him....just hung up from talking with him for the weekend update.

-
Back