California Flash

-
yes, I run a run-flat in the OEM spare well. Look very close at the lower right bottom side of the supplies box (left) and you can barely see the slit in the trunk mat which is on both sides. The slit on the left side of the battery box is also somewhat visible to me, but I know where they are. The mat rolls forward towards the interior to expose and remove the cardboard cover over the spare. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

The jack is there because it belongs in a 72 Duster and I like the slightly modified but "off the lot" look, I put a small battle jack in the supplies box. Most have no friggin clue the extent that the silver Hemi Duster was modified.....and I like that.

Denny -
I see you have a jack alongside the right-side battery box. Are you also carrying a spare tire?
If you are, then how involved is it to have to remove both battery boxes to get to the spare tire? Or do you have a sneaky trick for that?
I like the look of two battery boxes, but wondering about running them degrees to how you have them in order to have more room between them. Battery in one and storage in the other is a good idea.

always think ahead.

20210512_114719.jpg

I'll get the rear a little lower.
wheels....15 x 8 with 4" backspacing
tires....... 275 / 60 /15

20210524_115158 (1).jpg

20210524_120206.jpg

20210524_115205.jpg

Since US Mags did not make the backspacing I needed to make them fit the way I like, I sold the OEM width differential and replaced it with one 2" narrower, milled 1" off the Moser axle spline ( there was more than enough) and bought 1/2" deeper dish rims.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys......for wheels, Butch wanted something close to the Fentons that were originally on the Pro Stock race car in 1971. For the 72 season, the race car was updated with a 72 tail panel, Sharktooth grille, SuperTricks and a very similar but updated paint scheme.

These work.

Wow , first time I`ve read of someone w/ the exact wheel backspace I use , tho mine are 8 1/2'' wide .

yours tubbed?.....no mini-tubbing here, just Dr. Diff offsets and an 1/8" spacer between the front spring mount and frame.

yours tubbed?.....no mini-tubbing here, just Dr. Diff offsets and an 1/8" spacer between the front spring mount and frame.

lol , same here , not dr. diffs offset stuff tho--differant wheels now --no currant pics, and springs have settled to tire being even w/ the top of the well
295 60 d15
thumbnail.jpg

front of fenderwells contoured to match inner fender panel

I'm thinking of moving the leafs in is it worth it without doing mini tubs.

it is the cheapest / easiest way to add 1/2" more tire to the inside. I hate to cut up a rare A-body, but a dime-a- don slant 6 / 318 car, no problem. Either way, never been a fan of the mini tubb....once the cutting starts, prefer a full tubb / backhalf.

ON MINE OFFSET SPRING HANGARS PUT THE SPRINGS DIRECTLY UNDER THE INNER WHEEL HOUSE EDGE , IF UR GOING TO PUT THE SPRINGS IN THE FRAME RAILS , U WOULD STILL HAVE THE SAME INNER CLEARANCE !

Had an extra set of hands today so instead of slipping the K / engine / trans into place..... the door windows finally got installed, which means I can finally see what the silver looks like with the black buckets and door panels. Although the Duster is a factory A/C car and will have working A/C, Butch did not want a full black interior due to the 110 plus degree summers in Tulare.

Hope he likes it.

20210608_162600.jpg

Last edited:
I like you guys thinking.....I believe I will paint the corresponding portion on the kick panel black.

up and in....1/2 hour including a phone call to sell a set of HDK upper control arms

20210609_104239 (1).jpg

20210609_104547.jpg

20210609_104556.jpg

Butch was kinda concerned about the headers hanging low......I don't think it will be an issue.

20210609_125107.jpg

tomorrow the valance air ducts come back from powder coating and so we can see if things work and play together.

-
Back