Cam for 69 gts. Recommendations so far.

-

Gtsjosh

Reaction score
Looking at ordering a cam soon for my 69 dart gts with 340/ 4 speed. Engine is stock except for the usual bolt ons. Headers , dual exhaust , electronic ignition from fbo, avs2 650 carb, 391 gears. Tire are 245/60/15 next set I buy will be 255/60/15. Plan on doing the Edelbrock rpm dual plane intake same time as the cam.
Car is only driven on the street. No plans to rev it to the moon. Just a fun street car wanting a fast light to light and 0-80 majority of the time. Trying to avoid pulling the x heads and doing machine work for now. Plan on running it like this for a while. I will upgrade springs.
I’m out of the country for work so getting Recommendations has been a little tough. But so far
Howard’s recommended the street force 2
Hydraulic Flat Tappet Street Force 2 Camshaft & Lifter Kit; 1964 - 2003 Chrysler 273, 340, 360 1500 to 5000 Howards Cams CL710031-12 | Howards Cams

Hughes recommended
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...RmxhdCBUYXBwZXQsIEh5ZHJhdWxpYw==&partid=30240

A lot of people are partial to the xe268 from comp cams but I have not called comp yet. Just seems like a popular choice.

last I’m very interested in this one but I haven’t got to talk to Lunati yet either. This seem to have good feedback though.
Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 262/268

this is my first cam swap so I’m a bit ignorant on picking a cam to benefit my compression ratio and how isl lsa affects the engine. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
I will throw my hat in the ring for the Howards cam. My thought is you shouldn't have a problem with the valve guides with its advertised lift. Also, I just installed a Howards 710931-12 in a 68 340. Everything went smoothly and it worked out great for my application.

I'm likin the Howards cam out of the three. Just remember, whichever one you choose, you will need the correct valve springs and you'll need them set up properly.

Howards is the older 214/224 with extra lift.

Hughes is bigger duration and lift

For Lunati I'd go to the 03 voodoo. Springs might be an issue because Lunati recommends a double spring IIRC. If you can find a decent single spring with correct rates, this is my suggestion.

JMO, I would not use the howards, barely a jump from stock. The hughes would be the smallest I would use.

The car has a 4 speed and gears, you can get away with a slightly larger cam. Get the idle tune up right and the lunati 03 with an intake/headers will be a stout little runner.

Howards is the older 214/224 with extra lift.

Hughes is bigger duration and lift

For Lunati I'd go to the 03 voodoo. Springs might be an issue because Lunati recommends a double spring IIRC. If you can find a decent single spring with correct rates, this is my suggestion.

JMO, I would not use the howards, barely a jump from stock. The hughes would be the smallest I would use.

The car has a 4 speed and gears, you can get away with a slightly larger cam. Get the idle tune up right and the lunati 03 with an intake/headers will be a stout little runner.
There you go pissin on the "baby" cams I like so well. ya killjoy. lol

Good luck getting any cam these days. Mine's been on order for almost a year. Same for my Molnar crank.

Good luck getting any cam these days. Mine's been on order for almost a year. Same for my Molnar crank.
Yeah that’s what I was worried about. I’m out of the country until late June. Figured maybe if I order soon I could possibly have one to install this winter. Lol. Summits website actually says they have the comp cam ready to ship but not sure how accurate that is. Usually summit is pretty accurate with their quotes though. But I’m not in a hurry.

With 3.91s and 27" tires , 80 mph is 3900 in 4th/5450 in 3rd.
So for your application, with a TRUE 9.5Scr or so engine, a power peak of 5000 to 5200 is lots. Because of the constantly rising cost of fuel and the 3.91s, I personally would err towards the lower end. That points to the stock cam(268/276/114), if it is still in good shape. I think those were [email protected]/ NOT sure.
But before you do anything, you gotta do a compression test to see how high the CCP currently is. If yur already over 165psi, you are on or close to the detonation limit for pump gas. This will limit your Ica to be no less than what it currently is. This may put a damper on your selection process.

That points to the stock cam(268/276/114), if it is still in good shape. I think those were [email protected]/ NOT sure.
Something like this?
Cam Card.jpg

Something like this?
Compression test first.
Plus you cannot compare the advertised numbers of that cam which were snap-shotted at ".005 lift" whatever that is; versus the more-commonly used, ".008 tappet rise".
But you can directly compare the .050numbers, which are standardized.
Typically, the disparity will be around 44/46 degrees. The cam you highlighted is 268 less 210= 58degrees, about the highest disparity numbers I've ever seen. Granted; some of that is hidden in the .005 versus .008 difference. So unless you are familiar with that cam, you cannot directly compare it to some other cam that is measured differently. Greater disparity numbers, means a later closing intake valve, and therefore lesser CCP, and as the pressure falls, away goes low-rpm performance, and with that, usually, away goes cruising economy.

The disparity between the .050 numbers, and the advertised numbers, tell us a little about the bottom end, especially below about 2200rpm. This is only important to the guy with a 4-speed, and hiway gears, who runs around town. This is because so much of the time is spent at low-rpm. Larger disparity numbers just make it worse. With 3.23s, cruising 30mph in Second gear is 2300, so you can see how low CCP could be frustrating. 3.91s pop that up to 30 =2780 so now it's a bit less of an issue.

With iron heads, limiting pressure to ~165psi, and a manual trans;
A 210/220/110 cam in a hi-compression SBM is a very torquey engine. Up to 220* with appropriate CCP they continue to be torquey. By 230* the bottom end is getting noticeably weaker. This is pushing the limit with 3.55s. By 250*, she is getting to be seriously lazy below 3000 rpm, and forget running that around town with 3.55s. Even 3.91s are a stretch.
In an already built and fixed compression engine, it is the continuously growing ICA and the continuously falling CCP, that is responsible for this phenomenon.

I’m thinking about the Comp cams xe268 for my 340 stroker. Currently, it has a fairly large cam, automatic with stock converter, 10:1 comp, and 3:23 sure grip. I can’t get the 850 dp leaned out at idle, probably going with a 750 as well(?)

I might take this a little different direction..
I would do like I've always done and call Ken at Oregon camp grinding... Calling the shop that actually grinds the cams Hughes does not they resell...
I would pull my cam like I've done before and send it to him and have him regrind it and send it back... Somewhere around $100 that used to be 79 plus shipping but I live locally so I just go pick it up...
Also I had my hydraulic cams ground into solid lifter cams got solid lifters push rods made and some 273 adjustable rockers... And as I say that let me just stomp up the big huge myth that adjustable rockers need to be adjusted all the time and that they're loud... Total bull crap.. better performance and more reliable than squishy lifters... My-2 and what I do...

I’m thinking about the Comp cams xe268 for my 340 stroker. Currently, it has a fairly large cam, automatic with stock converter, 10:1 comp, and 3:23 sure grip. I can’t get the 850 dp leaned out at idle, probably going with a 750 as well(?)

stroked to what...and what is your tire size?

For another thread... but ignition timing plays a HUGE role in idle settings and performance. DP carbs are notoriously rich depending on model.

Stock converter doesn't help, stroker tq should offset that a little..

XE268 is dinky in a 400 inch stroker.

Looking at ordering a cam soon for my 69 dart gts with 340/ 4 speed. Engine is stock except for the usual bolt ons. Headers , dual exhaust , electronic ignition from fbo, avs2 650 carb, 391 gears. Tire are 245/60/15 next set I buy will be 255/60/15. Plan on doing the Edelbrock rpm dual plane intake same time as the cam.
Car is only driven on the street. No plans to rev it to the moon. Just a fun street car wanting a fast light to light and 0-80 majority of the time. Trying to avoid pulling the x heads and doing machine work for now. Plan on running it like this for a while. I will upgrade springs.
I’m out of the country for work so getting Recommendations has been a little tough. But so far
Howard’s recommended the street force 2
Hydraulic Flat Tappet Street Force 2 Camshaft & Lifter Kit; 1964 - 2003 Chrysler 273, 340, 360 1500 to 5000 Howards Cams CL710031-12 | Howards Cams

Hughes recommended
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...RmxhdCBUYXBwZXQsIEh5ZHJhdWxpYw==&partid=30240

A lot of people are partial to the xe268 from comp cams but I have not called comp yet. Just seems like a popular choice.

last I’m very interested in this one but I haven’t got to talk to Lunati yet either. This seem to have good feedback though.
Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam - Chrysler 273-360 262/268

this is my first cam swap so I’m a bit ignorant on picking a cam to benefit my compression ratio and how isl lsa affects the engine. Thanks for any advice.

I have the Lunati 10200701 on my 318 and sincerely wish I could have gone with the 703, which is only one step up from the one in your link.

@72bluNblu ran the 704 on the street for years, I don't know if he still does since his trans swap.

Make sure you use the recommended springs, you may consider getting the kit which comes with cam, lifters, springs and timing chain. Save some on shipping. Keep an eye open for sales and hunt around for that discount code thread.

Was the 69 340 a SFT engine, if so why hydraulic?

For another thread... but ignition timing plays a HUGE role in idle settings and performance. DP carbs are notoriously rich depending on model.

Stock converter doesn't help, stroker tq should offset that a little..

XE268 is dinky in a 400 inch stroker.
I’m working on the timing, it’s my next step!

340, 4 speed, 3.91’s, intake/carb/headers.
The XE268 would be fine in that combo.

I have the Lunati 10200701 on my 318 and sincerely wish I could have gone with the 703, which is only one step up from the one in your link.

@72bluNblu ran the 704 on the street for years, I don't know if he still does since his trans swap.

Make sure you use the recommended springs, you may consider getting the kit which comes with cam, lifters, springs and timing chain. Save some on shipping. Keep an eye open for sales and hunt around for that discount code thread.

Was the 69 340 a SFT engine, if so why hydraulic?

I still run the 704, it was actually a big part of the reason I swapped in the T56. It did not like starting out with only a 3.55 rear gear. Lunati recommends minimum 3.91's with the 704 and I understand why now. But 3.55 was about the best I could do and still do 75mph on the freeway though with a 1:1 4th gear. So I went to the T56 and 4.30's.

The 704 is a lot for a frequently driven street car. Granted, I was running my Duster as a daily driver, getting stuck in traffic, etc. It's a super fun cam, but you kinda have to drive it like you stole it for it to work right. Over 3k rpm it's a rocket ship, much below 2k it's easy to lug it. The 703 would be a lot easier to deal with. With a stroker especially I think I'd run the 703 over the 702, since the extra cubes will help a lot down low and would probably make the 702 seem really tame.

This is my 340 at idle. It's a stock stroke 340, .060" over, the Lunati 704 cam (276/284, .513"/ .533"). Compression is ~9.8:1. Doug's headers, Summit 2.5" dual exhaust with Dynomax welded Ultra-flo's. Heads are ported 308's flowing 264 cfm @.500".

Last edited:
Years ago I had a 72 340 Duster, when I rebuilt the 340 I used a 274/484 MP hydraulic. With stock manifolds, a 650DP and 3.55 gears. It was a very fun car to drive and was pretty quick. The cam was almost too big for a stock converter.

Years ago I had a 72 340 Duster, when I rebuilt the 340 I used a 274/484 MP hydraulic. With stock manifolds, a 650DP and 3.55 gears. It was a very fun car to drive and was pretty quick. The cam was almost too big for a stock converter.
Was that basically a hemi grind purple shaft cam?

With a 4 speed and 3.91s. I would look into the lunati bracket master and lifters for sale on this site. Not too modern but easy on the valve train and springs. Could use comps 901 springs. The old bread and butter 230 at .050 and .480 lift. Nice lopey idle too.

-
Back