Cam question

-

kingvern

Reaction score
Ok so has anyone ever degreed a cam and it came up dot to dot. The machine shop I used to assemble my engine says he degreed it and it came up right at dot to dot. I have never had this happen so i'm wondering if any of you have. here is the cam specs. Lunati part #
•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/282
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 255/255
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .582/.582
•LSA/ICL: 108/102
•Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .016/.016
•RPM Range: 3500-7200

I have never had it happen either. I am sure it's possible. It's also possible he's blowin smoke up your skirt.

Yes, I've had it happen, once. If you don't trust him, what are you doing there?

I have had several cams that i installed dot to dot and went checked with the degree wheel and such they were where they were suppose to be..

buy the gear necessary to do it yourself...and never pay anyone for something you could do

buy the gear necessary to do it yourself...and never pay anyone for something you could do

I cannot agree more. That way, you will know it is done, instead of someone telling you it is done.

The stuff I listed from Summit...is like what i have...bought it back in the 80s....degreed many cams for me and friends.....

Now...look at what is there and think how you can do it maybe cheaper....

The dot to dot is where it should be. The reason there not can vary from cam manufacturing to the crank being off to .......
I have had it happen.

Doing it yourself is easy. It just takes time. The learning curve is short, double checking takes time.

Harbor freight for a stand/dial indicator 14 + 12 use a 20% off coupon on two buys.
Degree wheel
Big crescent wrench to turn engine over using keyway.

$40ish max...

Harbor freight for a stand/dial indicator 14 + 12 use a 20% off coupon on two buys.
Degree wheel
Big crescent wrench to turn engine over using keyway.

$40ish max...

my comp roller came out that way. this dot alignment confuses the hell outa me, had the same thing go both ways on a 406 sbc. got a 18 national record holder coming over to check it this afternoon, will be no doubts . if you degreed it in on # 1 , shouldn`t make any diff. even if it didn`t have any dots -me thinks ?

Ok so has anyone ever degreed a cam and it came up dot to dot. The machine shop I used to assemble my engine says he degreed it and it came up right at dot to dot. I have never had this happen so i'm wondering if any of you have. here is the cam specs. Lunati part #

THEORETICALLY, if you line up the dots it SHOULD degree exactly where it should. BUT, tolerance stack up and such, it doesn't always work that way.

That's what cam grinders mean when they say they have 4* advance ground into the cam, it means they put the key 4* advanced so you shouldn't need offset keys, bushings ot timing chains with 72 different keyways to get the cam in.

So no, it's not unusual. Lucky maybe, but not unusual.

Yea, what he said. Should, but not allways. Sometimes there off by A LOT!

I've degreed in about 20 or so cams and had it come out right on the money twice. Several times it was just a degree off. One time it was 22 degrees off, yowsers!!!

I've degreed in about 20 or so cams and had it come out right on the money twice. Several times it was just a degree off. One time it was 22 degrees off, yowsers!!!

my buddy came over yesterday to double check my work, was within a 1/4 of a degree, "close enough for me!" got to put a little more pushrod clearance on one head, and back together she goes!

I always do the whole process (including setup) twice to repeat the numbers. I've found my own mistakes that way before. About 20% are off by one degree or less at "dot-to-dot". Most are under 4° off, MP has the record for furthest off consistently...

-
Back