Cam Question

-

superjarheadt

Reaction score
Hey all just wondering on what you guys would recomend as a really good strong running cam for my 360. I just want it to make good power throughout the whole rpm range. Mostly street driven but I dont want to be embarrassed if I take it to the track.
Specs:
73 Duster, 71 360 with magnum heads, eldebrock perfromer rpm airgap dual plane, hedman headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, 727 with a shiftkit and stock converter, gear ratio in the 3's, approximately 26" tall tires

Thanks

id look around at some known, goo name cams, and think aboout what rpm range you really think youll drive/thrive in.
4452761 260/272 dur 450/455 lift 1500/5800 rpm 179.95 4452992 280/280 dur 474.474 lift 2000/6000 rpm 179.95
i like the look of those numbers myself.

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/a.html

Probably something like the comp xe274h would work well. You can download camquest6 for free and play with it, Ive heard it picks em pretty good!

Remember your magnum heads multiply cam specs with those 1.6 rockers!!

Good catch Mguner!

I would look at a cam that has a power range of 2000 - 6000 rpm at max with a stock converter.

A good example would be a 280 duration cam with approx. .480 lift. Since you have magnum heads, the math would look like this for the new lift.

.480 / 1.5 = .320

.320 X 1.6 = .512

Being .512 is the new lift with the 1.6 rockers, the springs you must order with the cam must be able to handle that amount of lift. Check head for valve spring bind and clearance.

This would be a good time to port match & bowl port the head. Nothing fancy. Stock valves will be fine. Backcutting them wouldn't hurt a bit.

I agree with Moper.... I put a XE268 in my dad's 68 barracuda. It is pretty much a stock rebuild on a 340 (10:1 CR) with headers, aluminum intake, 4-bbl, auto with MP 166K converter, and 3.55's. It is a nice street car cam that pulls HARD to 6K.

I have the Mopar version of the .474 lift cam in my 360. It has a good lumpy idle and is there through out the RPM range. It won't let off until you do LOL! My motor is .030 over with 10:7 compression, performer intake, 302 swirl port heads with back cut valves (keeps the velocity up), 750 Holley HP series mechanical secondaries (4-speed), TTI headers, tru double roller timing chain, and 1.5 roller rockers. I don't know how much horses the motor has but it does pretty good. You'll like that cam.

As mentioned above you will have like a .505 lift with the magnum rockers so that's not bad at all.

That ought to work real well. Split duration in a good RPM band with moderate lift that the Magnum should be able to handle. I think your good.

Are the heads ported?

What year stock compresion engine is this. OR what is the actual ratio?

IMO, It would be a little soft on the bottom end unless you up a low 8-1 ratio engine to a 9-1 or 9.5-1 ratio.

Upping the ratio is more so a bennifit for street driven cars because it regains the lost torque with trhe bigger cam.

The bennifit up top in the rpm range is huge when you compare.

Milling the J's would be a big help.

I'm not sure of the ratio, but I am sure that the motor is a 1974 and it came out of a Monaco. I don't plan on this motor to be in my dart forever so I'm gonna stick with the crank and pistons it's got now and go with the biggest practical cam that I can ;)

I had a mid 80's 360, 8.0? comp, stock converter 727, 3.23 sure grip. 70 340 hp exh manifolds with a 2.5" TTI's and flowmasters.
Edelbrock intake and 625 carter carb, small valve heads with very light eyeball pocket porting to clean up some flashing and a gasket match.
Low comp so I had no problem with running 87 octane gas.
The cam was this one (MP 4452761 260/272 dur 450/455 lift 1500/5800 rpm).
Car ran 14.64 - 95mph on a very hot evening in Phoenix az

Rumblefish is right about the soft power on the low end.
It pulled pretty good from about 2800-6000.
It really needed a different cam for some bottom end or about a 3000stall converter to be really fun.

Try a 226 @ .050 cam or on or about that duration. 230 @ .050 is streching it. Doable, but streching it.
(I'd do it cause I'm a knuckle head willing to just see how it does and then toss it 2 weeks later.)

(I'd do it cause I'm a knuckle head willing to just see how it does and then toss it 2 weeks later.)
Haha that sounds like something I would do. Then the old man sitting in his lawnchair with a beer in his hand, unaware of exactly what I was doing would say "what were you thinkin' dumbass??"

His use of Magnum heads limits total lift unless there worked on for clearance. That would be the cam I would use for all around best performance with regular heads.

If he sets up the Magnums to take the lift, OH ys, go for it!
Like I said above about duration @.050

.494 and .513 lift? Isn't that a bit high for stock pistons?

edit: oops sorry you were talking to him not me :read2:

-
Back