Cam recommendation needed

-

69GT

Reaction score
I need to buy a cam and lifters and would appreciate your suggestions on a hydraulic flat tappet cam for my application. I haven't chosen a specific torque converter yet as I was going to base that on whatever cam I end up with but I would prefer one with a stall speed of 3000 or less as the car will only be driven on the street. Here is what I have:

69 Dart, 400 block with 440 Source 470 stroker kit. 10.8 compression, Eddy Performer RPM heads, Comp Cams Magnum roller rockers, Eddy Performer RPM intake, Holley 775 or 875 cfm carb. (I have both available), TTI 1 3/4" headers, 727 trans., 3.73 gears and 29" tires.

Very nice looking car!
If you absolutely must have a hydraulic flat tappet, this cam works pretty well in a street stroker.
CHRYSLER COMP Cams 23-227-4 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts | Summit Racing
Comp shows a different part number than summit, a reminder to always check before ordering!
Xtreme Energy HI-LIFT 231/237 Hydraulic Flat Cam for Chrysler 383-440
But, good luck with hydraulic flat tappet lifters. If it were me, I would be looking at a solid lifter cam. This cam would play very well with what you already have together here.
CHRYSLER COMP Cams 21-230-4 COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts | Summit Racing
Xtreme Energy 230/236 Solid Flat Cam for Chrysler 383-440
Solid EDM lifters makes wiping a cam less likely than with hydraulic lifters.
CHRYSLER COMP Cams 2901-16 COMP Cams Performance Series Solid Lifters | Summit Racing
CHRYSLER Howards Cams 91718 Howards Cams Direct Lube Extreme-Duty Mechanical Lifters | Summit Racing
Either way, use the Holley 875. That engine will really want even more carburetor than that. As far as a converter goes, you should really talk to PTC or the like and order a custom tight 9 inch converter. They'll take the information from your combination and build a converter that will be light years ahead of any generic stall rated shelf converter. It'll make the car so much more enjoyable to drive. A little more expensive that an off the shelf converter, but worth every penny.

Most the guys on here have good things to say about Oregon cams.

If racer brown is still going try them. Howard's has a good rep. Also ebay from time to time has good old mopar performance cams for sale. I got my last 292 purple cam there.

I was happy with the recommendation I got from Hughes when I built my 408 stroker. It was a hydraulic roller cam. If you have the budget I would consider a roller cam.

Boys and girls I've run an awful lot of Comp Cams and never had one fail.

I did almost the same build literally. Except the cubic inches. I did a 451 and used this for a cam: https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...b3cgRGVjayk=&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&partid=30256

and was extremely happy. I only had a 3.54 gear and mine was behind 4 speed.

i cant say how happy I was with this engine’s performance. According the boys at Hughes the whole combo should have been around 500hp and 525 torque.

good luck!

B21B9C7D-1BD3-44B7-A71E-6A4BB72421DF.jpeg

Last edited:
1670025648466.png
I would run that in a heartbeat. The intake closing of 42° ABDC would most definitely make that a great street grind.

I ran a 236/242 comp hydraulic roller in my 400/500 with pretty much the same specs. A friend used the 230/236 with close to the same results. I would probably go for something along those lines.

I wish I knew my lower than 3000 rpm torque numbers with my 470, it's right around 560 ft lbs at 3000 rpm though and over 600 at 3300. My cam is 260 -264 at .050 but sft
My point is you can get away with quite a bit with your 470, your static compression is good.
I believe you could easily run in the 244 at .050
Area give or take 2-3 degrees either way.
A really good converter & you'll be very happy.
I can only recommend Howard's or Hughes cams only !
Comp, no F'n way dude.

Last edited:
All those badass rocker arms and you want hydraulic. <smdh>

I need to buy a cam and lifters and would appreciate your suggestions on a hydraulic flat tappet cam for my application. I haven't chosen a specific torque converter yet as I was going to base that on whatever cam I end up with but I would prefer one with a stall speed of 3000 or less as the car will only be driven on the street. Here is what I have:

69 Dart, 400 block with 440 Source 470 stroker kit. 10.8 compression, Eddy Performer RPM heads, Comp Cams Magnum roller rockers, Eddy Performer RPM intake, Holley 775 or 875 cfm carb. (I have both available), TTI 1 3/4" headers, 727 trans., 3.73 gears and 29" tires.
@pishta
@younggun2.0

I run those same rocker arms on a .680 lift solid roller. If you dont mind checking the valves once ain a while a <.600 roller dam in hyd or solid might be worth looking into if your budget allows. I'd talk to PRH or Mike Jones.

If you had to absolutely have a hydraulic flat tappet, this is in stock and would be the upper end of what you could get by with running in that kind of grind. And it would definitely need a GOOD converter to get the best out of it. I almost put it up in the first post. I don't know how big of a hurry you're in, but everything I post is in stock. There's a five month wait time with Howards right now.
Howards Cams, Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft, Chrysler B/BR, 243/251 @ .050, .519/.540, 109 LS - Competition Products
But honestly, you've spent the $$$, it deserves better... you could try a hydraulic roller, but I'm not a fan of hydraulic anything right now, internal lifter quality is hit or miss at best anymore. Here is a super street friendly (in a 10.8:1 470, anyway) in stock Howards grind.
Howards Cams, Rattler Hydraulic Roller Camshaft & Lifter Kit, Chrysler BB B/RB, 235/243 @ .050, .530/.530, 109 LS - Competition Products
But if I went the hydraulic roller route, I would talk to Oregon cams about grind number 1529.
236/240@.050, 288/292 advertised, .561 lift @ 1.5 intake and exhaust, on 110 intake and exhaust lobe centers. It comes in a 110 LSA but I would get it on a 108.

My 400/451 was cammed by my friend so I dont know what he ended up with, IIRC it was a "Monster Motors" grind from some cam company, ~.600 lift@1.5 on 1.6 rockers. My intake was on the small side, a flat 383 Street Dominator for my heads, had to fit under the hood.

I run a very similar setup in my 69 B'cuda. 470" low deck at 10.2:1 compression. RPM heads, same intake,800 Holley DP, 4spd and a 3;73 rear. I'm using a Comp Street solid roller..XR280R. Idles nicely at 900 rpm, makes good low end, pulls HARD through the middle. I always say it rpms like a chain saw and pulls like a freight train!

I have the Trick Flow hydraulic roller for sale if interested. Nib. 243/247 @50 600/600.

-
Back