Cam suggestions for a 360

-

Canyon

Reaction score
Picked up a stock 78 360 the other day and I'm looking to throw a good street cam in it. Not very familiar with cam choices so any help is appreciated. It will be going into my 74 dart, weighes around 3200 lbs, has a 3 speed auto, 7 1/4 rear end with 2.93s I believe, motor is 8:1 cr. So any help is appreciated if there is anything else I should include let me know! Thanks a bunch

Run it as is, until you upgrade the rear.Spend your money on an 8.25 with 3.55s and a SG.
Putting a cam in an 8/1 with 2.93s and a stock teener TC;is a recipe for disappointment.

I just put an Autozone(ATK) rebuilt 360 engine in my Dart. 8:1 compression. Replaced the cam with a MP 268/272 - 450/455 cam installed at 108. Installed comp 901-16 valve springs, retainers, keepers. 600 cfm carb with RPM airgap intake. Headers. 904 trans with stock 318 torque converter. 8 3/4 rear with 3.23 sure grip. Ran 14.1 in the 1/4 mile.(Running out of fuel top of 2nd gear and all through 3rd) I think once the fuel problem is fixed, it will run around a 13.7. Drivability with the stock torque converter is fine. This combo will destroy your 7 1/4 rear. :burnout:

Figured the rear end would be somewhat of a limiting factor lol. Well finally getting warm up here in Utah so hopefully I can find a good one in a yard. Thanks for the info guys

Lots of smart guys on here and I'm sure there's lots of forums on this that can help You decide. Whatever you do don't make the mistake I made when I was a noob, and buy a gimmicky camshaft that makes noise and thump.

Think of your future plans for this car and match your combo from there
FWIW I run a lunati cam.

When yo get a little taller gear the Summit K6900 is a popular choice to make it tickle a little.. From the input I've seen it seems to work well with low comp motors. :burnout: Your gonna want to do new valve springs with it; might as well do the damn umbrella seals on those stems too while your there.. Bring each cyl up to TDC and have at it.

Is it a 2bbl motor or a 4bbl motor? If it's a 4bbl motor, you might like the cam that's in it, as it's about like a 340 cam. If it's a 2bbl motor with a added 4bbl, then you could add a cam of about 220 duration at 50 and between a .450-470 lift. Will it be a headers, or manifolds? Yes, you can put it in front of the 7 1/4 rear for a bit. If it's not a posi and it spins the one legger, it won't stress the rear too bad. You will get by for a bit. And if you are using the factory 318 converter, it will stall up about 200-300 more rpm's with the 360 in front of it, but you will need a balanced flex plate.

With 8.1 compression. I would take a serious look at hughes whiplash cams. They are known to make really good power out of low compression engines.

If it was me? I'd just drop a blower on it and see what happens. But I'm crazy that way.

Is it a 2bbl motor or a 4bbl motor? If it's a 4bbl motor, you might like the cam that's in it, as it's about like a 340 cam. If it's a 2bbl motor with a added 4bbl, then you could add a cam of about 220 duration at 50 and between a .450-470 lift. Will it be a headers, or manifolds? Yes, you can put it in front of the 7 1/4 rear for a bit. If it's not a posi and it spins the one legger, it won't stress the rear too bad. You will get by for a bit. And if you are using the factory 318 converter, it will stall up about 200-300 more rpm's with the 360 in front of it, but you will need a balanced flex plate.

2bbl motor going to a 4bbl, hooker long tube headers. Its definitely a one legger lol. Would you just suggest throwing a 340 cam in it then?

With 8.1 compression. I would take a serious look at hughes whiplash cams. They are known to make really good power out of low compression engines.

If it was me? I'd just drop a blower on it and see what happens. But I'm crazy that way.

Haha i do love the sound of a blower :finga:

2bbl motor going to a 4bbl, hooker long tube headers. Its definitely a one legger lol. Would you just suggest throwing a 340 cam in it then?

That would be a good choice. Several companies make this size of cam.

Could I bother you for a link to one lol #-o

If you want a cam similar to a factory 340, Mopar Performance part number P4452761AE (Summit Racing). This would be the size you would be looking for. Go to comp cams, lunati, crane, and as many other brands that you wish and look at similar sized cams.
A cheap version would be Summit 6901 cam. Hope this helps.

If you want a cam similar to a factory 340, Mopar Performance part number P4452761AE (Summit Racing). This would be the size you would be looking for. Go to comp cams, lunati, crane, and as many other brands that you wish and look at similar sized cams.

It helps tons! I'll probably run that cam till I get my hands on a better rear end! I appreciate it a lot!

It helps tons! I'll probably run that cam till I get my hands on a better rear end! I appreciate it a lot!

You may already know this, but be sure to follow flat tappet break-in procedure (plenty of articles on that). And be sure to use a oil with lots of zinc. An example is VR-1 Valvoline. Or you can also add a zinc additive.

You may already know this, but be sure to follow flat tappet break-in procedure (plenty of articles on that). And be sure to use a oil with lots of zinc. An example is VR-1 Valvoline. Or you can also add a zinc additive.

Yes sir! Cams have always been a bit intimidating to me so I've watched plenty on how to intsall and degree then as well as the break in procedure! But thank you for checking!:prayer:

Sorry brother. That P4452761AE cam is the recommended high performance replacement cam for the 340. Only valve lifts are similar and that's it.

OE 340 cam...... Int. / Exh. .... Lift..............overlap .... C-line
P4452782 ----- 268/276 --- .429/.444 ----- 44 ---------- 114
P4452761 ------ 268/272 --- .450/.455 ---- 50 --------- 110

While the advertised numbers look similar, the @.050 numbers show the spread and how dociles the OE cam is.

OE 340 cam ..... 208/214 @.050
4452761 cam ... 228/231 @.050

Writen by an actual smart fella, not an internet hero.
http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/mpcam-tech-c.htm

New title to thread : I'm putting a 360 in my a body, need new rearend recommendations ????? :coffee2:

New title to thread : I'm putting a 360 in my a body, need new rearend recommendations ????? :coffee2:

step #1 right there.

An posi rear and a gear change will make more performance than the cam cange and set you up to enjoy a cam change more later.

Cams I like for that engine are comp cams 20-246-4, 20-233-4

Sorry brother. That P4452761AE cam is the recommended high performance replacement cam for the 340. Only valve lifts are similar and that's it.

While the advertised numbers look similar, the @.050 numbers show the spread and how dociles the OE cam is.

I'm aware it is a little hotter, that is why I said similar. His 360 with headers will love it. I ran that very cam in a .030 over J-head 360. Smooth idle, excellent street manners, and I ran 13.30's with 3.23 and 28" tire. I hope his headers are only 1 5/8.

Canyon, I would do exactly what your doing. I would never install the 360 without doing the things I planned. Harder to do it in the car, and no need to put it in, only to pull it out and put it back in again. I would put a new rear main seal in it, and while the pan is off inspect the main/rod bearings. I would pop in new freeze plugs. I would install a new timing chain with the cam. Nothing I mentioned here is hard or expensive, and easily done with the motor out of the car.

If your interested in some head work, I have a thread with a "home port" video posted right now. I would suggest if you did the heads, cut them .040 to help compression a little.

The rear end will change out the same with or without the 360 in there. I've beat a while on several 7.25 rear ends before upgrading, and I've never broke one.

Looks like Mopar Performance decided to change their @.050 numbers. This paperwork came with my cam.

Attachments

• DSC01979.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 743
Canyon, I would do exactly what your doing. I would never install the 360 without doing the things I planned. Harder to do it in the car, and no need to put it in, only to pull it out and put it back in again. I would put a new rear main seal in it, and while the pan is off inspect the main/rod bearings. I would pop in new freeze plugs. I would install a new timing chain with the cam. Nothing I mentioned here is hard or expensive, and easily done with the motor out of the car.

If your interested in some head work, I have a thread with a "home port" video posted right now. I would suggest if you did the heads, cut them .040 to help compression a little.

The rear end will change out the same with or without the 360 in there. I've beat a while on several 7.25 rear ends before upgrading, and I've never broke one.

I love it, you think I should run that purple then or something a little more mild?

-
Back