Cam suggestions

-
Yes, I notice the likes. I know the posters are happy that the answer has been given.
IMO, your answers are good!
Just overly long winded with to much info for a given question as well as additional info not needed.

Maybe I shouldda included the stick pokey thing. I appreciate all your contributions.......however wordy. We all know you're a genius. ......and I really mean that. Some of us just don't like to be reminded just how far down the totem pole we really are. LOL

Rusty
Just cuz my posts are long, doesn't mean I'm trying to"show people how smart I am", and I'm sorry you feel that way.
My wife is like that too, and it is somewhat frustrating for me as well.But neither one of us is sorry we married the other.
I am very comfortable in who I am, and definitely not out to prove anything to anyone, especially not to people I will never meet.
I have been wrenching for 48 years so maybe I know a goodly amount about wrenching. But this is a tiny world of information. I know almost nothing about anything else.On many things I am ignorant,on some I am stupid, and on others I don't give a hoot. And I have a lot of opinions. That's what happens when you do the same thing over and over for 48 years,namely, form opinions.
Listen, I know you have a vast amount of knowledge too. And a goodly amount of opinions,as well. I have never seen you give bad advice. That doesn't mean I compare your advice to what mine might have been, on the off chance that one of us could be wrong;not at all.I have learned many things here on FABO, and more than a bit of that learning I have absorbed from you. I consider us as being on the same page.
Hey, everyone knows I'm wordy, and everyone knows you are a bit gruff. I don't ignore your posts cuz of that. I know that I can often learn something from your posts so I read every single one I come across; just as I read every post from everyone else that offers regular helps and advices.Not only am I here to help, I am also here to learn. That's what makes this forum fun for me, and also informative,and also addictive. Every time I log in I just know I'm gonna learn something.
You know I like you Rusty,and I have read in your posts that you might like me,too.You don't have to be nice to me,I get that, But I wouldn't mind at all if you were.

Last edited:
Lol @ RRR
YR is called to the hugging room.
Dr. Rose, Dr. Rose... Dr. Yellow Rose
A/J call Tanya and well all meet at your house.
:rofl:

LMAO

If I was still a drinking man, a social drinker I mean, I would love to sit down with you all,around the BBQ, And you could totally see me for who I am; just another 60 something, overweight, lazy, sometimes stinky, over-sexed, under-loved, failed to graduate,soon to be rotting in the grave,shmuk. You can't see that from your side of the screen........
Thx for the giggles

I don't try to be a dick on purpose; sometimes it just happens.

Last edited:
Then we'll all fit in together like a nice MoPar puzzle.:canada:
Were is the beer drinking smiley?!?!
:lol:

LMAO

If I was still a drinking man, a social drinker I mean, I would love to sit down with you all,around the BBQ, And you could totally see me for who I am; just another 60 something, overweight, lazy, sometimes stinky, over-sexed, under-loved, failed to graduate,soon to be rotting in the grave,shmuk. You can't see that from your side of the screen........
Thx for the giggles

I don't try to be a dick on purpose; sometimes it just happens.
Sounds like fun. And I would pick your brain till you told me to buzz off.

I quit drinking for a reason, so I will pick up the pieces at the party. It could get interesting when the drink makes all the opinions come out.
I told RRR, he and I are of the same mold, we could hang. hell, we all would hang. we wouldn't be outnumbered by the Chivy guys then.
PS I'm still trying to figure out Yellow Rose , he'd be in the backseat. ha ha

Last edited:
I quit drinking for a reason, so I will pick up the pieces at the party. It could get interesting when the drink makes all the opinions come out.
I told RRR, he and I are of the same mold, we could hang. hell, we all would hang. we wouldn't be outnumbered by the Chivy guys at then.
PS I'm still trying to figure out Yellow Rose , he'd be in the backseat. ha ha

Whut???

My *** is in the drivers seat. Always.

LMAO, we'll give you the kids seat in the back with the plastic wheel and squeaky horn button!

LMAO!

Just joking, just joking!

Seriously! We would all have fun! 4 sure! That's the best thing about get togethers. Talk talk talk and then race race race and race!

The XE268 is good. The Crane Z-286-2 is another good one. Just make sure you match the valve springs to whatever you choose.

Agreed. If you want stock springs, don't go much bigger than stock. Retainer to guide clearance may become an issue.

i've used the xe-268 in a warm 340...you might want a higher stall converter with 3.23 gears but those little 205 14's might make that cam acceptable.
i think an xe-256 or 262 would be an improvement with 3.23 and a stock converter
and while i'm at it i'll give AJ an YR who is using a little more "tact" lately a "thumbs up" keep up the good work, it's just too bad with 30,000 members we have the same few contributors!

modified original content with good intent!

Last edited:
To the OP:
I'll buy that 340 cam. Send it my way. On a very mild 318, 340, or 360, you'll search to find better

The old 214/224 camshaft works well with stock parts.

Boy, I can SURE vouch for THAT! I didn't think the cam in my 351M was anything but stock........until I recently had to cut the tail pipes off to gain clearance for an extra capacity gas tank. Anyway, now I can hear an ever so slight bump to the engine. I replaced the valve cover gaskets the other day and for giggles measured the lift. not quite .484 on one side and not quite .512 on the other.......that's Ford's version! LOL I thought the old engine ran too dang strong to be totally stock.

The stock cam is similar to xe250h cam the xe268h would be 3 steps above. So xe256h or xe262h would give a little bump without effecting the low end much. I'd go with the xe262h or similar from another company.

Last edited:
As for AJformS. I like your post. I think it's better to try to give the OP and others info on why to pick a certain cam then just say go with this one. We're all on different levels of understanding. I like how he puts in real world perspective (performance under 60 mph).

Ir3333, IMO, you are correct it n the cam. I have used the split Crane a few times with stock converters & 3.21's.
218/226-.454/.480-112 (IIRC)

The 268 with the smaller tire makes it doable IMO. It is small, thin, will break loose easy.

Ok, I've read what you've all said and decided to just stay stock. I found two contradictory "stock cam" parts. One was from Yearone.com,

Replacement O.E.M. hydraulic camshaft for 1968-1971 340 275 hp engines, 1970 340 290 hp engines, and 1972-1973 340 240 hp engines.
Part Number: FM37
Magnum Muscle Replacement Cams - Designed for high-compression engines, these cams are stronger than stock cams.

Replaces OEM part # 2899206.
Duration at .050: 222 Int. 226 Exh.
Lift: .464 Int. .464 Exh.
Lobe separation angle: 110

The confusion I have is I found many specs for a stock 340 cam of .429/.444 lift with duration 268/276. If this is the case, then the above cam isn't stock "O.E.M. replacement". I have found that Mopar Performance has a cam with these specs,

Mopar Performance P4452782AE
Part Number: 312-P4452782AE
Purple Shaft Hydraulic Camshaft & Lifter Kit
  • Chrysler 273, 318, 340, 360
  • Advertised Duration: 268°/276°
  • Centerline: 114°
  • Lift: .429"/.444"
  • RPM Range: Idle to 5800

Can someone tell me which one I should go with. And, I know I'm asking a lot of probably dumb questions as I may be in over my head, but I would like to replace the cam as I currently have the motor and trans out of the car. The cam that is in it is the original cam and it has 92,000 miles on it. Maybe it doesn't need to be replaced, but I figured since I have the motor out I might as well freshen up the valvetrain.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

The lower one from Mopar Performance is in fact the stock one IIRC.
The Year One camshaft is 'one step up' ... similar to the XE-262 mentioned above.

Last edited:
Konrad the second one from an advertised lift and duration standpoint is the cam that came in 68 auto and all 69-73 340's.

The Year One cam is just a "close cam", similar to Comp cams. They are somewhat close to stock, different ramps, lift etc. but modernized. The same problem exists with the 383/335 HP cam. You wont believe how many people sell the "reproduction" cam. The numbers are all over the place.

-
Back