Camaro site debates mopar vs chevy

-
Just my .02 but everytime i watch pinks i see the chebbies with 600 inch blocks line up to mopars with at least a hundred cubic in disadvantage. Some times the mopars lose but hey they make it a race. Around here everyone has a chevelle or camaro. I live in a subdivison and have a habit of looking into the garages and have seen 5 67-69 camaros and one idiot with a chevelle that he drives around with his loud pipes at 9 when my kids are settled in bed.btw he revs it the entire 800 feet drive past the back of my house.

I appreciate any brand of well built american muscle. I've owned a lot of them in the 70's, but my 1st, and most favorite ones were mopars. I wish I had any of my old cars, no matter what brand they were.

Now I just wish for peace and harmony in the world...and my driveway. 8)

100_2538 (Small).JPG

Well if you never replaced a clutch, then you certainly didn't own the car long enough, and didn't shift the thing with any kind of authority. I have never owned an auto in my life, and I learned to drive behind the wheel of a '68 GTO when I was 15. I upgraded to a '69 Judge after a few years, had a brief affair with a 13,000 mile '68 Firebird 400 4-speed, I finally bought the Old Dominion B/FX 421SD headed,421 H.O. Tripower '65 GTO. That was my last Poncho, and that was 1983.
Muncie 4-speeds are poor, that is why I turned to Mopar. Unbushed aluminum cases, floating the rear bearing inbetween the front case and the tailshaft housing, not enough meat to keep the case straight... My mother bought me an Muncie M-22 for my 17th birthday because she was sick of the car sitting in the garage and her having to park outside. (yes she was VERY COOL, and a GTO fan) The problems with the Muncie were inherent, and while you could cruise a big block 'vette with one all day long, they couldn't take ANY kind of stress or they would pop gear teeth right off the gear. You should have seen the effort I had to put into launching that '68 GTO...The tranny couldn't take dumping the clutch at any kind of rpm due to the huge amount of torque, so I had to ride the thing out from just off idle. Argghhh...never again.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. How old are you, 18?

I sold a 69 rusty Camaro project and used the $ to buy my Duster........never owned a Chevy hot rod. However I think some of the Novas are good looking cars.

This one will shut up anybody that says Mopars suck.................

12.44@ 116 on 7 inch slicks--64 Super Stock Hemi Dodge

64dodgepolara2.jpg

Too funny!!!
This quote's funny, too:
"Chevy 454 LS6 = 450Hp...................Chrysler 426 Hemi = 425Hp"
I heard factory hemis were realistically pushing close to 600hp out of the showroom.

You are correct sir.......HP numbers were BSed a lot of times for Insurance purposes. A tuned Hemi was a 600 HP motor.

This was one of my pride & joys, i do miss it, 159000 miles & 25 mpg highway8)

100_0630.jpg

100_0591.jpg

100_0454.jpg

100_0731.jpg

You must remember 1 thing about Hemi HP ratings...........
Have you noticed that they always are rated at 425 hp@ 5200 rpm? No matter what year? At 5200 rpm they were just getting into their powerband.

So far its a no go but only time will tell.

What happened to the guy on here that was sticking a small block mopar in his camaro????? He should join the camaro website. He would open up a can of worms over there.

I registered night before last and just got the ok a few minutes ago so it takes some time. I've got a picture of a Hemi Charger I need to upload for my avatar. We'll see how that goes. LOL

I think the guy with the camaro got mad about something and left us. Your right that would open up a can of worms though. I'd like to see it.

I was reading some of their replies about Mopars.

Lot's of ignorance and narrow mindedness that i would expect from young, inexperienced punks who did not grow up in the era in which their cars were produced.

I think we all need to register there and post pictures of our "Ugly" Mopars.

cuda14-1.jpg

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. How old are you, 18?

Anybody that knows anything about musclecars knows that muncies were weak. That's why most of the real serious gm racers either used the 833 or toploader. The m22 was real strong but it had a high first gear ratio. I seen more then one muncie explode on the line. Instead of insulting these people maybe the real problem is you don't know what you are talking about?
Why do you think they made a m22 because the m20 and m21 was weak.
The best 4 speed gm had was the Super T10.

I streetraced Chevies in the 80's to pay for my Mopars. That's what you do with a good work mule to support the nice ponies!

Mopars ran longer and didn't require as much crazy stuff that the chevy did, BUT... The Mopars were at least 3 times as expensive to put together. How many BB Mopars back then turned much more than 6500, NOT MANY. My BB chevies saw 8500 sometimes. BB chevies eat flat tappet cams like babies drink formula. They didn't blow up, but, they wore out quickly. I usually offed them before they blew.

I had a friend that owned a nice 70 SS 454 LS6 Chevelle, 4.10 auto car with a converter, built it up pretty nice. Raced him with my stockish, suspension worked, 6 pack 70 GTX with decent tires and 4.56's. He was stunned that I was right on his door or 1/4 panel until about 1000'. Only then did that Chevelle start to pull away

Going to a swap meet was easy, you could trip over rect port alum BB Chevy heads and the only Mopar heads were cast iron stuff.

People that are caught up on one make are really missing out on some great iron. I like all the makes, had nice chevies, ford, whatever, I prefer Mopars.

I streetraced Chevies in the 80's to pay for my Mopars. That's what you do with a good work mule to support the nice ponies!

Mopars ran longer and didn't require as much crazy stuff that the chevy did, BUT... The Mopars were at least 3 times as expensive to put together. How many BB Mopars back then turned much more than 6500, NOT MANY. My BB chevies saw 8500 sometimes. BB chevies eat flat tappet cams like babies drink formula. They didn't blow up, but, they wore out quickly. I usually offed them before they blew.

I had a friend that owned a nice 70 SS 454 LS6 Chevelle, 4.10 auto car with a converter, built it up pretty nice. Raced him with my stockish, suspension worked, 6 pack 70 GTX with decent tires and 4.56's. He was stunned that I was right on his door or 1/4 panel until about 1000'. Only then did that Chevelle start to pull away

Going to a swap meet was easy, you could trip over rect port alum BB Chevy heads and the only Mopar heads were cast iron stuff.

People that are caught up on one make are really missing out on some great iron. I like all the makes, had nice chevies, ford, whatever, I prefer Mopars.

Amen to that, i remember those days, your right about the chevy's eating cam lobes, but they would run, another screamer was the 70 454 Stingray, with slicks & some tuneing, it would run 11.0s, pretty damn quick for a street car in 1970.

Mopars were always cool, there sound, there graphics, there wild paint, these young guys need to understand, if it wasn't for Chrysler being the underdog of the 3, you wouldn't have all these cool Mopars, they did anything to boost sales, some times it work, most of the time it didn't. I also miss the smell of the interiors back then, not anymore, when you sat in a Mopar, you knew it was a mopar, same with the GMs & fords, those were the days.

For the comments on HP ratings on the hemi, those high HP hemi's were the single carb'd engines back around 64-65, there were 3 stages of them if memory serves me, there was a "stage 1", "stage 2", & "stage 3", but they all had 1 carb & were primarily a race engine, then the Hemi came back in 1970 as the 2 4 brrl. 425hp street hemi, i'm sure it made alittle more, but not much, because it was a more streetable Hemi with less compression & cam, i personally think the 2 4 set-up was a sales pitch, & it worked for the most part, the 454s were under-rated too, especially the LS7, they stayed conservative on the HP ratings because the government was cracking down "hard" by this time, but the public still wanted HP & big cubes, they dropped the Hemi after 1971 as not to kill a good thing with lower compression, & a slug, the 440s & 340s fell on there knee's in 72, & the rest is history, the new line in 71 was the 360 & 400 smoggers, by 74, the 440 was a true pig.

Anybody that knows anything about musclecars knows that muncies were weak. That's why most of the real serious gm racers either used the 833 or toploader. The m22 was real strong but it had a high first gear ratio. I seen more then one muncie explode on the line. Instead of insulting these people maybe the real problem is you don't know what you are talking about?
Why do you think they made a m22 because the m20 and m21 was weak.
The best 4 speed gm had was the Super T10.

The Muncie was a fine transmission.

The M20 and M21 offered different ratios. The M22 was the heavy duty version….

Kind of like the 18 or 23 spline we have…

Lots of pointless "fanboy " arguments in this thread.

I simply wish i had the parts resources the Chevy guys have….

And for the record…. I have owned…. (Correctly restored)

1972 Chevelle SuperSport
1966 Chevelle SuperSport 325/396
1969 Camaro SuperSport
1968 Camaro SuperSport 325/396

I want to defend the under 40 yrs old guys.I'm 30 and I've been a motor head my whole life. And I've brought a lot of young guys into the hobby. I've helped restore and built motors for 2 AMC's, 2 Chevelles,a malibu,and some 5.0's plus a ton of mopars.Anyone I've brought into the hobby or helped including my wife, the first thing I tell them is dont talk out your *** about something you dont know and dont say a negative word about any car no matter what make model or what you dont like about it etc. cause someone spent a ton of time effort and cash just like you. We're a pretty diverse group who bust each others chops about different brands but overall we get respect here for following that idea. Just wanted you guys to know that not all young guys are as ignorant as some of those guys on that page.

This is the car in my last response. I know Marvin and have ridden in the car back in the 80s. 2-4 bbls bench seat 4 speed S/S car.
They only made 50-- 38 aluminium nose and 12 acid dipped steel nosed cars.
This was the only hardtop ever made and the only 1 ever sold to a non-professional racer. The original owner picked it up at the plant and drove it 90 miles home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ts6...AF90EA81&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=63

I liked how there were as many if not more replies by Chevy guys on a Chevy site backing up Mopar as to how fast they really are and putting the "know it alls" in their place.
Personally I am a muscle car guy first, Mopar guy second and we all know the Chevy vs Mopar vs Ford fight will go on as long as there are cars, but when it comes down to it, your car is only as fast as your wallet is thick.

There just "bashing the enemy". We do it all the time to them. Chevy's suck! LOL

Just car guys being car guys is all.

JoeDust451

What was done to your camaro!?

By the time slip,looks like it hauled ***!

I agree with 72 durstya.
Because i am the same, as long as muscle is still being
looked after an gets driven,then who cares what it is.
I apreciate all makes an models.
Mopars 1st.

But for other makes,i do have soft spots for mustangs,,68-9
mercury cougars,olds 442's,stingrays,hell theres too many
to name... There all good :)

But yeh,one day i wouldnt mind a mercury cougar...

JoeDust451

What was done to your camaro!?

By the time slip,looks like it hauled ***!

I agree with 72 durstya.
Because i am the same, as long as muscle is still being
looked after an gets driven,then who cares what it is.
I apreciate all makes an models.
Mopars 1st.

But for other makes,i do have soft spots for mustangs,,68-9
mercury cougars,olds 442's,stingrays,hell theres too many
to name... There all good :)

But yeh,one day i wouldnt mind a mercury cougar...

Just bolt-ons, the only thing that really showed improvement was the LT headers & Ory, it still retained its stock rockers/heads & bottom end, with the only other exception being the 4.11s, but in all honesty, they really didn't do much from the 3.42s IMO, now if it had heads/cam, then yes, it even had the stock Opti spark, the nitrous was an NX big shot pilled at 100, had a window switch, purge & blow-down tube, walbro 255 pump, centerforce clutch, ran low 13s @ 102-103 NA. Not too shabby for a chevy lol!!

I find it funny that one guy was trying to say look at the record book and refering to a Motion phase III Camaro. I have to admit that the Motion and the Yenko cars were very nice cars but Chrysler actually sold race cars to the public. If you wanted a killer Camaro or Chevele you had to deal with a few select dealers or order the basic car and modify it yourself.
You could buy a superstock Dodge or Plymouth from any dealer, as long as you knew the code to use. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought a 68 Cuda would turn low 11's right out of the box. Add slicks and headers and low 10's could be had all day.

The Munice is an adequate 4-speed.
It is certainly the GM/Chev Achilles heel. They were weak. The case itself has been redesigned at least twice that I know of. The last version... the "super case" is supposed to finally be OK. I don't know much about it 'cause I don't care anymore.
I hope they finally VENTED the damn thing. The first thing any serious GM 4-speed guy had to do was drill 2 holes in the mainshaft bearing support down half the thickness of the plates height. Then another was drilled horizontally across them. Without this the pressure can get so high in the case it forces lube out the front bearing retainer.
The shifter arm bosses on the side cover were also a *****. The bosses need to be filed down or the shifter arms will rub and even bind.
The ridiculous "EARS" on the case to mount to the bell are horrible. I used to get Muncies for nearly nothing because the ears were snapped off by drawing the 4-speed to the bell with long bolts or threaded rod.
The oiling in the gears is fair and the oiling slots should be opened up with a die grinder.
I previously mentioned the poor...Mainshaft bearing support that is not part of the tailhousing.
The unbushed front case is just plain stupid. Stress on the cluster can start to work the counter gear shaft around until it is...out of round. This is when the cluster "corn cobs". Hahaha...I love that term.
The input shaft is too shallow in the cluster gear as well. GM 4-speed guys shim it backwards deeper into the cluster gear (.040-inch) with Rear pinion shims.
Blahblablablah
Geeeeez i can't remember all the stuff we used to do to Muncies to try to get them to run As well as an 18-spline A833 without any mods.

Burntorange70 got it right perfectly.... "There just "bashing the enemy". We do it all the time to them. Chevy's suck! LOL Just car guys being car guys is all."
I say good for them, I can take it.

-
Back