Cams , pushrods , roller, hydraulic

-

RGA

Reaction score
Hey guys , have an issue . I have a late model roller 360 la non-magnum block I’m building for my daughters 71 duster. When we looked at cams roller cams were big $$. So I went with comp cams hydraulic . I pulled the pushrods and rocker shafts off my the old 318. When I tried to set it up, the pushrods are too short , by like a lot , like an inch at least. So…. Wandering if these roller blocks are different ? Maybe can’t run hydraulic cam and lifters in them ? Not seeing anywhere that much if a difference in stock pushrods from 318 to 360 ? Any help much appreciated. Thanks

I have never noticed a real lot of difference in pushrod length
if the deck is production height. It surprises me!

Last edited:
Are you absolutely sure you didn't get the pushrods mixed up? About an inch short would be about right if you were trying to put the roller pushrods on the hydraulic lifters.
There is absolutely no difference in the standard LA vs the roller LA that would account for the pushrods not working otherwise.

if you use a flat tappet hydraulic cam in the roller cam block you can´t use the pushrods that came with the block....the hydr. roller lifters are much taller, so they need a shorter pushrod.

Michael

Set the roller lifter next to the hyd flat tappet lifter and your pushrod length difference should be obvious.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't get the pushrods mixed up? About an inch short would be about right if you were trying to put the roller pushrods on the hydraulic lifters.
There is absolutely no difference in the standard LA vs the roller LA that would account for the pushrods not working otherwis

Absolutely, only thing I started with was the bare 360 block and the old 318.

Are the hydraulic lifters compressed? Plungers hung up in the bottom of the bores? They should be right up against the retaining clips.
When we looked at cams roller cams were big $$.
Did you contact anybody like Oregon Cams about getting a regrind? They usually come in at a fraction of the cost of a new cam... and they're tailored specifically to your intended use.

Are the hydraulic lifters compressed? Plungers hung up in the bottom of the bores? They should be right up against the retaining clips.

Did you contact anybody like Oregon Cams about getting a regrind? They usually come in at a fraction of the cost of a new cam... and they're tailored specifically to your intended use.
I’ll check lifters , no I didn’t check for a RE-grind . Didn’t know anybody still did that . Good to know .

I measured the pushrods today , they are
6 11/16. Looks to be about 1/2 too short . That’s what came out of the old 318. After checking looks like stock 360 is like 7.3 inches. Sounds like I just need stock 360 pushrods , not sure why the 318 were so short. Unless it has rollers , I didn’t pull the intake , now I’m gona pull it and look whats in there .

-
Back