Cams...too many dang choices!

-

SC69DART

Reaction score
OK,

Everybody has been here I'm sure, a short block rests quietly, all parts and gaskets gathered except.....the cam! Most everything comes from the donor 440, actually everything did come from the 440 whose block decided to start weeping antifreeze for no dang good reason...ugh.

I'm used to hearing it idle in the kind of way that made my Mother-in-Law raise her eyebrows and yell...."are you planning on driving that thing on the street?"

So I have the cam that cam out of the engine but its looking a little worn so I'm thinking, now is the logical time right.

Its a 324/324, Lift .620/.620 Purple Camshaft (mechanical).
I like the radical idle of it and would like to stay radical but bring more low end on board.

Do you educated mopar people know of such a cam?

Im running 3.91 gears with a 3000 stall converter, yep...with that cam! Tricky? you bet. But if have not experienced anything else you dont know how bad you have it or what your missing.

Here's the rest on the car to help you think it through:

1969 Dodge Dart
RPM 84cc heads with Harland Sharp 1.6 Roller Rockers and a little port work
30 over 440, decked to zero, balanced, blueprinted.
Mopar high rise single plane intake
Holley DP 850
Headers

Id like 2800-? on the cam, not sure how lift plays into things either.

How about a little education because I'm sure others have hit this wall too.

use the same cam and check you piston to valve clearance, then if this is good advance the cam 6-8 degrees and loosen the valve lash up .006" to .008". this will lower the torque band of the cam to suit the rest of your combo.

I'm used to hearing it idle in the kind of way that made my Mother-in-Law raise her eyebrows and yell...."are you planning on driving that thing on the street?"

I guess will be the only one recommending the Comps Big MotherThumper, It will give you that Idle you like. I have one in my small block I really like it havn't dynoed it yet though.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...C&Product_Code=21-602-5&Category_Code=THMCRS3

Use the MoPar 312/.590 cam and blocks do not weap for no good reason! What happened?!?!?!

Well,
I bought the car in Ohio and drove it and heard it run, that was in September...warm enough outside, no visible puddles under the car, no smell. At the end of September I moved to SC...very warm...see, no freezing issues. I went to change the oil pan gasket and there were teenie tiny beads of antifreeze on the drivers side of the block, 6 or seven of them, just below the block numbers. I imagine that the amount was so small that it dried on the hot block before it dripped...if thats possible. I freaked out and purchased a short block and am now in the process of swapping all of the parts over.
I dont think I would have felt safe driving it, like a grenade!
Do you really think putting the same cam back in will work out ok? I mean Im all for using it but I guess Im wondering if there is another cam choice out there that will tweak a little more out of this engine. Im no racer, cant even call myself a weekend warrior, but I would still like to do this right and feel good about the choices of components that are going into this car.

I would put in a brand new cam even if the it was the same spec'd cam.

Thanks everyone. I decided to write Racer Brown a letter with my specs and see what he recommends. I have see good reviews for his cams. I have a line on some solid roller rockers but hear that they need replacement at 10K? Whats up with that.
I will let you know.

Just make sure you change the lifters with the cam.

oh and also check that you have the correct valve springs for new cam, lifter, rocker setup, it all adds up and makes a difference.

Good luck with your decision.

Racer Brown is working on it for me based on the specs I gave them about the car, engine, trans, stall, gears, and such. They did say that the Mopar single plane intake had to go and recommended an RPM. While Im waiting on the cam selection I want to try and sell/trade the single plane intake for a dual plane, something good for the street.
Keep your ears open for anyone looking!

Thanks FABO members.

Racer Brown is working on it for me based on the specs I gave them about the car, engine, trans, stall, gears, and such. They did say that the Mopar single plane intake had to go and recommended an RPM. While Im waiting on the cam selection I want to try and sell/trade the single plane intake for a dual plane, something good for the street.
Keep your ears open for anyone looking!

Thanks FABO members.

Have you been over to http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/

A lot of big block guys over there.

Thanks Marland,
You may want to consider selling some parts and getting those teeth fixed...damn!

-
Back