Camshaft suggestions

-
Forgot to mention...
We will be at Roadkill nights and the Woodward Dream Cruise. (We live 10 minutes away) I f any of you are going to be at either event please shoot me a message!
Would be cool to meet you guys!!
Thanks again!!

Mike

Quick and easy Dynamic compression calculator.
Wallace Racing: Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator
I figure about 8.2-8.5:1 depending on which head gasket is used. Gear, rear tire diameter, and converter is going to be the deciding factor. Going to have to keep it very mild, unless you want to go ahead and do what it takes to get to 9-9.5:1. Stock J heads stall out around .500 inch of lift. I know this is just a cam selection thread, and this isn't a budget friendly way of doing it, but if the bottom end is fairly fresh with low wear and good ring seal, this is really a case where stepping up to a set EngineQuest magnums ( Efficient 62 cc chambers for a bump to 9:1 and much better O.O.T.B. flow) with the early intake pattern and associated valvetrain hardware would make your goal of "Max Hp and Drive Ability" a lot more attainable. As stated, if the heads are stock or close to it and you elect to sink $$$ into them for springs, seats, and 2.02 valves as mentioned, your probably going to be a lot happier going to the next step and upgrading and then matching the cam to the existing hardware.
Weeeelllll - With the lower compression than optimum, a good set of springs and a lower lift cam (say .470" max) is probably a good place to be. You won't really see any benefit from going to the 2.02" valves - not really any benefits there until you get to 6000 rpm plus. Not saying it won't get there - eventually. Two areas where people get over enthused is too much cam and too much carb. Been there, done that! (corrected that with 4:56 gears - but freeway driving really sucked!) Yep - that was in 1968.
RT

-
Back