Camshafts, idle quality, driveability and LSA-REAL WORLD EXP and OPINION

-
Your camshaft choice will be very satisfying. Put them in straight up, your static comp maybe a touch high for a boat and the available fuel on the water. I'd bet your idle vacuum to be somewhere around 16-17" without much difficulty, idling around the docks and outdrive shifting should be a non-issue with a low RPM idle speed you will use. Keep us updated when you dyno them. J.Rob

The GM Vortec marine engines run 9.4 to 1 compression, so that is what I aimed for, making sure I had good .040 quench. Would I be better off going up to a .050 quench and lowering the compression to 9.2? At the fuel docks it's usually 93 and sometimes 89 Octane. I plan on keeping some good Octane boost on board in case it's an issue at unknown docks. I'm running Volvo drives and they use a cone clutch so that should also help with shifting around the docks.

That cam should idle very nice around the docks. Unless the manufacturer specs and install of 110 I'd go 2 degrees to start. If it idles decent maybe 114 would really suit you better. Is this going on a dyno first?

Yes I plan on breaking them in out of the boat then tuning them on the dyno. Hoping to drop them in the boat and running the snot out of them right away. I'm sure it won't happen that way lol

The GM Vortec marine engines run 9.4 to 1 compression, so that is what I aimed for, making sure I had good .040 quench. Would I be better off going up to a .050 quench and lowering the compression to 9.2? At the fuel docks it's usually 93 and sometimes 89 Octane. I plan on keeping some good Octane boost on board in case it's an issue at unknown docks. I'm running Volvo drives and they use a cone clutch so that should also help with shifting around the docks.

Yes, my stock merc 5.7 claims 9.4. Gas docks serve up ethanol free... Most run at 160ish degrees so that helps

OK....try this one
408 stroker
9.9ish cr
LD340 or RPM intake
Heads undecided but 270+ flow @ .550 with closed chambers
1 5/8 x 3" headers
904 a/t with 2700 stall
3.55s
Power brakes. ( I've run PBs with 8"s of idle vacuum to my satisfaction....)
Mostly street with 3-4 track days per year
I want to go roller (solid or hydraulic)
3600 lb Fastback

Did I leave any vitals out ?

OK....try this one
408 stroker
9.9ish cr
LD340 or RPM intake
Heads undecided but 270+ flow @ .550 with closed chambers
1 5/8 x 3" headers
904 a/t with 2700 stall
3.55s
Power brakes. ( I've run PBs with 8"s of idle vacuum to my satisfaction....)
Mostly street with 3-4 track days per year
I want to go roller (solid or hydraulic)
3600 lb Fastback

Did I leave any vitals out ?

Your headers are way too small, and probably too long. Skip the hydraulic roller cam and go solid. Probably not enough stall. You can't spend enough on a converter.

Solid was my inclination and I figured the headers might be too small. I can change that.
I have mulled over W2s for heads or maybe IMMs EQ magnums ported.
I could go Eddy but Im not fond of the look on a motor. I like a stock sleeper look... ( I hate to admit Id do something just for cosmetics..)
So if I stay under .600 lift how would you spec out a cam ? Solid roller.....

Number one, with that tiny engine the headers aren't too small unless you plan on spending a lot of time over 6,000 rpm. Number two, tough to pick a cam when you don't know what intake manifold and heads (intake and exhaust flows for certain) you are going to run. Oh, bye-the -bye, I'm just asking for the information for others, because I have no intention of designing a cam for you.

LD340 or Perfomer airgap (listed in post)
W2's or IMMs (my mistake ... they are Indy's) ported to flow in the 270 range @ .550 intake ...195 exhaust (listed in post)
I would consider any recommendations on heads...
leaning away from the W2's because of expense although I have run them before with fantastic results...

If you like the sleeper look, check into what Nick Scavo does to his heads.

235 to 245 duration @ 0.050" with around .550 " lift

Narrow your choices to 3 - 4 cams and get back to us :)

this would be one of my under educated choices...

Lunati Part Number: 40200732LK
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 273/279
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 243/249
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .578/.585
  • LSA/ICL: 110/106
  • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .016/.016
  • RPM Range: 2800-6800
  • Includes: Cam & Lifters (#72420-16)
But the point is to see how the debaters would each design a cam with respect to
LSA relative to lift and duration to meet the goals I set forth .

IMG_0218.JPG

Any thoughts on this stick

I ran a Comp very close to those specs in a W2 360 with 12.5:1 cr...
ran like a raped ape up high but not really "street friendly " ..
Revved to 8k really quick ! Shift light was a must !

Number one, with that tiny engine the headers aren't too small unless you plan on spending a lot of time over 6,000 rpm. Number two, tough to pick a cam when you don't know what intake manifold and heads (intake and exhaust flows for certain) you are going to run. Oh, bye-the -bye, I'm just asking for the information for others, because I have no intention of designing a cam for you.

Really? It's 400 plus inches. It needs a 1.875 tube about 30 inches long and the cam to match it. That 1.625 tube is for dead stock stuff or Comp eliminator. There really is no in between.

Really? It's 400 plus inches. It needs a 1.875 tube about 30 inches long and the cam to match it. That 1.625 tube is for dead stock stuff or Comp eliminator. There really is no in between.
Just my experience on our dyno testing small block headers on a 423.5 ci LA engine to 6,500 rpm. I realize it wasn't much of an engine as it only made 601 HP on 91 octane.

Just my experience on our dyno testing small block headers on a 423.5 ci LA engine to 6,500 rpm. I realize it wasn't much of an engine as it only made 601 HP on 91 octane.

What cam were you using ?

I'm not seeing the lca Not trying to look like a dumb axx but

I couldn't see it either, but if you add the intake centerline and the exhaust centerline together and divide by two you get the LSA. I also didn't see where Crane said to install it, but the late closing LSA could use some advance.

I couldn't see it either, but if you add the intake centerline and the exhaust centerline together and divide by two you get the LSA. I also didn't see where Crane said to install it, but the late closing LSA could use some advance.
Intake max lift at 103 degrees after top dead center = 103 ICL. They want it 5 degrees advanced on a 108 LSA. (103 + 113)/2 = 108

What cam were you using ?
Our custom designed solid roller we had Comp Cams grind for us. It's not one I would call out for power brakes. I design all the cams for the engines we build.

I was busting your chops....:) I didnt think you would reveal the grind and it most likely wouldn't be the right choice for my build .

So.... is there a profile for a build like I described that would allow for a milder idle and vacuum yet still make use of the head flow in the upper rpms ?
Or does one have to tolerate a lumpy idle and low vacuum in an engine like this?

That is the whole point of this thread isn't it ?

There is another thread that was posted and I've linked to it that shows this exact comparison in a members 340. I linked to it in the original thread where the initial disputes of LSA took place.

Keep in mind on what lustle said that the torque itself may not happen at a lower RPM, just the peak HP.

The torque should be more and at a lower RPM. I'll post charts below.

Did I read his question right and your answer right??
You are saying you'll have more low end torque with a 108* LSA and less with a 112* LSA?

His question

With a tighter LSA you should have more torque at lower rpm. Might not be more OVERALL torque, but just more at a lower rpm. For example (and im pulling this outta my butt) 112 LSA might have 200 ft lbs at 3000 RPM, the 106 will have 200 ft lbs at 2600. It will at least make the same torque, just lower. But generally tighter LSA cams make more overall torque as well. It just all gets moved earlier and ends sooner.

While YR may have his problems with these articles. They give you a general idea of tight vs loose LSA. With the tighter LSA cams you can see how while they generally make more power/torque, it's earlier in the power band. You can also see how they fall off sooner. The crane article is especially good at showing this.

upload_2016-12-24_6-44-53.png

Look at the 104. Peaks torque between 5100 to 5200. While the 110/114 pull to 5400. Horsepower it's very evident. With the 104 plateauing at 6600-6700 then falling off. The 110 falling at 6900. The 114 still going flat at 7000.

the 110 LSA cam perform, it is easy to
see why this grind has become such a favorite of aftermarket. (Remember the whole bit about common LSA range?) cam grinders. The balance of midrange torque, idle quality and top-end horsepower seems to lend this cam to the majority of street/strip engines.

This LSA is a great middle-of-the-road cam that offers a taste of both worlds.

It also made peak HP.

That's part of why they chose it. 110 is the middle of the road and does offer a great compromise between max power and streetability. BUT it's also easier to mass manufacture cams when they are all ground on the same LSA core. Easier for mass production and such.

Last edited:
Call Rhodes lifters....... They have obviously figured it out..... Then everyone can debate Holley's and Carter AFB's which is far more entertaining lol.......

JW

-
Back