Can a 440 fit in a 1970 duster?

-

onebud

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm a new member and I'm also new to this mopar thing. I'm wondering
what is the largest cubic inch motor that will fit in my 70 duster with
headers? 383? 440? I would like to replace the 360 that I currently have.

Any help would be great.

Absolutely it will. Since Dodge slammed the 440 in the Dart for 1969, it'll sure go into a Duster. Those two cars essentially share the same front clip.

i would post this in big block forum there are a lot of folks out there who deal with these issues good luck

All 67-76 A-body engine compartments are the same. The 383 (B engine) was optional from 67-69, and the 440 (RB engine) was an option in 69. This means that a 440 could be installed using all factory parts. You would need at minimum a big block K-member and engine mounts. Sadly, these factory parts are now quite scarce and insanely expensive if you can find them. Your best bet would be a set of conversion engine mounts from Schumacher.

The factory quit offering the big block after 69 for four reasons. First, they really didn't sell well, and were hard to insure. Second, they were nose heavy pigs which handled badly. Third, a 340 car was usually as fast or faster. And fourth, but most importantly, they didn't want the little economy car A-bodies to steal any thunder from the new for 1970 E-bodies.

Don't think I'm trying to discourage you from making this swap, but consider your options. You could make your 360 into a 408 cheaper, and go as fast as you want. Either way, search around on this forum, and bigblockdart.com, plenty of info about both.

C130 Chief Would the same go for a 383? Would I still need to find a big block K member and different motor mounts? Another question is physical size, is the 383 and 440 the same size and weight? Thanks!

Actually, Schumacher makes conversion motor mounts that allow you to put a big block onto K-frames welded up for sixes and small blocks. A number of people here have used them.

Welcome to FABO. I have done this swap a lot. My last one was my 71 440 Scamp. Send me a PM if you need some help.

Don't know
DSCF0320.jpg

OH, and WELCOME

the 383 is not a wide as a 440. either will fit in your car. Schumacher mounts are around $150 and they make them to fit your car. Also Transdapt makes conversion mounts for around $80. A good set of headers can be had for around $700. If you have power steering and power brakes you keep both if you use Schumacher headers.

if you have 440 and PS it could be interesting. I have seen it done on Herb Beers 67 Dart but he had to modify stuff to make it work

The stroker small block would be easier, but nothing beats opening the hood with a big block

Welcome to the site

OH, working on a big block A body can be challenging. My brother had a factory 383 69 Dart GTS. I use to get to drive it and that ended up me having to work on it .................... LOL

-
Back