Can a carb be tuned with an A/F gauge

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if an Air Fuel gauge would be useful in tuning a carb?
Anybody have one on their engine?
If you have dual exhaust is two required?

This looks like it might take out some guess work in tuning. what do y'all think?

It's a really good tool to have. Put a bung in each headpipe and compare sides. Look for best results by performance for WOT, and not tune to a predetermined number. This is where going to the track is very good to have. You'll find the number the engine likes best for max MPH.

For idle and cruise, shoot for around 14:1 for both. Sometimes you can't get there without some issues. You can see lean/rich spikes when applying the throttle, etc. and make adjustments.

If you have a holley, learn about what each circuit does and where it comes into play. you can tear your hair out trying to tune it up! :)

That's what i did on my car. There's only one flaw, seeing the a/f ratio as you drive will just remind you why carbs suck. I've got mine "mostly tuned", but seeing how much it fluxuates is gonna drive to efi pretty soon.

Yes, IMO, it is a good idea to do. It helps you to understand and see what changes do what and see how it effects your ride in various ways.

Also understand that the day you tune it is all the time is good for because tomorrow's conditions are different and your carb is out of tune again. This is the carb's drawback vs. EFI. But worry not, millions apon millions of cars have run fine for decades like this.

Basic carbs like the OE factory units and aftermarket (basic) Holley and Edelbrock carbs will only get so good. Upper level (read expensive and more complicated) Holley's have much more adjustments to them and can be as fine as a FI system. But only for that run since conditions change later in the day and throw it off tune.

A dual sensor is good if the device can average in the 2 sides.
The 02 sensors are installed in the headers collector, not the reducer which bolts onto the header or like said above, in the exhausts down pipe. AKA right after the exhaust manifold.

i was gonna go that route but the a wideband is 300 bucks and out here a good dyno tune will run u 150 an hoirnwith max ofn2 hours and no headache on tuning..just take it to a goodmdyno shop and be done with it.

i was gonna go that route but the a wideband is 300 bucks and out here a good dyno tune will run u 150 an hoirnwith max ofn2 hours and no headache on tuning..just take it to a goodmdyno shop and be done with it.
and when the weather changes a few days later.....

They work well,Especially for a cruiser.I got the F.A.S.T Wideband setup to tune mine with, i was surprised at how off it was when cruising around and at WOT.After i dialed everything in, I think i picked up a couple of tenths and about 3 MPG.But like others have said everytime the weather or temp changes it'll be off some , I just change up the tune for summer and winter and call it good enough.

I do. It is a great tool. You can see what is going on while you are driving..... I helped in picking out a proper power valve.... Among other things.

-
Back