Can This Really Make a Difference?

-

Georgesee

Reaction score
I want to replace the starter in my 225 slant six. The one I took out is for an automatic tranny and I have the three speed manual. I didn't know they make a starter for manual transmissions but mine did not have that type. Is it critcal that I buy one for a manual tranny or can I continue using the one they sell for automatics? I was able to find out that the starter for the manual has 9 piñon gears teeth and the automatic has 10. I didn't have issues with the old starter,but now that I rebuilding the engine I thought I would change out the starter. What should I do?

PICCHURES. FOTOS. Phart nawhbaws. Otherwise we have no idea "whut."

Some heavy trucks may use "different starters."

All gear drive Mopar starters interchange. They are not all the same. There are changes over the years with manufacturing, and there is different motor power ratings. But ALL gear drive starters will bolt up to any engine they were intended for, and will crank the engine.

AND as USUAL it would help immensely if we had some idea what you are working on. THIS is a Mopar

Picture+1.png

I have no idea what it uses for a starter

Why does it matter if the starter is for a manual or automatic transmission? I have a 225 slant six and rebuilding the engine. I took out the old starter and found that it is for an automatic tranny and I have a three speed manual. I didn't have any issues with it before I removed it. Should I stick with it or buy one designated for a manual transmission? Will it cause problems down the road if I leave it in? I was able to find out that the manual tranny starter has 9 gear teeth and the auto has 10. Also, that the manual is twice the cost as the one for an automatic. So, would it be OK to stick with the automatic starter?

What year motor are you working on? I thought i've read someplace that 62 and earlier slants took a different starter. Might try the search function both here and over at slant6.org.

I believe the 10 tooth pinion was used on the early non-gear-reduction starter,, and the 9 tooth on all gear-reduction starters,, 6 or 8 cyl..

Keep using what you have..

Thanks guys! I have a 65 Dodge a100 pick up. Sorry I didn't mention that first. So, it sounds like my current starter, though listed for an automatic, would not be a problem using it on my three speed tranny?

Correct, no difference between auto and manual tranny starters that anyone here has heard of, but we aren't experts on the trucks. Someone (you?) posted a photo of a monster Mopar starter a few months ago that someone said was a "direct drive" and used on some trucks. When you do get a new starter, consider one from a Magnum engine since 1/2 size and weight. Bolts right up (usually, some had to file a spot).

The difference is; one has shunt-wound windings, and the other is series-wound.I dont recall which is which. The shunt-wound starter is RPM self limiting. The other will no-load spin till it blows up.lol. Ive rebuilt several of each, and on slantys and sbms I see no advantage to either.
If it fits in the hole and cranks the engine, fugetabowdit.

I did look into a replacement as you suggested, Barbee, but man are the little ones pricey. If you know where I can find one at a reasonable cost I'm all ears.

I did look into a replacement as you suggested, Barbee, but man are the little ones pricey. If you know where I can find one at a reasonable cost I'm all ears.

mid 90s Dakota, $25 at a local wreckeryard?

I've never seen an interchange note regarding transmission usage on gear reduction starters so I'm not sure how you know it was for an automatic transmission. Starter # 2095150 was the only starter used through 1969 so if your truck has a gear-reduction starter, that's the one it had.

It DOES have a gear reduction starter doesn't it?

That said you can use any gear reduction starter you want, even the Nippondenso(Toyota) mini-starter, which started showing up in 1988 on TBI 3.9's and 318's.

-
Back