Can you ID this manifold ? Look closely …

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
Small block yes … but ?
BTW this is NOS
F8233D1C-C02D-4C84-BF4D-22726CE3785E.jpeg

B3FA0FB7-F114-4F6B-9DFF-2BFACA061FB9.jpeg

Is it aluminum? Choke well, heat cross over, E.G.R. holes deleted. Mopar Performance piece?

Is it aluminum? Choke well, heat cross over, E.G.R. holes deleted. Mopar Performance piece?
Not sure how they were marketed . Maybe thru MP catalog. Dont think they ever installed them at the factory . Maybe Little Red Express or cop car pursuit packages ?

I know nothing about small blocks so this is just a wild-*** guess....a manifold to retro-fit a carb to a magnum FI motor?
Edit:it looks unfinished to me. Look at the thermostat.

I have owned this intake for a while but never noticed the lack of crossover .

Maybe it is an old Direct Connection piece from the days of Mopar being really involved with NASCAR and NHRA competition

Lay a stock gasket on it. If the bolt pattern is off it's a stick appearing w2 intake. Basically a redrilled stock tq intake with part number so it was legal for stock circle track classes requiring iron intakes and heads.

Maybe for a W2 headed motor & Thermoquad? I also noticed the D/E casting at the bottom left of the manifold. Isn't it usually D/N. (Day shift or night shift, depending on where the arrow is pointing) Does the "E" stand for evening? Lots of strange stuff on that manifold. You know what it's for don't cha! :lol:

Lay a stock gasket on it. If the bolt pattern is off it's a stick appearing w2 intake. Basically a redrilled stock tq intake with part number so it was legal for stock circle track classes requiring iron intakes and heads.
Winner winner Chicken Dinner !
It is a factory cast iron W2 intake made to cheat roundy pound classes that require stock cast iron intakes. But rumor has it that they considered W2s for the Little Red Express as well as rumors about 80/81 pursuit packages being equipped with W2s. A very prominant racer swore he had parted out such cars and had a letter from a Chrysler official verify such cars existed. He has since passdd but I think his name was Sanford….

Wasn’t that a circle track Kit Car catalog item? A really cool piece, I would guess there are probably less than a handful still in existence.

A very prominant racer swore he had parted out such cars and had a letter from a Chrysler official verify such cars existed. He has since passdd but I think his name was Sanford….
I believe his name was Sanborn. A circle track guru. Had a wealth of information about oiling and coolant mods for Mopar small blocks.

Correct on the manifold.
Mopar also told NHRA that the Lil Red Express trucks
came with the W2 Heads and conversion came with the
trucks to be dealer installed. This allowed the W2 stuff
to be used in class that required a production available and
produced Head.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see a dyno run of a pro-prepped Thermoquad /W2 motor with that intake. Could be a wicked street motor.

-
Back