can you use a converter out of a /6 904 on a v8 904??

-

eviper21

Reaction score
im gonna put a 318 in my duster, it has a /6 now so im gonna get rid of the current tranny, my question is, can i use the TQ converter thats in my /6 tranny for a 318??

yes as long as the trans/engine are either both 68 and newer or 67 and older...

the splines and hub sizes changed in 68...

also the slant converter will stall up a little more for a SBM

whats SBM? and is more stall good or bad?

ima complete virgin when it comes to auto trannys (replaced many 5 speeds/clutches tho)

so is there anything particular i need to watch out for when swapping / installing? thanks

there are 2 converters for the 6 cyl. a high stall and a low stall. if one uses the high stall 6 in a v-8 it will usually stall about 400 rpm high than the high stall for the v-8. tried it on my sons 340. took out 340 high stall and added 6 cyl high stall and it did work. these are factory converters not high dollar after market

whats SBM? and is more stall good or bad?

ima complete virgin when it comes to auto trannys (replaced many 5 speeds/clutches tho)

so is there anything particular i need to watch out for when swapping / installing? thanks

small block mopar...

and yes more stall is good to a point, or if the combo needs it...

whats SBM?

Like 805 said, SBM is a small block MoPar. Abbreviation's are common and send me for a stall while I figure them out sometimes. LOL

and is more stall good or bad?

Again like 805 said, more stall is fine. It's only 400 rpm or so as said before. More stall allows you to possibly get off the line quicker. This should be absolutely fine for what your doing. Even if you put in a small cam.

[so is there anything particular i need to watch out for when swapping / installing? thanks

The /6 has a 904 trans and if the same style (904) trans is what the 318 has, there should be no problem at all, just a direct swap.

Save the old parts and re-use them as needed. (New stuff is better of you have a few coins for it)
Just use common sense, think, look, think again while doing thisand you'll be fine. Be careful, and enjoy.

Yup, and to add my $.02, the stall speed on a given converter is determined by the internal parts in the converter and the horsepower put to it. So, the same converter behind a 150 HP engine will stall at a lower RPM than a 300HP engine.

Remember the converter is indexed , will only fit the flex plate one way ,take the flex plate off your 318 and put it up to your verter to match up the mounting holes , mark 1 bolt with paint, file, grinder, something that you will know when it is lined up correctly. then reinstall the flex plate to the crank .

-
Back