Can you use stock rods, with new pistons?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Whats the "norm" for this, or what is suggested. I'm thinking of looking into those KB pistons as well... or if anyone has any suggestions? If I'm getting new pistons I might as well look into an upgrade. I don't want to spend a lot. (Although I know I've already crossed that threshold.)

Thanks!

Eagle has some good prices on their I beams- especially on ebay. I will probably end up going this route with my stroker. I have read that you have to grind the block a little at the bottom of the cylinders and possible the top balancing pad on the stockers. Seems like I could just buy the I beams and be done with it.

Yes, you can use old rods with new pistons. I checked to make sure they weren't twisted and the little end was okay before I re-assembled the last three Mopar street engines I have built. No problems with any of them.

the big ends will need to be resized...and you should replace the rod bolts..

which now is close to the cost of the eagle I beams...

If you're going to get new rods, get Scat I-beams. They are MUCH stronger than the Eagles for about the same price...the price is close to the cost of reconditioning the stock rods with new bolts.

Scat I-beam is 4340 steal, rated up to 650 hp.
Eagle I-beam is 5140 steal, rated up to 500 hp.

If you're going to get new rods, get Scat I-beams. They are MUCH stronger than the Eagles for about the same price...the price is close to the cost of reconditioning the stock rods with new bolts.

Scat I-beam is 4340 steal, rated up to 650 hp.
Eagle I-beam is 5140 steal, rated up to 500 hp.

Agree. Not to mention the Scat I-beams are significantly lighter then stock rods. Lighter means faster reving engine and less stress on crank and main caps.

For what its going to cost you to have the rods resized and new bolts installed,you can buy a set of the Eagle i-beams and be safe up to atleast 500 h.p....

Agreed. How ever, if your stock rods check out K, then just re-use them, there plenty strong. If you need to spend money on them, don't, turn them into paper weights, sinkers for fishing, door stops, etc...

FWIW, 73 (or 73 and up) 318 rods are forged, if I remember correctly, which would mean that they should be plenty durable enough, so as long as they dont need any major work done to them.

-
Back