Canadian 65 Valiant

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 65 Canadian Valiant come in 2 different body styles - the US style 65 Valiant and the US style 65 Dart? If they came in the US Valiant style, did the hood emblem that hides the latch spell out PLYMOUTH or VALIANT? I've got one of those emblems that came from OZ that spells out VALIANT that I will be posting for sale shortly (was gonna use it on my 65 'vert instead of the Plymouth emblem)

My car is a 65 Valiant Custom 200 which is a US Dart . The hood emblem has the Valiant V logo,

Attachments

• 65Dart 0062.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 437
My car is a 65 Valiant Custom 200 which is a US Dart . The hood emblem has the Valiant V logo,

Is that hood emblem the little round one in the center of the hood?

Anyone have a 65 US Valiant-style in the Canadian series? Hood emblems spells out Plymouth or Valiant?

Here it is, sorry about the quality, car is on jackstands in my garage, I had to lean over from the side to take the picture.

Attachments

• ABodies 007.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 441
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 65 Canadian Valiant come in 2 different body styles - the US style 65 Valiant and the US style 65 Dart?

Yes, for 1965 only.

If they came in the US Valiant style, did the hood emblem that hides the latch spell out PLYMOUTH or VALIANT?

VALIANT, as in Australia. Valiants were sold at Chrysler Plymouth and Dodge dealers in Canada through '66; the cars were not badged "Plymouth" (or Dodge, though '60-'62 models had a "By Chrysler" badge, also used in Australia). Note that some '65 Valiants were imported to Canada from the US to cover a strike; these had US-spec underhood and interior equipment but I don't know if they used US-spec trim. It is likely they wore export trim ("Valiant" rather than "Plymouth").

The Dart-shaped '65 Canadian Valiants had a red-and-blue V Valiant logo in place of the Dodge Fratzog at the front of the hood.

The U.S. '64 Valiant owner's manual has a picture showing how to open the hood. It shows a "VALIANT" nose badge.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the 65 Canadian Valiant come in 2 different body styles - the US style 65 Valiant and the US style 65 Dart? If they came in the US Valiant style, did the hood emblem that hides the latch spell out PLYMOUTH or VALIANT? I've got one of those emblems that came from OZ that spells out VALIANT that I will be posting for sale shortly (was gonna use it on my 65 'vert instead of the Plymouth emblem)

I apologize in advance for the louzy pic....Top hood emblem is for Canadian Valiant 100 series cars(same body style as US Valiant)...says "Valiant" instead of "Plymouth" that the US cars have....

Bottom hood is Canadian '64...has different design hood latch....just some trivia for ya.

Attachments

• Valiant Hood latch '64 vs. '65 001 (Small).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 400
I'm confused. The 63 & 64 Canadian Valiants, I know, had US Valiant front clips on the US Dart's body. And I know the 65-66 Canadian Valiants were US Darts badged as Valiants. Now you're saying that in 65, the US style Valiant was also sold in Canada.
How were they marketed? Were there two different Signets, two different 100 series and two different 200 series that were sold side by side at Canadian dealers? Or were there different names or series numbers for the two different bodies?

I'm confused. The 63 & 64 Canadian Valiants, I know, had US Valiant front clips on the US Dart's body. And I know the 65-66 Canadian Valiants were US Darts badged as Valiants. Now you're saying that in 65, the US style Valiant was also sold in Canada.
How were they marketed? Were there two different Signets, two different 100 series and two different 200 series that were sold side by side at Canadian dealers? Or were there different names or series numbers for the two different bodies?

Jim...yes, in '65, Canadian Valiants came in 2 flavors....The "100" series used the US Valiant body style. The "200" and "Signet" series used the US Dart body style. Confusing???...tell me about it!!! I was lost when I first got my '65 Canadian Valiant Custom 100 'vert. Here's a website that explains it pretty well...and saves me from typing it all here! :)

http://www.valiant.org/canada.html

happy reading...

Here is my 65 Valiant V200, American model. The information I've been givin on it was it was originally bought somewhere in Canada, as the owner lived in Surrey, BC. I bought it from the 2nd owner. The emblem on the hood says VALIANT, and the emblem on the trunk lid also said VALIANT, but it was badly pitted, so I put one on that says PLYMOUTH, which I like better anyways because nowhere on the car did it even say Plymouth. Here are some pics of it, don't mind the bent bumper or how rough it is.

IMG_0046.jpg

DSC04055.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

DSC03343.jpg

DSC03345.jpg

DSC03346.jpg

DSC03352.jpg

DSC03353.jpg

Mike...Yup, your car is an American Valiant (US dash board), but someone's gone ahead and changed the hood ornament, or the whole hood, to a Canadian one.

You'll also find that the VIN is a whole different set of letters/numbers than a Canadian Valiant. My Canadian Valiant VIN started off "V3E5...."

Does the front fender "spear" say "Valiant 200"?

I know for sure it says '200' but I can't quite remember if it says Valiant 200, for some reason I think it does, but I am not near the car right now to tell you for sure. When I get home though, I'll update the thread.

I apologize in advance for the louzy pic....Top hood emblem is for Canadian Valiant 100 series cars(same body style as US Valiant)...says "Valiant" instead of "Plymouth" that the US cars have....

Bottom hood is Canadian '64...has different design hood latch....just some trivia for ya.

Thanks very much for the info and pictures - that straightens out a lot of things for me. I have a couple of the Canadian/Aussie 65 VALIANT emblems as well as a 64 emblem that I'll be listing in the FOR SALE section as soon as I can get some pictures.

Thanks for the explanation on the '65s. I'm guessing buyers were confused in 65 too.

-
Back