Canadian '71 / '72 340 Swinger Specials

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
Not sure if this topic has been covered / discussed ; but , either way , I guess I'll revitilise it .

Are there any forum members whom have or have seen the 1971 and 1972 Swinger Specials 340 models ?

Believe it or not , I've actually seen 1 each of both years !
The first one I saw was back in 1996 , in a courthouse building's parking garage .
It was the 1972 model ; it was brown metallic with black interior .
The reason why the car stood out to me was :
- factory dual exhaust ( sans tips )
- hood scoops
I grabbed my flashlight and pointed it at the dash v.i.n. , and sure as sh*t :
LL23H2R !!

I left a note under the car's windshield wiper , but had never heard from the car's owner :sad8:.

The next -- and last one I saw in person -- was a 1971 model ( LL23H1R ) , driving-around the parking lot of a train depot .

I remember seeing a fairly clean , original looking '71 Swinger driving around ; and it sounded healthy ... like a stock , good running 340 should .
This car , too , had the turn-down , factory-issue dual exhaust .
I was able to catch-up to its owner when he was stopped in a parking spot .

Oddly , the car had original , blue w/yellow characters , 1975-issue California plates .
Story goes that the guy whom was driving it around is the original owner's son ( the guy was about 5 years older than me ) .
His dad bought the car new in Spring '71 ; it was a light green metallic with a darker green interior ; column shift T-Flite .

The family relocated to San Jose ( iirc) in '74 , where the car was mostly garaged ; they moved to southern California in '76 .

Naturally , the guy was very surprised that I knew what his car truly was .

So , there's my encounters with the Swinger Special 340's of Canada , as anomalous as they were :cheers: .

Yes, there is a thread on this although if I recall it is buried in a thread regarding hood scoops? I have seen a 72 as well, local, yellow, when I bought some parts years and years ago. Pretty neat, and I always wanted it. Nobody believed me when I told them lol..

Grant

..........There was a 71 years back here in Sask, not sure if its still kicking around or not, might just have 2 check it out..........kim.....

I have a restored 72 swinger 340. Cliff Guinand out of Calgary also has one.You can ask him or I any questions. We will answer as best we can as we along with Dale Ingram out of B.C. have been doing some research on these two. Kevin.

I have one too. A 1971, I have had it for over 18 years I am in the process of restoring it and will post some pics as well as question ( I need to find some stuff) soon in the resto section.

Garth

I hope you start a members restoration thread with pics,as these are rare cars.Good luck with the build.8)

I have one too. A 1971, I have had it for over 18 years I am in the process of restoring it and will post some pics as well as question ( I need to find some stuff) soon in the resto section.

Garth

I recently found out that mine is also one of these cars, a 72 from Pembina Dodge. Have chatted about them with Cliff and Kevin (scatpacker). I was curious if Garth (dartgarth) has progressed on his and if he has some updated pictures of your progress that would be great.

Dan

-
Back