Cannonball Run MOPAR STYLE!! (or at least to get one)

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So here is the scoop, me, my dad(George) and my uncle(Ron) are leaving Friday morning on a whirlwind 5100 km tour to pickup dads new wheels(pending inspection), but I cant see any hickups, at least I hope not, as my reputation with Dad is on the line here!! :blob:LOL. I will be taking the camera so hopefully get some nice pics. We are taking my 01 Ford F150 and have a car trailer that Mike (2darts) has graciously and generously donated for this tour! Kudos to Mike once again!!:prayer: We will be travelling thru Michigan, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado. :burnout:So the truck gets 20 mpg with no trailer and we leave Friday approx. noon. Whats everyones take on fuel costs and arrival time back home?? Wish us luck, Im kinda nervous, I took one day off of work(Tuesday) so I dont have to be in to work until Wed at 2 in the afternoon. Trucks gonna stink by the time we get back!!

Good luck on the run and I hope the weather holds out for you. Make sure you have a spare for the trailer.

Good luck Steve, should be a good time. Don't forget to get medical ins. Drive safe. Looking forward to some pictures of the adventure.

Good luck on the run and I hope the weather holds out for you. Make sure you have a spare for the trailer.

Yeah been wondering about the weather!!LOL Trailer has a spare, truck has new tires, oil change, tranny fluid and filter change, and one front wheel bearing... cross yer fingers

Good luck Steve, should be a good time. Don't forget to get medical ins. Drive safe. Looking forward to some pictures of the adventure.

Thanks Mike!! Dad and I both appreciate your generosity!! Thinking of rigging up my camera to take vids/pics while driving...Thanks to Lori I have med insurance

Yeah this isn't the optimal season for a road trip. Good luck

make sure you guys have passports if you dont already. i've heard about them giving people with just driver's license a hard time at the borders lately, in both directions.

dont forget the toolbox and a jack :D

Steve, what part of Colorado? Come on, what ya comin to get?

Steve do you have to trailer it as opposed to using a tow dolly. If it has a rear axle consider a dolly. We've done it several times over multi state trips. You'll use a lot less gas and much eaiser to get around. Just put a towing light kit on the trunk and a spare or two for the towed car. Dan

I-70 in colorado can be a nightmare this time of year. it gets nasty when it snows, i dont know if this stretch of highway is in your route, but i would check the weather when you get close. sometimes they impliment chain restrictions when it gets bad. just a heads up. be safe out there

Keep and ear or eye on national weather reports. Our winter storms this year have been coming across from Washington/Oregon and southern California. The Low pressure systems tend to dip southward in the middle of the country before moving northeast in the eastern third. Bad weather can come on fast in the central plains states.

I like looking at NWS surface charts (for wind direction and speed and air temperatures), jet stream (the steering currents), and radar summary (for precipitation). Beware high winds coming off the Gulf with a low pressure system in the center of the country.

Happy trails.

Don't be surprised if the mileage is half while pulling the car. Be safe.....

make sure you guys have passports if you dont already. i've heard about them giving people with just driver's license a hard time at the borders lately, in both directions.

dont forget the toolbox and a jack :D
We recently crossed into Canada with an Enhanced liscense with no troubles....

Have a safe trip, I would carry chains, blankets and enjoy the trip. To bad I'm not gonna be out that way for at least another month. Have fun guys, take lots of pics and be safe.

And you are going to leave us hanging with just "Mopar"? We need more information than that Steve, come on...LOL

Bill S.

I-70 in colorado can be a nightmare this time of year. it gets nasty when it snows, i dont know if this stretch of highway is in your route, but i would check the weather when you get close. sometimes they impliment chain restrictions when it gets bad. just a heads up. be safe out there

Since Kansas wasn't in his list of states I would assume he's going to run across Nebraska and then south into Colorado. One thing I do know is that Colorado state law requires trailers to have brakes on both axles. I know when I bought my car trailer it came standard with single axle brakes and I paid extra for double axle brakes just for a safety measure. I know they are very strict out there, and I don't know how much a 1/2 ton towing a car on a trailer is going to throw up a flag for them to stop you. As far as mileage, I wouldn't plan on averaging over about 10-12 for the round trip. I know I never did when I pulled with a gasser. Good luck, and be safe.

Have a safe trip Steve and bring some air freshener!:thumrigh:
Oh,don,t forget the 3 days/72hr in advance when bringing a car across.

Steve, what part of Colorado? Come on, what ya comin to get?

We are going to Aurora Colorado. Sorry cant say anymore than that:-\" All I can say is it is a Mopar! Jaws we may be able to do a meet n greet...a mopar "quickie" looks like you are pretty close!
Pm me your contact info. Thanks everyone, now I am even more nervous with this weather stuff! Looks like we will have to add chains to the list.

STeve

We are going to Aurora Colorado. Sorry cant say anymore than that:-\" All I can say is it is a Mopar! Jaws we may be able to do a meet n greet...a mopar "quickie" looks like you are pretty close!
Pm me your contact info. Thanks everyone, now I am even more nervous with this weather stuff! Looks like we will have to add chains to the list.

STeve
if you are coming in from the north or the east of aurora, you shouldnt have any issues. im about 45 minutes south of aurora and the snow has been melting off quickly. happy hunting !

STeve

Can't tell us what you are hauling? What's the big secret? You are not hauling nuclear weapons so telling us what you are hauling would give us a better idea on an answer on fuel consumption

-
Back