Can't fill my A-Body gas tanks

-

jagsdtc

jagsdtc
Reaction score
Looking for some help on how to fill my gas tank without the splash back. I have 2 a bodies and both do not let me fill at the pump. They splash back as if there is a vapor lock or something causing the fuel to not go into the tank. Even by trickling the gas in I get the same result. I thought the vent tube was a way of allowing air to escape the tank as gas goes in but I found on both cars, it doesn't even go into the tank. It terminates just at the tank under the car.

Any suggestions/ solutions?

Thanks!

The vent is at a high point (near top of fuel fill tube) and exits Under car near fuel tank... not into fuel tank... Here is a pic of a A body (63-66) fuel fill tube... note the nipple for the vent line!

Clif of Az. :coffee2:

Attachments

• Tank_vent.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 452
........................The vent IS NOT the problem with filling a tank. In fact that little 1/4" vent could NEVER carry the volume of air that needs to come back out of the tank as it's filled.

Try turning the nozzle 90 degrees and see if it works. Fixed the problem on my 66. I do it with my Valiant now. Works great!

jag, do the the pumps in Atlanta now have the bellows seal like in CA? If so, it probably has to do with not having the small "unleaded" fill restrictor hole that began ~1977. You might try pulling the bellows back by hand to let the air out. That is what I do to fill a gas can since the nozzle won't even actuate until the bellows is back.

My son called that he was getting fuel splashing out when filling my 1984 M-B diesel. The diesel nozzles are small and don't have a bellows, so not sure what the problem was other than the flow was so high it filled the car's down-tube so air had to glug out. Anyway, not pulling the nozzle handle all the way fixed his problem.

I think the problem is due to the shallow angle of the filler tube doesn't let the gas flow through it as fast as the gas pump can pump it and it backs up and trips the shut-off in the pump....

That's why I'm trying to build a 20 MPG 360 for my 66 Wagon, to reduce how often that I have to fill it....

I think the problem is due to the shallow angle of the filler tube doesn't let the gas flow through it as fast as the gas pump can pump it and it backs up and trips the shut-off in the pump....

That's why I'm trying to build a 20 MPG 360 for my 66 Wagon, to reduce how often that I have to fill it....
I got 22 HWY mpg in my sport fury, 426 wedge. BUT speed limit at the time was 55 mph. and 2:76 gears. You will get your 20 mpg. :burnout:MT

Hey Lee,
do you mean holding the nozzle upside down?

Not upside down, at 90*.

The best way I have found is to LISTEN, when filling up you can hear as it's coming up the pipe the tone will change, think filling a glass with water at the tap, the tone changes as the glass gets fuller.

Not upside down, at 90*.

The best way I have found is to LISTEN, when filling up you can hear as it's coming up the pipe the tone will change, think filling a glass with water at the tap, the tone changes as the glass gets fuller.

oh yeah, duh. I have not had my fill of coffee yet. lol. 90 degrees. got it; i'm going to try that.
thanks

The best way is to listen, you can hear it coming up the tube.

Modern pumps, pump with a bit more pressure and speed, allowing it to splash out before it knows to shut off.

oh yeah, duh. I have not had my fill of coffee yet. lol. 90 degrees. got it; i'm going to try that.
thanks

Danny,

Yeah, 90 degrees. I put the nozzle in, turn it so the hose end of the nozzle points toward the bumper and push the nozzle in so the bellows is tight (you have those in your neck of the woods, right?). Then Pull the handle slowly and try to meter the flow so it goes slow. Don't try to lock it in place, just keep your hand on it. I use two hands, one to push the nozzle into the filler neck and the other to meter the flow.

Lee

I've had good success by inverting the nozzle 180 degrees so the feed hose end in pointing skyward. This also is nice as I don't have to stoop over nearly as far to hold the handle. In addition I fill at the lowest rate that the pump nozzle allows me to set. Both have worked well in avoiding the splash back whether I'm in Ca where they have the vapor recovery bellows or in rural parts of AZ or NM where they don't. This filling behavior applies to the '60-'66 cars I drive as the later car in the avatar pic doesn't seem to be nearly as sensitive to filling issues. But I'm human and get in a hurry now and again so I've also learned to stand at a certain spot so if I get a blow back I don't get in my shoe !!!!

I too had to go 180* to get fuel in my 63 Valiant.

I do the 180 too, I had to do that in my 57 ford with its behind the plate gas filler too, damn CA foreskin nozzles!

-
Back