Can't get the $&@# harmonic balancer back on!

-

cam.man67

Reaction score
Title says it all. :protest: replaced the timing chain yesterday evening, no problem. Got the cover on this morning, no problem. CAN'T get the stupid harmonic balancer on to save my life...I've spent the past 3.5 hours doing so. Started with a small hammer and a block of wood, no dice. It's not far enough in to start the bolt, but I had a longer bolt, and even though it starts, it won't pull it in at all. It doesn't look like its started in the cover yet.

Help!!!

Two things. Make sure that the crankshaft keyway is installed properly and not crooked, as in front to low or rear too low. Secondly, I always clean the mating surfaces of the balancer and crank. Then use anti seize compound to ease the installation.

What mitch said. Clean it, lube it.

You may also want to check for any burrs or foreign material that may hang it up, but that should be taken care of with the "clean it' comment if done properly.

If not, can you measure the id of the damper and od of the crank to see if they are the proper size...

In addition to what they both said, do yourself a favor and head down to your local auto parts store and ask them to rent you a Harmonic balancer installer.

It will come with a long threaded shaft to thread into the crank and also a bearing so it will pull in tight.

It's probably the key moved in the keyway. If you have to fish it out and reinstall, file a slight ramp on the 3 front edges that contact the balancer.

In addition to what they both said, do yourself a favor and head down to your local auto parts store and ask them to rent you a Harmonic balancer installer.

It will come with a long threaded shaft to thread into the crank and also a bearing so it will pull in tight.

X2 !

Hammering it or trying to use the center bolt to pull it on is just going to cause more problems. Of course, as everyone else is saying check the key and proper orientation. Another thing that sometimes helps is to heat it up in an oven to around 300°F.

DON"T hammer it....you can damage the thrust bearing in the engine. If the longer bolt won't pull it in, the key jammed it the only issue it can be, unless the damper got cocked somehow (which would be hard to do.....)

Doo you have a service manual? I am guessing not, because nowhere will it say to use a hammer.

Right tool for the job, or don't do it at all.

in addition to what they both said, do yourself a favor and head down to your local auto parts store and ask them to rent you a harmonic balancer installer.

x4

I have always boiled mine in a pot on the stove :) works every time....don't forget the garlic and salt!

As with most things in life, there is no such thing as too much lube. And check that keyway, make sure it's lined up to go right in the hole.

I have always boiled mine in a pot on the stove :) works every time....don't forget the garlic and salt!

The old GM 2.5 motors had direct gears with no chain. They were a bear to get on. We always heated the gear in boiling water and cooled the cam and crank by blowing air from an air gun onto them. They'd slide right on, and after the temperatures moderated, were on tight as could be.

Huh..the heating method sure intrigues me! But yes, the install kit from Pep Boys did teh trick. Thanks!

Whatever you do don't force it. Pressed parts require very particular tools and operations. Example: I have one stuck on my 2.4L Mopar engine. I tried pulling it w/ a 3-leg puller, but apparently swaged the crank hole outward into the balancer by using the cone tip. I then got the correct puller (just for that engine) at Autozone, but broke off one of the pulling tabs on the balancer. I ended up having to work the timing belt off around it (and ever since). I couldn't even get it back into position all the way so it likes to shred the edge of a new serpentine belt (then it is happy). I did try heat.

-
Back