Captainkirk's Duster project

-
Good one Cap'n . . ."watching the caulk dry . . . " lol, You are coming long fine.

Thanks for the props. I'm trying to make up for lost time, but thirty years is a long time to make up.:-?
Still, all in all, I'd say I've gotten more accomplished since August than in the last 5 years. Not bad if I can stay on track.:burnout:

Thanks for the props. I'm trying to make up for lost time, but thirty years is a long time to make up.:-?
Still, all in all, I'd say I've gotten more accomplished since August than in the last 5 years. Not bad if I can stay on track.:burnout:
:coffee2: I hear ya about the lost time . . . but the one thing you did right was hold on to the car :thumbrig: . . . . Rog

We interrupt this program.....for this important message (and to blow my own horn, so to speak)

For those of you in the past who have asked, my book is finally available in both print and Kindle/Nook forms.
Printed versions available through Road Dog Publications:

http://www.roaddogpub.com/catalog/2

and electronic versions available at Amazon.com

[ame="[URL]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKYXE9A/?tag=fabo03-20[/URL]"]Amazon.com: A Tale of Two Dusters and Other Stories eBook: Kirk Swanick, Michael Fitterling: Books[/ame]

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.........:D

Last edited:
.....for this important message (and to blow my own horn, so to speak)

For those of you in the past who have asked, my book is finally available in both print and Kindle/Nook forms.
Printed versions available through Road Dog Publications:

http://www.roaddogpub.com/catalog/2

and electronic versions available at Amazon.com

Amazon.com: A Tale of Two Dusters and Other Stories eBook: Kirk Swanick, Michael Fitterling: Books

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.........:D
Consider one sale right here!!:cheers:

......on the underside tonight. Yep; that's right. I said FIRST coat. Not that I'm enjoying this, but rather, I'm not getting complete coverage. Also, like Sir Isaac Newton, I've discovered gravity. Yup, paint rolls downhill (as do other substances) and you wind up with more paint on your hands than on the car. Plus, it really looks like ****.:D You see, in my infinite wisdom, I decided gray Rust-Oleum over the black Rust Reformer would show every single spot and streak that I missed. Yep, I was right.:sign3:
Plus, it was colder than a witches tit out there tonight laying inches above (and at times, ON) the concrete. After four hours of that crap I realized I must be insane and called it a night. But, the underside wears a thin-but-very visible coat of oil-based paint tonight. And I still have a half-quart left!:D
There's always tomorrow, kids......

So, last night took a bit more out of me than I thought! It's cold, damp and raining out in Mopar Mecca tonight, and I ain't no spring chicken, so I gave myself a free night off....I earned my stripes out there in the trenches last night, thank you. One thing I can tell you with authority; that Rust-Oleum oil-based paint is tough stuff! I still have spatters all over my face, hair and hands that is like liquid concrete 24 hours....and two showers later....and I still can't scrape it off with a fingernail! I look like I'm molting or sump'n....
Let's hope it gets as tenacious a hold on the bottom of The Duke.
I'm actually feeling guilty taking a night off.....which is the way I want it to be. It's too easy to get in the habit of finding an excuse not to go out and get filthy and hot/cold, etc. And as I've mentioned, well...more than once...I'm running out of time, if I ever wanna drive it before assisted living becomes a viable option. So, a night or two off to let the paint set up and recharge the ol' batteries, and I'll be hard back at it again next week.
Thanks for sticking with me.

:coffee2: Breaks are allowed . . . . but you are right. Sometimes we get away from it and it's hard to get back. :banghead: But you can't approach it as it's work . . . enjoy! Rog

Ever see those cartoons in the funny papers of the long-haired, bearded hippy in a robe and sandals with the sign saying "THE END IS NEAR!"? (If not, you probably didn't grow up in the '70s, but I digress.....) I feel like that guy. Not in a 'the end of my PROJECT is near' sort of way. More like a 'the end of my ability to WORK on my project is near' type deal. I got home late tonight, took the dog for her usual walk, and HOLY CROW! A few measly blocks and I was thinking gloves and a hat woulda been a Really Good Idea. No way I can paint in these temps. I'll hope like crazy we get another shot of Indian Summer; enough to finish up the bottom and trunk, but I'm not holding my breath. Ol' Man Winter is getting close now; real close. But then, so am I!:D

Captain, you would be surprised how far a solid 20 amp circuit and a small electric heater will take you when trying to warm up that garage....
I use this 2 kw heater on one circuit and 6-300 watt clear bulbs in clip on fixtures on another focused on the work.
This method keeps my non heated 2 car garage in suburbia at 60 even on a cold winters day......
Don't ask about my electric bill.......Anything for the cause!!!!

Cap,
I know exactly what you are saying. I think I'm ready to hold up a sign saying "The end is HERE" I sprayed another quick coat of Rustoleum on my floorpans early yesterday while the sun was out. Had a litttle rust jumping in where I scratched them while working on it. But, yes - it looks like the warm days are over here in PA. Just checked extended forcast and we will be dropping below freezing by Thurs night. Time to box up paints, caulks etc and put them in the basement.

We'll see. Last night bummed me out and all. I checked in the garage tonight just to see how cold 'cold' was....and it didn't seem that bad. I caught another mouse in the trap, so that made me happy (that makes three of the furry little bastiges now). Since I was already out there....
Now, Rust-Oleum says they don't recommend using it (Rust-Oleum) below 50 degrees F...and it damn sure wasn't 50. I popped under to touch up a few spots I missed (what could that hurt?) and wound up doing a second coat on half the underside. I guess we'll see if I did a boo-boo or not, huh?:sign3: Sure looks a lot better....:D

Yup; it's OK to use brush-on Rust-Oleum in a garage in these sorta temps!
Trucked on out to check on the progress of the paint. Not only was it not tacky, it had dried to a rock-hard finish. And since the quart was almost empty, I quickly ran up to Ace and snagged another. Figured I'd touch up a few spots and once again ended up doing the other half of the second coat Down Under! At this point, I decided to follow the frame rails all the way up to the very front. They are frame rails, after all. Besides, you can't see them with the engine & headers installed, and they should take paint over them the same as the Rust Reformer would. So, I ended up doing even more than I expected to. Now the entire underside is a solid coat of gleaming Smoke Gray oil based paint. All this leaves is the trunk area and frame rails inside the forward fender wells. So....once that gets done, I will feel quite comfortable letting it sit over winter without undercoating; the oil-based Rust-Oleum should seal it well enough until spring. And that would mean a successful completion of Phase One!:blob:

:coffee2: Congrats on phase one. It's great to see the progress after all the butt kicking work. What has your Son accomplished on his so far?? :D Rog

Or a kerosene heater they work good maybe a lil to good cause I remember the one time my brother left it on and it made that shop holly **** hot in no time flat

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

You really need to invest in one of these so you can work all year $109.00 hook the bottle from your gas grill up.
As soon as I eat dinner I am heading out to the garage, it will heat the garage from 30 deg to 80 deg in about 10 minuates.
Nothing like working in a tee shirt when it is cold out side.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_331320-51644-F228160_0__?productId=3818151&Ntt=mr+heater+propane+heater&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dmr%2Bheater%2Bpropane%2Bheater&facetInfo=

So how long does a 20-pounder last?

Oh boy . . . . reality check . . . . :wack:

Yeah...but he's taking it well. Looks like he'll be replacing some sheet metal behind the rear wheels and possibly in front of the right one. (I pointed out to him the lines were all wrong, so something's going on there).
Still, he's way ahead of me in terms of work required regardless of what he needs to do.

I've been reading a lot of these resto threads lately...a LOT. And I've subscribed to quite a few that have captured my interest. Some of you guys have skills....MAD skills! Way beyond my meager abilities. Some of you have interesting histories behind the cars themselves. Some of you have spent a King's Ransom building the car of your dreams (and most of ours, as well) Some of you have built cars that dip into or below sub-10 second brackets. Some of you have final paint and detail work that border on fine art and cost as much.
So what is it that makes my build....ummm..."worthy"?
Well, if I may-
1) If you've read the early ramblings you might find I've pretty much laid it all out here...from Day One. Not only the history of two cars, but the history of The Captain as well. You don't find that in a CrackerJack box.
2) I'm quite sure this has to be one of the longest builds on the block. Not that this is a good thing, but interesting, just the same.
3) Not being a whiner or bitcher/complainer here, but seriously....the last couple years personally have been a drop-kick in the nuts with steel-toed boots mentally, physically and financially. If there was ever a time NOT to start a restoration, this would be it, brother. And so, I find it completely amazing when I go stare at The Duke and see the progress I've made over the past month or so at a time when I should have been tying the tarp down ever-tighter, or putting it up for sale. Instead, I've managed to forge ahead despite being over-worked, over-stressed and flat-friggin' broke. I must confess part of the tenacity is due to the "cold, dead hands" philosophy, and part of it is that losing myself in the labors of The Duke is mental therapy. Even if it means spending the last few bucks in my pocket on a can of spray paint (yes, I've done that several times) or working in the cold or sweltering heat much, much later than someone who has to get up in the morning and go to work has any business doing, often to the point of exhaustion. Not looking for sympathy or props here, by the way...just telling it like it is. In the end, this is how it is; if The Duke ever does get finished, it will be my personal Mt. Everest conquered, even if it doesn't appear to be more than a small hill for some of you. And this, my friends, is why reading some of your resto threads have been so inspirational. Because underneath it all, if you read between the lines, we all have our own dragons to slay to complete our projects whether spoken or unspoken. In all honesty, this is The Project That Should Not Be, but then....."damn the torpedoes....full speed ahead".

-
Back