Car bogs down like its out of gas

-

duey_roc

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having another issue i noticed a few nights ago...

I just bought a new Holley 600 dual feed carburetor. It was running great when i first put it on. The other night, I got on the freeway and the car started bogging down once i hit like 45mph. I pulled over thinking i was out of gas, and my fuel tank was still full. Got in my car, and started my car with no problems.

I've been having the same issue for the past 3 days. It got much worse today on my way to work. It died numerous times after dying t 45mph. I couldn't keep it running enough to even stay running at 25mph! :mumum: I checked to make sure the choke was staying open when warm, I checked my ballast resistor wire to make sure it wasn't rattling off the post, (it was kind of loose so i put a new end on it) Does anyone know whats going on?

Does your fuel pump "have enough ***" to keep up with a dual feed?

When it bogs down, do you smell gas?

Does your fuel pump "have enough ***" to keep up with a dual feed?
I was just about to post also... The car came with one of those mr. gasket electronic fuel pumps that you can buy at the auto parts store. It also has a 16 gallon fuel cell and a straight fuel line going to the carburetor.

When it bogs down, do you smell gas?
No i dont really smell gas when it starts to bog down.

Have you checked the fuel filter?
Yes i have a clear fuel filter on my inner fender and it was clean. I did notice that it was only about half full the other day when i pulled into the driveway. Fuel pump not pumping enough for a dual feed? It's at about 6psi...

Thanks for the response guys. :coffee2:

oh one more thing. I have one of those mr gasket fuel pumps that you can buy at any auto parts store and a 16 gallon fuel cell in the trunk. Sorry i thought i posted that.

Could your fuel pump be going in and out intermittantly? sometimes electronic fuel pumps can be funny....

Is it possible to check the pressure just after it stalls out on you?

First,, inspect all the hoses front to back for cracks that may suck air, or loose connections, that also suck air..

Second, change the fuel filter for a new one,, you can put that other filter back on if you must.

Third, did you set the floats on the carb and adjust it since install..

Whats your timing at ?

hope it helps

Could your fuel pump be going in and out intermittantly? sometimes electronic fuel pumps can be funny....

Is it possible to check the pressure just after it stalls out on you?

I have an extra fuel pressure gauge. I just need to figure out how to install it to where i can see the pressure while driving. I think that would help a lot. I've heard these Mr. Gasket electronic fuel pumps can be iffy.... But i dont want to rule that out just yet.

First,, inspect all the hoses front to back for cracks that may suck air, or loose connections, that also suck air..

Second, change the fuel filter for a new one,, you can put that other filter back on if you must.

Third, did you set the floats on the carb and adjust it since install..

Whats your timing at ?

hope it helps

Are we talking about vacuum hoses or fuel lines? It has one fuel line straight from the tank to the carburetor with a filter and fuel pump in line. I did not mess with the floats in the holley. I checked the little window they give you on the bowls and the fuel was right about center of the window while idling. And my timing is at about 8 degrees before TDC.

Make sure that you don't have another fuel filter in the line somewhere.
It sure sounds like a low flow problem.

I was refering to any hose or connection on the suction side of the fuel pump..
Oh I see. No there is no filter between the fuel cell and the fuel pump. The only one I have is between the fuel pump and the carburetor.

Make sure that you don't have another fuel filter in the line somewhere.
It sure sounds like a low flow problem.
If it's a flow problem, could the carburetor floats not be set right? or the pump not pump enough volume? It ran normal for a day. Freeway and all. Then just all of a sudden this started happening.

Oh I see. No there is no filter between the fuel cell and the fuel pump. The only one I have is between the fuel pump and the carburetor.

If it's a flow problem, could the carburetor floats not be set right? or the pump not pump enough volume? It ran normal for a day. Freeway and all. Then just all of a sudden this started happening.

Could be any of those, but I would put the floats at the bottom of the list since it ran good for a day.

Could be sucking air instead of fuel at a fitting or clamp too.

Does it pull hard, then fall flat on it's face ?

If you don't have another fuel filter to try,, Take the fuel filter off, and blow thru it...

This is so simple and obvious, but I'll bet I'm not the last one that had this happen to them. Back in the day with my 71 340 Duster, I had the same problem. Looked everywhere, but no matter what I did, still had the same issue. While in the carport cursing, my wife asked what was going on, and why I was so mad. I told what the issue was and she calmly asked "did you check the air filter?". I thought, come-on that can't be the problem, what does she know anyway, but to keep peace and quiet in the family, I did.
New air filter solved the issue

Isnt there a filter going into the carb where your fuel line goes? All mine have them there.
Its jusst a screan filter doesnt take much to clog.

Is your fuel cell vented,, next time it bogs,, listen for sucking sound while you take off the fuel cap.. juist a thought..

Does it pull hard, then fall flat on it's face ?

If you don't have another fuel filter to try,, Take the fuel filter off, and blow thru it...

I'll try taking the filter off. And yes, it pulls very hard then instantly acts like there's no gas lol.

New air filter solved the issue
I'll try this as well since i have an extra filter. It is brand new and I would think if the filter was bad, it wouldn't want to run at all or even start. It still runs under about 35mph.

Isnt there a filter going into the carb where your fuel line goes? All mine have them there.
Its jusst a screan filter doesnt take much to clog.
That could be the issue. I'll have to pull the line off the dual feed and see how those filters look. Again, it runs ok and normal at low low speeds.

Is your fuel cell vented,, next time it bogs,, listen for sucking sound while you take off the fuel cap.. juist a thought..

I did notice that as well. The gas cap can be very hard to twist off when its close to empty. It does have a vent though i know.

So i did an experiment on my way home from work. I drove super gently home and i gunned it full throttle on my street. As soon as the car died i shut everything off and pulled over. The front carburetor bowl was empty and the see through filter was a little under half full. I turned on the pump and fuel barely trickled into the filter. So this leads me to think think the pump is going out or something is clogging the outlet on the fuel cell.

My fuel cell has the foam inside of it. Im wondering if some got lodged into the fuel outlet.

Are you using a vented gas cap?

oh s**T you left the foam in it! Pump junk eats that foam like there is no tomorrow... pull all the foam out, drain and wash/dry the tank, blow out the lines, replace filter and pump and try again. this is why you always put a filter before the pump

Are you using a vented gas cap?
No its not a vented gas cap. I'm using the cap that came with the fuel cell. The tank has a vent in it though.

oh s**T you left the foam in it! Pump junk eats that foam like there is no tomorrow... pull all the foam out, drain and wash/dry the tank, blow out the lines, replace filter and pump and try again. this is why you always put a filter before the pump

Wow really?? I thought you were supposed to leave the foam in?? I was told that it helps prevent sloshing of the gas while driving....:eek:ops:

Oh one more thing that I thought about. I installed my stereo because hearing the rattling was killing me haha. I have a toggle switch for the fuel pump and one side of the toggle has a constant 12 volts and I added my stereo into the constant 12 volt side. Would this be reducing the voltage enough that the pump isn't pushing enough fuel pressure? Just going through everything that's a possibility. I don't think this is it but not sure

I got one fuel cell that has had the same foam in it for over 20 yrs...yes..the foam is to keep the gas from sloshing...

Just get another amp and turn it up more.

-
Back