Car Buyer Scam

-

blewbyoutobad

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey FABO.
I need your opinion on someone answering my ad. I have my 70 Dart Swinger project car for sale here as well as Moparts. I listed my email address on the Moparts site and receive the following emails yesterday. To me I smell a scam somewhere in this. Anyone else seen this type of response before? The person never called me to talk about the car or ask if it had a clean title after I provided a phone #. No VIN questions either. The pieces add up to something funny to me.

Thanks all

First email:

Good day,
Am interested in your 1970 Dodge Dart . I want to know if it's still available? Do get back to me with details, condition and least price with any available picture. As for the payment do you accept Cashier Check? I'll make arrangement for the pickup at your location after payment.

Best Regard,

Second email:

Get back to me with your final asking price to proceed

Third email:

Thanks for your response, Am interested in the 1970 Dodge Dart with the rechromed bumpers and am okay with the price for $3500.

I have a reliable agent who do pick up for me, i will let you know when he will be coming to your place for the pick up of the 1970 Dodge Dart with the rechromed bumpers after payment, you can get back to me with your full name and contact address to mail the payment to you.

I will mail you a cashier check for the payment.

Regards,

Hey FABO.
I need your opinion on someone answering my ad. I have my 70 Dart Swinger project car for sale here as well as Moparts. I listed my email address on the Moparts site and receive the following emails yesterday. To me I smell a scam somewhere in this. Anyone else seen this type of response before? The person never called me to talk about the car or ask if it had a clean title after I provided a phone #. No VIN questions either. The pieces add up to something funny to me.

Thanks all

First email:

Good day,
Am interested in your 1970 Dodge Dart . I want to know if it's still available? Do get back to me with details, condition and least price with any available picture. As for the payment do you accept Cashier Check? I'll make arrangement for the pickup at your location after payment.

Best Regard,

Second email:

Third email:

Thanks for your response, Am interested in the 1970 Dodge Dart with the rechromed bumpers and am okay with the price for $3500.

I have a reliable agent who do pick up for me, i will let you know when he will be coming to your place for the pick up of the 1970 Dodge Dart with the rechromed bumpers after payment, you can get back to me with your full name and contact address to mail the payment to you.

Regards,

Scam. The next step will be him wanting to send you an over payment and you to forward the difference to his shipper via Western Union or something along this line. The cashier's check will be fake and you will loose the money you send to where ever he has you send it.

Post the email address this is coming from and let us do a bit of research on it.

"Gut feelings" are usually reliable.

Anytime I buy anything over the net, I try to get as much info as possible, as well as more pics if needed. I try to answer as many possible questions as I can in my own ads. Anybody so anxious as to want to but something without more info, especially something as expensive and potentially problematic as a car is either nieve or up to something.

Foreign purchasers can sometimes be legit but sound "funny" because of language and cultural differences. But those are rare.

This is a scam , do not even accept wire transfer. You will be screwed.
Wire tranfers can be cancelled by sender or bounce or made with stolen
credit cards and then the bank comes after you for the money and the
car will be gone forever. Cheers.

as long as you keep the car until payment is cleared by your bank i can't see a problem as a overseas buyer i find it hard when just because you are from another country people thing its a scam

Sounds like a scam. To confirm your suspicions send a reply telling the buyer that the price was a typo and it should be 13,500 not 3,500. My bet is that the "deal" will still be on and they'll ask you to proceed completing the transaction.

I get those messages all the time when I post on craigs list, and everything is exact word for word to yours except for the first sentence of course.

do not accept wire transfer unless it's cash from Western Union then give him a password and fake name so there is no coming back to you , a bank transfer gives him all the info he is looking for to clean you out .

as long as you keep the car until payment is cleared by your bank i can't see a problem as a overseas buyer i find it hard when just because you are from another country people thing its a scam[/QUOTE

of course its a scam but

CAREFUL ..any check has to clear not only your bank it has to clear the institution it was drawn on ...maybe 10 days

Wire transfer is the safest way. There are incoming and out going routing numbers so it would be really hard for them to "Clean you out" per say. The only way for them to attempt taking any of your funds with your account number is to re create checks. Your account is insured against fraud, "Fake Checks", if that happened and your bank cashed any phony checks they would reimburse those funds they paid out on the fraud when they realize the signatures on those checks are not yours.

Other people will be interested in your car. I say don't take the risk and eventually a buyer will walk up to you with cash in hand.

I got the same reply almost word for word on a '74 VW Bug I was selling on Craigslist. I think it's a scam. Tell him "cash only" and you won't hear from him again. Also I've heard of fake cashiers checks that your bank will cash and then ask for the money back after they don't clear.

i would buy or sell a vehicle without stone cold greenbacks in my hand. i dont care how far away they are. you want the car , come and and get it , with cash in hand. if you dont have it, i will find someone who does...

Hey FABO.

Thanks all

First email:

Good day,

Best Regard,

Second email:

Third email:

Regards,

Scam....

-
Back