Car Lift Questions

-
What Ive seen , Rotary looks like the best , then Bend-Pak, Greg Smith Equipment has some decent stuff,
Dont go cheap , after all , your working under your car !!
My brother has a lift by Stinger , its not 1/2 as nice as my Bend-Pak
Donnie

I went back and forth on whether to get a 2 post or 4 post for a couple of years. I finally decided on the 4 post for the following reasons;

1. The 4 post came with wheels so it can be moved. I can side it over and get another car in the garage and then move it back into position.
2. The 4 post takes up less width in the garage. The 2 post units I looked at were about two feet wider than the 4 post I purchased. This extra width with the permanent mounting would definately turn my garage into a one car garage. With the 4 post I have the ability to keep 3 cars inside.
3. The basic lift came with a jack tray that you can put a jack into to lift a wheel off the ground. I also got the optional sliding hydraulic scissor jack that fits between the rails. It has adjustable arms so you can lift either the front or rear of the car off the rails. With this set-up I have not run into a situation where the 2 poster would have allowed me to do something that I can't with the 4 poster.

The only thing I regret is not going for the 220 volt motor. The extra power allows the use of a higher volume pump which increases the speed that the lift will rise. Not a biggy but I have 220 volt power in the garage and the cost difference was minimal.

The ideal situation is to have one of each but what ever you decide you will be thinking how did I live without it before.

Don't know about brands mine is a ClassicLift Home Storage/Service lift from the local professional lift company. They did not try to push me towards a more expensive lift (They sell BendPak and Forward Lift too). I looked at a lot of differnent ones, they for the most part are the same lift with a different paint job. The one feature that is different than most is the safety locks. Where many it's a knotch or a weld block on the post the Classic has a captive plate that is hung from the top of the post. It allows you to adjust the position of the locks so the rails sit level if the floor the posts are on isn't.

I would recomend getting the lift from a local business. They will have the parts handy to service it and the expertise to set it up. It may cost a little more than the mail order houses but you save the difference on shipping. I saved a couple of hundred on set-up by buying the one on display at a car show and he threw in a set of drip trays and the slidoing jaclk at cost. They just loaded it up and brought it to my house after the show was over.

The only complaint I have with mine is the paint on the rails is not very durable. After a couple of months of use it started flaking off. A couple of coats of POR15 has solved that issue though.

I went back and forth on whether to get a 2 post or 4 post for a couple of years. I finally decided on the 4 post for the following reasons;

1. The 4 post came with wheels so it can be moved. I can side it over and get another car in the garage and then move it back into position.
2. The 4 post takes up less width in the garage. The 2 post units I looked at were about two feet wider than the 4 post I purchased. This extra width with the permanent mounting would definately turn my garage into a one car garage. With the 4 post I have the ability to keep 3 cars inside.
3. The basic lift came with a jack tray that you can put a jack into to lift a wheel off the ground. I also got the optional sliding hydraulic scissor jack that fits between the rails. It has adjustable arms so you can lift either the front or rear of the car off the rails. With this set-up I have not run into a situation where the 2 poster would have allowed me to do something that I can't with the 4 poster.

The only thing I regret is not going for the 220 volt motor. The extra power allows the use of a higher volume pump which increases the speed that the lift will rise. Not a biggy but I have 220 volt power in the garage and the cost difference was minimal.

The ideal situation is to have one of each but what ever you decide you will be thinking how did I live without it before.

Don't know about brands mine is a ClassicLift Home Storage/Service lift from the local professional lift company. They did not try to push me towards a more expensive lift (They sell BendPak and Forward Lift too). I looked at a lot of differnent ones, they for the most part are the same lift with a different paint job. The one feature that is different than most is the safety locks. Where many it's a knotch or a weld block on the post the Classic has a captive plate that is hung from the top of the post. It allows you to adjust the position of the locks so the rails sit level if the floor the posts are on isn't.

I would recomend getting the lift from a local business. They will have the parts handy to service it and the expertise to set it up. It may cost a little more than the mail order houses but you save the difference on shipping. I saved a couple of hundred on set-up by buying the one on display at a car show and he threw in a set of drip trays and the slidoing jaclk at cost. They just loaded it up and brought it to my house after the show was over.

The only complaint I have with mine is the paint on the rails is not very durable. After a couple of months of use it started flaking off. A couple of coats of POR15 has solved that issue though.

Thank You For All This Good Information!

KP

-
Back