Car lift

-

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on a decent 2 post lift.

Searching Craigslist for a good used one and although Ive used them in shops for years I have never paid attention to types/brands.

Thanks

I put a 10,000 lb Challenger Asymmetric lift in my shop ,when I built it 15 yrs ago. Got a great deal on it because I helped the guy install it. Use it almost every day. Never a problem.

Attachments

• 119-1953_IMG.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 508
I have a Forward 10,000lb that I am very happy with. My next door neighbor just bought a 10,000lb lift from Greg Smith in GA. I am not sure of brand but it was less money then mine. Be careful as your life depends on it buy name brand and not cheapest you can find.

My POS, cheap, used, beat up Challenger hoist, for which I built a frame and erected "out back" was the best money I ever spent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

id9n5w.jpg

Any opinions on this one? Its a Benpack MX10ACX and these are the only pictures I can get the guy to send.

Pros:Guy claims it has no issues, says that he is just closing shop, online from what I can find it appears to be liked and the price is 750 dollars

Cons: Its about 3.5 hrs away, guy talks like a gangsta.

Id hate to pass up a good deal, more pictures arent going to happen, I can tell that he is just stupid enough to tell someone to go F themselves if they dont act exactly as he feels everyone around him should act.

From what I read on-line it seems to be a very good lift, older yes but still American made and the reality is that most of the time the older stuff is higher quality anyway.

Looks like it sitting outside but doesnt look like its been out there terribly long and I know alot of lifts are permanently outside anyway.

Attachments

• car lift.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 402
  • 00z0z_bGoTSLyVEVe_600x450.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 379
If it isn't wore out, it is a great deal. It is an asymmetric and the American made Bendpac is a good lift. If he is a gangsta you better take plenty of help and keep you a$$ covered.

That lift isn't in Gainesville is it? Place looks familiar.

If it isn't wore out, it is a great deal. It is an asymmetric and the American made Bendpac is a good lift. If he is a gangsta you better take plenty of help and keep you a$$ covered.
I did talk to the guy twice more this evening and I was shocked ( :wink: ) to notice that once away from his homeboys he was a pretty decent sounding guy. Im going after it in the morning assuming it lifts as he says it does.

Long day, long drive. Left the house about 4.30 this morning, got their at about 20 till 9, he was just pulling up as I was pulling in. I was surprised at how good the lift looked from outside the fence. Once inside I was still pleasantly surprised.

We put his wifes Caravan on it and away it went, made some groaning noises going up at some specific points, I could tell that it just needed to be lubed. Up and then coming down is when the problems started.

For one thing the locks do not work, a second of investigating I see that the bicycle looking cable had broken, been broken a long time by the looks of it. No problem, unless I am mistaken I can fix that easy enough.

Lift went down but would not go all the way down, not sure why. Dicking around with it we got it down. At this point I offered him 650 for the lift which he took.

Moved the wifes van and went inside for a few, came back out only to find fluid just oozing out of the line that runs up and over, supplies both cylinders. Seeing this I got pretty disgusted, climbing up there and looking at the line only led to more disgust.

Most of the rubber was just gone, only steel braided line showing.

Seller was more disgusted than me I think, he swears never an issue with the lift, I told him ( just guessing ) that the line would be every bit of a hundred bucks.

Lift price went down to 550.

Started dismantling lift, raised up a bit. pulled arm and tried to lower the lift, nocando.

Arms would not lower at this point, put arms back on and stood on arms ( the three of us ) trying to get them to go down. They would not budge.

I threw my hands up in the air and told him I was just going to have to walk away.

Make a long story less long he said he was just going to abandon the lift, he was selling business and he was done with it. I asked if he was serious about scrapping it and he was.

I offered him 200, he wanted at least three, I told him to split the difference at 2 1/2, he split it at 275.

So for 275 dollars I got from what I can see a very nice ( cosmetically ) lift that has a few maintenance issues.

The arms ( where the big fat pins drop ) are super tight, I dont think the lift has alot of wear, I just think its been owned by people that did not know how to properly care for their equipment.

Good day in all

Attachments

• c.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 333
  • New Image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 311
Hey Justin looks like you got a hell of a deal. Even if you put $300 or $ 400 in it thats a deal. Bill By the way cable that runs overhead is a balance cable so both side lift together.

You were in the right place at the right time 8) Nice buy right there....:thumbup:

Homies are only tough around their people, find this out every day in the hood I work in. one on one, there is no one for him to impress and since I am usually working for him (and control the bill), he is cool to me. But getting back to the lift, SCORE! Hoses would be the first thing I would look to replace anyway. Would love to get a lift in my garage, even 4 feet would do in my 10 foot tall garage.

If it was just a tire shop, you think its just virgin track up that high? Nice and rough?

Thanks guys, what would be possible causes for the lift not going down when the release handle is depressed? Is there something somewhere in the hydraulic system that can be by-passed to make the cylinders piston retract?

I would have though that when I was disassembling it once that I removed the hydraulic hose that the release of pressure would have automatically caused the piston to collapse?

There is a possibility that because the wire was snapped for the safety release that the lift was being caught up within that system but I am not sure at this point.

Hey Justin looks like you got a hell of a deal. Even if you put $300 or $ 400 in it thats a deal. Bill By the way cable that runs overhead is a balance cable so both side lift together.
Jason BTW

Bill, how would one adjust this cable? I did release this cable ( both sides ) via the large nuts.

I did this to make my disassembly happen.

When I go to put it back together Ill need to re-attach these cables and get them adjusted properly.

Might want to get a lift mechanic to go through it after you get it up. They will know all the things to look for and get it adjusted properly.

Just a couple of things for safe installation. The mfg. have specs for the concrete mix, thickness, and spacing of bolts holes from seams or cracks. Look these up and follow them. They are great to have, but make sure it will be safe this year and in a few more.

-
Back