Car paint prices WTF!

-

69MOPE

Reaction score
I just priced a gallon of 1991 Banzai blue and was quoted $625.00. What is going on? Its been a few years since I bought paint but this is crazy!

HVLP guns came out.

The transfer rate went way up.

Higher transfer rate = You need less paint for the same amount being covered.

Paint sales dropped dramatically.

Paint manufacturers reacted by raising the price of paint.

This is one part of the higher cost as explained to me.

Yep makes you think twice about doing the garage paint job anymore. You have so much money invested in paint,thinner, sandpaper,tape, fisheye you just hate to screw it up.

I just priced a gallon of 1991 Banzai blue and was quoted $625.00. What is going on? Its been a few years since I bought paint but this is crazy!

I think there is a bunch of EPA fees also involved. It does pay to shop around on paint. I can buy the same brand and color of paint for a 1/3 to 1/2 less in price depending on color by driving 70 miles.

Paint companies jack up the cost of paint anywhere between 1% to 10% every year, regardless of the economy.

Plus most of the product is highly refined petroleum based, and we all know the price trend there.

I just got everything PPG including,

Paint and Body Material list,

1 Pint PPG DBC Black basecoat (for interior panels)
1 Quart PPG 2021 w/activator (for interior panels)
1 Quart Shopline Satin Black single stage paint (for under hood brackets/components)
1 Quart Chassis Black paint(Shopline is fine if available)
1 Gallon PPG light gray sealer w/medium activator (mid level)
1 Gallon PPG JP202 w/medium activator(primer)
2 Gallons PPG JR506 reducer
1 Gallon PPG DBC Basecoat (paint code 1967 Y-Y Butternut yellow)
1 Gallon PPG Concept "Overall" Urethane Clearcoat w/medium activator(I like 2021)
3 rolls 3/4" masking tape (no green, cheaper tan brand ok)
1 roll 1.5" masking tape (no green, cheaper tan ok)
2 Tubes 3M Fast & Firm seam sealer
2 Quarts Evercoat 100416 w/hardener
1 Roll 80 grit File paper "sticky back" Mirka or Norton whichever cheaper
1 Roll 80 grit DA paper "sticky back" Mirka or Norton whichever cheaper
5 Pieces maroon Scotchbrite
10 sheets Wet/Dry 1000grit sandpaper
1 -5 pack of 3M #01990 cut-off wheels
1-pack of 3M #01991 cut-off wheels
6 cans of a decent rubberized undercoat
2 boxes 3M Roloc 2" 36 grit discs
1 Aerosol can 3m weld-through primer
1 Aerosol can acid etch primer
1 Aeresol can of black trim paint (Satin finish)
1 roll body caulk
1 Quart All-metal Aluminum filler w/hardener
1 Gallon of cheap laquer thinner
1 disposable dryer (attaches to spray gun)
1 large mixing pitcher (Gallon)
10 Mixing cups (Quart, about .35 cents each)
1 3M #07193 respirator
1 cheap pair of painters coveralls
1 Quart of 3M Perfect-it
Stir sticks (Should be free)
Paint strainers(Should be free)
1 tube of windshield urethane with primer
2 rolls of butyl tape
2 paint gun cup filters (Mine is a Satajet 2000)

Local paint supply wanted $1991.41, Drove 45 minutes to Houston and got the same list of materials for $1523.11..... Guess it all depends on where you live!

I personally think you need to find another supplier! No way I would spend over $600 for a gallon of paint!

Just my 2 cents

wont be long you wont be able to buy it without a state body shop number

wont be long you wont be able to buy it without a state body shop number

I thought the East and West coast went to water base products? I know California did! In ten years that I worked at a Ford dealers Body Shop I never once seen anyone from the EPA! OSHA came through once and tried to ticket us $5000 for a razor blade that the wind blew to the floor. What IDIOTS!!!

yeah it's not cheap anymore, I just finished doing my 'cuda and it is NOT a low cost proposition anymore. But if you know what your doing and have a good place to do it it is still lots cheaper then having someone else do it for you.

yeah it's not cheap anymore, I just finished doing my 'cuda and it is NOT a low cost proposition anymore. But if you know what your doing and have a good place to do it it is still lots cheaper then having someone else do it for you.

$6-8000 including jambs depending on color. Not including bodywork. If you scratch a panel during assembly its $400 per panel to repair depending on color and $200 per blend panel.
I'm still cheaper than any shop!

Paint companies jack up the cost of paint anywhere between 1% to 10% every year, regardless of the economy.

I think all companies jack up thier prices every year regardless. Too bad we can't just give ourselves a raise whenever we please. Then we could actually afford this stuff.

My wife's fingernail polish runs about $4 for a .5 oz bottle. 128 ounces in a gallon * 8.00 an ounce equals $1,024.00 per gallon. Does your paint seem expensive now?

~Michael

Give tcp global a call very nice paint and reasonable to.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/rspcolors.aspx

i just had my car painted and im very happy.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=163633

last page has recent pics,the guy who painted my car said the paint laid nice covered well and tcp global says they can match any factory paint.

I use them too. Great source for paints and misc paint supplies in my opinion.

I got this for my car:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/rsp2917.aspx

I got the delux single stage kit. made in USA. cost 120 / kit - gallon.
Smooth, shiny, thick. Single stage for interior, trunk, underside, engine bay. Going to get the base / clear for exterior car.

Heres a couple pics. I put the single stage paint over a dousing of epoxy primer, which was over sand blasted metal which had some eastwood frame coating rattle can sprayed here and there to enhance the crevice protection.

My only comment is the metal flake is prominent (visible).

I painted it while it was a little cool in the shop. I think it flowed out well w/o running except where I layed it on too heavy.

Attachments

• (206).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 689
  • (215).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 668
  • (220).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 700
  • (235).jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 644
looks like you well on your way keep the pictures coming! Lots of blocking and priming I was fortunate enough to have started with a rust free car (had been sitting in a garage for 27 years). after stripping it to metal I then realized the filler that was in it was over done.
I wanted to go with oem med turquoise met but they said only a mix in omni. I said - it's straight! black please, I ended up going with ppg concept in black

Wait until they start requiring water based paint. All the reducers, hardeners, etc ... will all be out the window. Can't wait to see what it will cost for that stuff.

Wait until they start requiring water based paint. All the reducers, hardeners, etc ... will all be out the window. Can't wait to see what it will cost for that stuff.

Over twice the cost! The reducer is just demineralized water.The Dealer I worked for just switched and my buddy hates the stuff. He had to buy new guns which gets costly as well. Takes forever to flash even in a heated booth and very hard to see coverage with just the base on. Totally different color after the clear is applied too. I hated it when we were schooled on it at PPG classes! I have no desire to use the stuff myself! I will stick with the Solvent based products.

-
Back