Car runs for a few seconds then dies

-

Dartalltheway

Reaction score
My slant 6 with a two barrel runs for a few seconds and then dies. I can keep it going if I floor the gas pedal repeatedly. It's an 85 engine and all the hoses are hooked up correctly to the carb. Any help appreciated.

fuel pump......stuck float.......vacuum leak.......accelerator pump

look down the throat of the carb with the engine off, you should get an immediate shot of fuel when you crack the throttle. im guessing this is a fuel issue

fuel pump......stuck float.......vacuum leak.......accelerator pump

look down the throat of the carb with the engine off, you should get an immediate shot of fuel when you crack the throttle. im guessing this is a fuel issue

Plugged up filter. :D

No choke in Oregon at this time of year?

Do you know how to feather the throttle?

It could be a ton of things. Process of elimination is where I would start. Like hook the fuel pump to a line straight out of a gas can (use common since here). This will eliminate the gas tank being the problem if it still dies on you. Kind down those lines. Sounds fuel related.

check your ballast resistor
i shoulda red complete post.had you stated it starts and dies. and not that pumping gas will keep it running. so your ballast is ok.
try manually choking it with an extra set of hands or like mentioned. keep feathering it for awhile and see what happens

If the carb (Carter BBD?, you didn't tell us) and other engine controls are 1985, you have your hands full. That was the last-gasp effort of carburetors w/ complicated vacuum controls, O2 feedback solenoid, etc. Not much documentation on how it is supposed to work and many things to go wrong. As mentioned, could be spark instead of fuel. Do you have the "lean burn" ignition system? You didn't give us much to go on.

It's a Holley 2280, and I believe it is the lean system. The fuel filter isn't plugged, after having someone help manually work the choke the car still didn't run right. After it warmed up, It wouldn't accelerate right, and with butterfly open still wanted to die.

vacuum leak, disconnect ALL lines and plug. spray WATER around intake and see if it changes forced idle.

-
Back