Car Show Embarrassment

-

RogerK

Reaction score
I went to the Artioli Dodge show today in Enfield,CT. A nice cool drive up there and the car ran ok. Had to wait in line to register and the car got hot. I parked, shut it off and it puked! All over the parking lot. Over filled the oveflow bottle.

I felt like getting back in the car and going home. I got a towel from a friend at the show and cleaned the mess up so nobody tracked it all over but not before many folks got some good pictures.

I did stay and took lots of pictures and saw alot of nice cars. It was a beautiful day to be outside. Once cool I checked the radiator, it was a little low as it siphoned back what was in the overflow bottle.I topped it off and the car ran ok going home.

I still feel like crap, though. :|

CoolantPuke.jpg

u made the show had a good time and made it home **** happens

First run on the '57 Chevy in my avatar was in parade. For three miles. First time the car had been run any distance since break-in. In a parade. For three miles. Watched the owner cruise by, waving giant Mickey Mouse hands while a friend of his drove the car. At the very end of the parade. For three miles. Walked up to the where the parade ended to see the car sitting with the hood up, anti-freeze sprayed all over the engine compartment. Not a big mess, but much embarrassment. The owner wasn't worried. He let the car cool down and his friend drove it home. The next day I dropped a lower temp thermostat in it, because I forget to take into account that the car would be driven in parades. For three miles.
Can understand how you feel....

How was the show? did they have a good turnout? I went to the Southbury show. The southbury show was gigantic they put all the mopars in one area for judging. Some nice stuff but very few A-bodies. The 70 challenger T/A was the best by far.

**** man, you'd be hard pressed to find many cars that dont puke everywhere down here in South Carolina in the summer! Especially big blocks.

ahhh **** happens. seen it happen to tons of cars.

X2. No big deal. Stuff happens. Anyone who knows anything about cars would let this slide. I saw the same thing when I got back to my '92 Cherokee after buying dog food last week. It was a cracked radiator side tank though....

Seen it a thousand times over,last one was a 70 hemi cuda,he was embarresed but what do you do?Much better then pissin your pants!:-D

Ahh, big deal. At least you made it there. Neat car you have there.

If it makes you feel any better, my friend hit a manhole cover at National Trail Raceway one year at the nats. He blew a hole in his oil pan. We never got ramps out for the trailer any faster than we did that day so we could get it loaded before it ran out of oil. It made a HUGE mess on the trailer that took a couple good washings with chemical to get clean again. Also wrecked the cruising for the rest of the weekend.

I hate it when chit happens. Same thing happened to me at work. It cooled down and never happened again. T-sat most likely got stuck. That's all.

Last year after getting the Dart engine in for the 3rd time and headed for a show at The Paddock with this fresh engine, we were on the interstate and since changing the gears from 3.23 to 3.73 and not changing the speedo gear had no idea how fast I was running, but turning 3,600 for a while and still getting passed.

We stopped to meet some others and everything was fine. Once back on the interstate I noticed the temp going up and the light for the electric fan didn't come on (put idiot ight in so I would know when fan was on, cannot hear it) when we got off the interstate the temp went up more but only had a mile or so and at highway speed, I just waited to get there to check it. Get to Paddock and get parked and temp about 220, get out and it pucks all over the parking lot (wish I had parked in the grass) Yes, I was embaressed, I cleaned up the antifreeze ASAP and started in investigate. I had melted the fuse holder for the electric fan for some reason.

I had to borrow a friends truck to go into town and get a new fuse holder, some wire, wire connectors, crimp tool and tape. So in front of all these people I had to fix it to drive home. Don't know why it melted the fuse holder but I still have people ask about it from time to time.

As they say, **** happens, I'm not the 1st and won't be the last

No big, that could happen to anyone. I know how you feel though. I drove my Fury over a cement parking lot island, a big ka-blam! and everyone turned and looked. I felt really stupid.

yeah its no big deal, your car isnt done yet. at least you have it on the road. its just marking its territory.

Seen it a thousand times over,last one was a 70 hemi cuda,he was embarresed but what do you do?Much better then pissin your pants!:-D

yeah its no big deal, your car isnt done yet. at least you have it on the road. its just marking its territory.

Hey, Thanks for all the kind words. These ones made me laugh. I do feel much better now.

I'll get some pictures from the show up later today when I can. O:)

meh....

I am sure the "Trailer Queen" folks had their noses in the air.

but then you DID drive there.

Nice 66 :-D

I once went to a all makes show and was the only Mopar there. When it was time to leave my starter decided now was as good a time as any to go bad. I had to get out and beat on the starter to get it to turn over in front of a bunch of non mopar people. Actually, everyone was very cool about it and offered help. I laugh about it now.

Scott

Last year after getting the Dart engine in for the 3rd time and headed for a show at The Paddock with this fresh engine, we were on the interstate and since changing the gears from 3.23 to 3.73 and not changing the speedo gear had no idea how fast I was running, but turning 3,600 for a while and still getting passed.

We stopped to meet some others and everything was fine. Once back on the interstate I noticed the temp going up and the light for the electric fan didn't come on (put idiot ight in so I would know when fan was on, cannot hear it) when we got off the interstate the temp went up more but only had a mile or so and at highway speed, I just waited to get there to check it. Get to Paddock and get parked and temp about 220, get out and it pucks all over the parking lot (wish I had parked in the grass) Yes, I was embaressed, I cleaned up the antifreeze ASAP and started in investigate. I had melted the fuse holder for the electric fan for some reason.

I had to borrow a friends truck to go into town and get a new fuse holder, some wire, wire connectors, crimp tool and tape. So in front of all these people I had to fix it to drive home. Don't know why it melted the fuse holder but I still have people ask about it from time to time.

As they say, **** happens, I'm not the 1st and won't be the last

Are you running a relay to the fan or just a fuse?
If not, you will be popping fuses/ switches with no relay.

Oh by the way, I have puked out a bit a coupe times at car shows until I realized my radiator had a happy spot so I quit topping off and never puked out any since.
I have seen many cars at shows puke anti-freeze.
yeah it's embarrasing, but normal.

Man don't feel bad. Back when we had our big block willys sedan it used to puke everywhere we took it. My parents eventually just shrugged and rolled their eyes... then they'd break out the water jugs and top it off before we left, haha.

meh....

I am sure the "Trailer Queen" folks had their noses in the air.

but then you DID drive there.

Nice 66 :-D

Funny you say that, I was parked next to a full race, unregistered, always trailered Dart. What really tweaked me was someone hanging around with his group of friends was leaning on my car!

I walked up to him and nicely said. " I know it's only primer, but don't lean on the car."

All I got was a "My bad." No respect jerk.

I overheated one time waiting to register. You could not park until you register. It must have been 90 degrees. My car was the only one with the hood up beside the reg line. Lol.

No problem Roger, My car left a nice oil spot 10 feet from your Antifreeze. LOL.

I still have a few hundred images to process and post to the Mopars in Motion club site but I have about 100 up so far.

A couple of my favorite shots so far.

I love the "Colors of Fall"
img_3143.jpg

img_3131.jpg

img_3151.jpg

img_3105.jpg

Puddles?Huh!I snapped an axel at the track,talk about embarrased.I had the car pulled off the track over to me trailer.I stuffed the axel back in and cranked it up on the trailer.Learned my lesson of the day with 8 1/4 rears.I now have 8 3/4 in both my cars.

-
Back