Car Show vent

-

gunbunny

Reaction score
First off, let me say, I never go to a car show intending to win or walk away with anything. I usually go to support what ever group or cause that's putting on the show. Having said that, if they're going to have a judged show, the judging should be fair.
Went to a show, sat there and for the most part had an OK time. The show was on the banks of the Ohio River so the view was great. A team of 3 judges came by and did their thing.
toward the end of the show, one of the 3 judges came walking by with a friend. He was pointing out some of the cars. I overheard him make the statement to his buddy "I only like Chevy's and I really like Corvette's, so I just gave all of them a 10 all the way down the sheet."
This show gave away a top 25, best GM, Ford, Mopar and Import and a Chief's award. Of the top 25, 7 of the cars were vettes, best GM went to a vette, and best Mopar went to a AMC Rambler (go figure) no real Mopar won a thing.
I have no illusions of grandeur, there was a Road Runner next to me that was awesome, it blew the doors off of my car. in all there was 8 mopars there, all great cars.
There was a 49 Buick Roadmaster that is a high 90 point car. This car was sharp, no doubt about it. It didn't get in the top 25.
I would rather they spent the money they spent on trophies on things like goody bags or t-shirts for the entrants. If not, then maybe some fair judging should take place.
Maybe I'm just being a whinny *****.

I agree with you on the car show scene. Most times, the same people who go to every show end up winning the trophies, How many times I have gone out to these shows to see the same cars win the trophies. It does get old. Sometimes there are exceptions but all in all it is the same old tired story. Hey I do not care anymore, How many of these trophy queens can say that their cars have been in not one but two commercials? Not any that I know of, that is good enough for me. My car has got so much airplay that no matter where I take it, people recognize it as that car in the Sheetz Gas station commercial.

you have to really develop a thick skin on the show circuit , ask my fellow islander who posted pics of the only mopar show on the island .held at a dealership and run by people who don't like his family he lost best truck in a 2 truck field to a plain old truck that was no where near as unique as his truck, the same show last year gave the so called peoples choice award voted by the people to a car that came in on a flat bed wrecker 20 minutes before the voting ended after 4 hours of people coming and going and after most people had long gone home ,it's a joke their is no judging if you are this guys friend or that guy did your work then you will win when it is your turn heck one guy 3 years ago got a best paint trophy { never awarded before or since } for a car with runs and sagging drops of dried colour and clear coat all along the underside of the rockers and quarters ,just go meet knew people and support the charities and laugh at the self important judges fooling only themselves

I won't speak for other organizations or clubs, but at our club's (Inland Mopars) annual all-Mopar car show we do our very best offer fair judging for all entries.
Most importantly, none of our members cars are eligible for any individual awards. We urge our members to bring their cars for display and then ask either someone from the charity our show is benefiting or the property owner to pick their favorite 4 or 5 members cars for a club award.
All entries are judged using the same format and awards presented to highest point cars.
This year we had a former club member enter their car for judging in our show. Just to avoid any possible claim of favoritism, we asked members from another local Mopar club to judge the entire class that the former members car was entered in.
We've seen too many instances of unfair/biased judging so we go overboard to be as fair and honest as possible.

I've had run-ins like this.

I've also detailed at length for the organization putting on the show with the judges assembled, how the judges were less than knowledgeable about cars.

No one liked hearing what I had to say, but all of them knew that I was right.

That's why I don't register, don't care because people with more money than brains build or (buy) chevys, and mopar guys have more brains than money so we just go to have fun and look at the chevy guys make asses out of themselves.....unless we are buddies with chevy guys who also like Mopars then it gets confusing, but in that case, we band together and mess with the judges who don't know why we are looking at them funny.

Most of the time local shows are a joke. Usually they allow anybody who shows up to vote. By this I mean all the dumb *** people who look for the one that shiniest or has the most chrome. I've quite going to them as they are not worth my time. I am goimg to Monster Mopar Weekend as a nonjudged car. My car has enough what I call are normal performance mods to put it in the modified class. This class has all the cars with the smoothed firewalls, custom dashes, hidden wireing, etc. The same father/son team has won this class for the last 2 years. One has a 68 and the other a 69. They break the class between the 68 and 69(early and late 2 classes). Granted they have beautiful extremely nice cars and are super nice guys, but I think someone else needs to win. My car can't compete against them since it is a street and strip driven and for the most part sees the road every week. Wheww man I got long winded. Sorry..

When I was living in MD my, now ex, boyfriend and I would go to different carshows in the area. The bf drove a beautiful 1949 Dodge Coronet that was built in the traditional custom style. The metal work on it was absolutely perfect and he built it from ground up and created all of the one of a kind pieces with his own hands. In my eyes this car was the best looking car at every show we went to. The judges at these shows would, of course, give the trophies to one of the shiny cars. After a while, we formed a sense of humor about it and decided to buy a few vintage trophies to place around the car at the shows. So, as all the guys with the shiny cars were setting out all their shiny car show trophies, we were displaying our collection of old trophies for sailing, surfing, cheerleading and various other non-car activities lol.

HPIM0206.GIF

I do agree with alot of statements here. I myself go to shows to get trophies truly only for biz purposes, since this is what I do for work...but I have seen time and time again, the wrong people judging...

Even Mopar shows where a club puts it on and "members" win when its obvious their car doesn't deserve it.

If you think judging is bad...go to a NCRS or Bloomington Gold show.......those judges will rail you if the finish on your bolt is just a hair off....

corvette judges= shoving a lump a coal up one's *** and turn into a diamond in 1 day....

I never stick around for the trophy givings. I can appreciate the time and effort people put into their competition show cars, but it's not really my thing. I like seeing people's drivers or rolling projects more than the trailer queens.

I did have a judge and his buddy tell me everything "wrong" with my car after I told him it's my driver and not a show car. I don't think it registered in their brains that these cars are actually driven, upgraded, or changed to suite the driver's tastes, not theirs.

I do agree with alot of statements here. I myself go to shows to get trophies truly only for biz purposes, since this is what I do for work...but I have seen time and time again, the wrong people judging...

Even Mopar shows where a club puts it on and "members" win when its obvious their car doesn't deserve it.

If you think judging is bad...go to a NCRS or Bloomington Gold show.......those judges will rail you if the finish on your bolt is just a hair off....

corvette judges= shoving a lump a coal up one's *** and turn into a diamond in 1 day....

That is so true ^^^^^^^^

I did Corvettes years ago....had fun......but the judging was very
articulate (hope I spelled that correct)

I know where you are coming from. Went to a show a couple years ago where every Chevelle and Mustang won, even the ones with rusty components in the engine bay. Another guy with a nice GTO won, but a close look at his car shows the vinyl roof bubbling up and all around the tail lights where the rust is.
Oh well, some of these guys were truly embarrassed that they won and others didn't. We just don't go to that event any more.
C

I only go to shows to check out the other cars and talk with other car guys. I don't stay for the awards.

My buddy just traded four of his cars for a 64 corvette with a 67 front clip.

The first place he took it to he got flamed by every corvette "expert" on the planet so after getting flamed one too many times his response to them was "Hey, I bought the friggin car because I always wanted a corvette, I could care less if it is two of them pieced together and painted-so if you have a problem with this we can go over there in the grass and talk about it some more." LOL.

I told him he should have kept the dart because nobody knows how to pick Mopars apart plus they are wayyy cooler than corvettes.

I will only vote for the four door cars, so they won't let me judge...:protest:

burg

Car shows should include awards in the "daily driver" class, and gas receipts should be required to PROVE the car is daily driven.

I put on a monthly Cruise-In at a local Diner, entry if free, lots of door prizes, a 50/50 raffle for a local charity (varies), and everyone is welcome. 11 Awards are given, all but one by popular vote (everyone gets to vote). We get a great variety of cars, including a lot of Mopars (our Mopar club meets at the same Diner), and EVERTYONE has fun! Awards go to a wide variety of cars (including Mopars), and the shows last only 3 hours, so folks don't get tired of just "hanging out". This is MY idea of having fun with your car.
If anyone is in the Atlanta, GA area, please PM me for detail, we would love to have you join us!

-
Back