Car Title Run Around !! Grrr

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
Ok... so how is it I hear of all kinds of people able to obtain car titles for abandoned and lost title cars ? Maybe its just Idaho but I am sure getting the run around on my Demon. This car is legit. However, the previously registered owner passed away in 1985. I cannot find any known family members to talk to on it. The car was last registered in 1989 in Carson City, Nevada. I have been on the phone with their title research guy. He is helpful up to a point. He cant legally tell me the last name on the registration, but did inform me to contact next of kin. Hmmm... must be him that had it registered then ?? Assume ? Still no good... dont know who next of kin is.
Gave up in Nevada. Started working angles here in Idaho with the local DMV. What a bunch of morons. Basically telling me they cant do anything and I need to contact Carson City. Duh.... I tell them I have. So they tell me I need to get a local Sherrif to do a vin inspection. What for ? I guess to see if its a stolen car. As it is not a stolen car, that seems moot except for they might need the report at the DMV. I call the Sherrifs office and inquire. They call it a abandoned car and can and most likely will take the car. Uh... thats not the plan. Ixnay that ! I found some info on obtaining a "Bonded" car title which sound like the way I might have to go...Does anyone live in a State where they have had a "bonded" car title ?? This car has been sitting in a field for over 20 years and no one has cared a bit about it. Its not listed anywhere as a stolen car. I have the dead guys name who owned it... he obviously isnt coming back to get it... sheesh.... anyone have any ideas? Bonded car title ?? anything ?

-RPM

So who sold the car to you?

If you have a friend in the used car biz, they may be able to accquire the last name for you. I had a motorcycle once with the same predicament and a car dealer friend found the previous owner info through his "network", good luck

Broad way has obtained titles for a lot of people that are in the same situation that you are in, here and on the old Kawasaki Triples site and Honda CBX site.

So who sold the car to you?

If you have a friend in the used car biz, they may be able to accquire the last name for you. I had a motorcycle once with the same predicament and a car dealer friend found the previous owner info through his "network", good luck

The original owners friend had the car sitting in his backyard for the last 20 years. I know this guy and its all straight up. He has given me all the info he knows on the p.o. which as I believe is all correct according to Carson City. I do know some people in the car biz so I will see what they can shed some more light on the situation. Thanks for the ideas. I was a little suspicious at first when this all came about, but confirmed car was never stolen or listed missing anywhere through Carson City. And this guy that had the car has valid info... just not "all" the info needed !

-RPM

Ok thanks for the insight guys. I will contact Broadway and see what they think. I have another avenue locally I am trying too.

-RPM

Before you go droping $350.00 down the drain ....go over your options.

I also had title troubles with my duster key word is " HAD ".

the secretary of state (dmv) told me there was nothing they could do for me and that I would have to contact the original owner and have them apply for lost title....problem was ....I did not know the original owner (last registered owner) and the dmv would not release the information.

I could POSSIBLY file for an abandoned title but they changed the law of applying for an abandoned title to obtain owner ship....so all applying for one does really is allows a wrecker to come pick it up and charge YOU with the bill to remove it from your property and without the option to purchase it back from the yard.

after about a week and no luck i started looking into the bonded title services and I really wasnt liking the prices and some of the stuff just looked fishy and I didnt feel comfortable with it.

soooooooooo

I hopped on the internet and found and email address to my local sheriff department.... I get an email back from an officer and he says he used to own a duster when he was younger and that he was a big hotrod/mopar guy and that he would love it if i would bring the duster by for the "boys" to see when i finished restoring it......he then says " not many people know about this and secretary of state will not tell you about this but go in and ask them for a TR-205 form" ......so I go in and do just that ....and the lady looks at me with a blank stare like "how do you know about this?" LOL.

they pulled the form out....I wrote my name and the date down,the year make and model of the car and the vin number....I had to wait 15 minutes for them to run the vin through there system to make sure it wasnt stolen upon which time they said "ok here ya go....the title will arrive in the mail it 3-5 days ....that will be a total of $12.00" That's right I said $12.00 !!! thats it!!!.

this is not applying for a lost title or an abandoned title and it does not come back as a salvaged or a rebuilt title...you get a 100% clean and clear title back.

it is basically an application of ownership.

I did this jsut a few months back here in MI ....I am sure they have something similar where you are located so don't stop looking just yet.

Maybe you can cross reference the TR-205 form to your state?

good luck and I hope that helps a bit

This is why I never even look at a car without a title. If it is "so easy" then the seller should have the title in hand.

It's not my job to hand over cash then figure out if I can get the thing licensed.

Is this the contact information you have for Nevada?

Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711
775-684-4549
775-684-4692

I have to believe it's more in who you talk to. I had lost my Title for my 69 and went down to the Secretary of State in upper Michigan. They had no record of my car when they ran the vin as I had not had a plate on it in years. They printed me a replacement Title right on the spot but warned me if the car wasn't really mine the title could.....be contested. took about 15 minutes. I did find the original eventually but I could not believe how easy it all was?
Joe

I have to believe it's more in who you talk to. I had lost my Title for my 69 and went down to the Secretary of State in upper Michigan. They had no record of my car when they ran the vin as I had not had a plate on it in years. They printed me a replacement Title right on the spot but warned me if the car wasn't really mine the title could.....be contested. took about 15 minutes. I did find the original eventually but I could not believe how easy it all was?
Joe

Same here.....once knowing how and what I had to do going the route I went ( or going the route you went for that matter ) It is pretty easy to do.

Someone could steal your car and set it in there garage for a few years (long enough for a stolen car report to be erased from the history of the vin) and they could go in and get it legal in there name.

as long as you have a vin number it can be done.....only problem is,it would only be a matter of time before you got in trouble if you purposely got a title for a stolen car or you were being sneaky about a deal or something.

But for a matter such as owning a car and not having a title and knowing its not stolen there is not problems.

Yep have someone do a storage lien on it for more money than it is remotely worth and in 45 days it will be yours. Assuming you are good friends with the somebody doing the lien and that they aren't going to screw you over.

HA! DusterDude... that was the other avenue someone had told me about just today. I have not had a chance yet to look into it. Thanks !!!

A lein is the other option I was looking into. As well. So at least I think I am at least following the trail some of you have. I dont like the Broadway thing... they prob do legit biz... but I think they just found a loophole around the laws. Plus I dont really like the idea of THEM owning the car for a while.... might be a very last resort thing. I do appreciate all the ideas and help given.. I am pursuing... to what avail.... I dont know yet !

-RPM

You want to check on the lien sale or storage sale in your state to make sure it will come back with a regular title.
In some states it comes back with a salvage title.
In some states it comes back with a junk title.
Here in Oklahoma it comes back a regular title.

Does the Idaho DMV have a website with the vehicle code?

It may take some investigating on your part, but, could save you a lot of grief. Look on the site as to what is required to title/register an out of state car.

I did a bit of scrounging around.....

Here is the form I had to fill out here in michigan to get my title. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr-205_16198_7.pdf

Here is some info on some stuff in your state i found.....this is info on a conditional title http://itd.idaho.gov/DMV/VehicleServices/ConditionalTitleFactSheet.htm

And this is also in your state and looks like it MAY be your states version of the document i had to fill out to get my title?.....if that is the case than you would need to go to your DMV and request a ITD 3337 form I believe is what it would be called. http://itd.idaho.gov/DMV/VehicleServices/documents/3337.pdf

I hope some of this helps you out? if not than keep looking....I found this stuff just in a brief search....if you look even more you may find more stuff yet!

I did a bit of scrounging around.....

Here is the form I had to fill out here in michigan to get my title. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/tr-205_16198_7.pdf

Here is some info on some stuff in your state i found.....this is info on a conditional title http://itd.idaho.gov/DMV/VehicleServices/ConditionalTitleFactSheet.htm

And this is also in your state and looks like it MAY be your states version of the document i had to fill out to get my title?.....if that is the case than you would need to go to your DMV and request a ITD 3337 form I believe is what it would be called. http://itd.idaho.gov/DMV/VehicleServices/documents/3337.pdf

I hope some of this helps you out? if not than keep looking....I found this stuff just in a brief search....if you look even more you may find more stuff yet!

I have used the same form in Michigan to get titles. If its under I think 2500 dollar value and its not stolen you get a title clear in your name mailed within a week.

Ok... so how is it I hear of all kinds of people able to obtain car titles for abandoned and lost title cars ? Maybe its just Idaho but I am sure getting the run around on my Demon. This car is legit. However, the previously registered owner passed away in 1985. I cannot find any known family members to talk to on it. The car was last registered in 1989 in Carson City, Nevada. I have been on the phone with their title research guy. He is helpful up to a point. He cant legally tell me the last name on the registration, but did inform me to contact next of kin. Hmmm... must be him that had it registered then ?? Assume ? Still no good... dont know who next of kin is.
Gave up in Nevada. Started working angles here in Idaho with the local DMV. What a bunch of morons. Basically telling me they cant do anything and I need to contact Carson City. Duh.... I tell them I have. So they tell me I need to get a local Sherrif to do a vin inspection. What for ? I guess to see if its a stolen car. As it is not a stolen car, that seems moot except for they might need the report at the DMV. I call the Sherrifs office and inquire. They call it a abandoned car and can and most likely will take the car. Uh... thats not the plan. Ixnay that ! I found some info on obtaining a "Bonded" car title which sound like the way I might have to go...Does anyone live in a State where they have had a "bonded" car title ?? This car has been sitting in a field for over 20 years and no one has cared a bit about it. Its not listed anywhere as a stolen car. I have the dead guys name who owned it... he obviously isnt coming back to get it... sheesh.... anyone have any ideas? Bonded car title ?? anything ?

-RPM

Did ya get a bill of sale?
My state does a sheriffs inspection when comming in ferom another state.
Indiana only needs bill of sale no title for anything 75 and before.
Ie: If I was helping someone in Ohio or KY, They could give me a bill of sale (witnessed or notorized) and I could get clean title with that here in IN, after having an "out of state" inspection. Then I could sign that back over to them.
That's the way I roll here, but I'm sure your state is different. Did you get a bill of sale?:read2:

-
Back